Velocity Reviews

-   -   Exorcist: The Begining (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271973-exorcist-the-begining.html)

Owl Jolson 03-02-2005 05:28 PM

Exorcist: The Begining

I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least a
'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

Jay G. 03-02-2005 05:55 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:28:44 -0600, Owl Jolson wrote:

> I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
> absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
> Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least a
> 'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

The DVD for sale has a making of, a commentary track, and the trailer for
the film.

-Jay

AceoHearts 03-02-2005 06:32 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday and the disc has, a Making of
Featurette, trailers, and commentary. Looks like either there are 2
versions or you got a bad DVD.

AceoHearts

Incremental Jones 03-02-2005 08:44 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

"Owl Jolson" <souse@xev1.net> wrote in message
>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
> absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
> Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least
> 'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite direction.

M.B. 03-02-2005 10:04 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

Incremental Jones wrote:
> "Owl Jolson" <souse@xev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there were
>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at least
>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite direction.

They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
Paul Schrader version at a later date.

TB 03-02-2005 10:13 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

"M.B." wrote:

>>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there
>>>were
>>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at
>>>least a
>>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

>> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>> direction.

> They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
> Paul Schrader version at a later date.

Continuing on this subject, I was surprised that the movie wasn't that bad,
certainly not the utter bomb I had heard it was when it opened in theaters.

Obviously it would have to be a catastrophic failure to match or surpass
Exorcist 2 and while I liked the genuinely creepy tone of E3, I think EtB is
a bit better and more entertaining movie. It almost reminds me of an
extended episode of X-Files or Millennium.

I certainly liked it a *lot* better than "Constantine."

T.B.

Incremental Jones 03-02-2005 10:21 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

"M.B." <NOSPAM@FORYOU.com> wrote in message
news:4MqVd.5333$DW.4193@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com ...
> Incremental Jones wrote:
>> "Owl Jolson" <souse@xev1.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I rented the dvd from Blockbuster and was surprised to find that there
>>>were
>>>absolutely NO extras, nada... zip!
>>>Was this done deliberately? I figured that they would've included at
>>>least a
>>>'Making Of' or a deleted scene or two.

>> I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>> this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>> direction.

> They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
> Paul Schrader version at a later date.

That's gotta be a first but they have nothing to loose and a bit of expenses
to recoup.

I wonder if they'll ever release the original version of Kangaroo Jack that
didn't center on the kangaroo.
Not that I want to see it.

M.B. 03-02-2005 10:21 PM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

TB wrote:

>>>I had read a while back that they were going to release BOTH versions of
>>>this movie when the DVD came out. Guess they went in the opposite
>>>direction.

>>They changed that decision a while back. They're going to release the
>>Paul Schrader version at a later date.

> Continuing on this subject, I was surprised that the movie wasn't that bad,
> certainly not the utter bomb I had heard it was when it opened in theaters.
>
> Obviously it would have to be a catastrophic failure to match or surpass
> Exorcist 2 and while I liked the genuinely creepy tone of E3, I think EtB is
> a bit better and more entertaining movie. It almost reminds me of an
> extended episode of X-Files or Millennium.
>
> I certainly liked it a *lot* better than "Constantine."
>
> T.B.

I was greatly disappointed by it. It was filled with a lot of cheap
scares and little to no substance. I'm curious to see what the Schrader
version is going to be like, assuming that the studio exec that produced
it (don't remember his name this instant) allows him to cut and edit it
the way he wants it to be edited.

andrew.upton4 03-03-2005 12:16 AM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

This practice of releasing TWO versions of the same film on DVD is normal in
England.
The RENTAL version which you hire from Blockbuster etc has little or no
extras, whereas the RETAIL version has all the extras.
This is because the DVD manufacturers would rather you BUY the DVD instead
of RENTING it.
news:k%qVd.5342$DW.2428@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com ...

Incremental Jones 03-03-2005 12:43 AM

Re: Exorcist: The Begining

"andrew.upton4" <andrew.upton4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> This practice of releasing TWO versions of the same film on DVD is normal
> in
> England.
> The RENTAL version which you hire from Blockbuster etc has little or no
> extras, whereas the RETAIL version has all the extras.
> This is because the DVD manufacturers would rather you BUY the DVD instead
> of RENTING it.

I understand that, but I was referring to the release of two different
versions of the film itself. Paul Schrader directed a version of Exorcist
The Beginning which the producers hated so they hired a lesser but more
popularist director to shoot an entierly new version. Kangaroo Jack
apparently started out as a story of two guys in the outback but the only
good scenes were the ones with the kangaroo, so they shut down rewrote it to
be about the kangaroo and made it the cinema classic it is today.