Velocity Reviews

-   -   MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271876-media-censorship-and-propaganda-inthe-us.html)

JA 02-22-2005 07:34 AM

MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
admitted there are none?

How is it possible that millions of Americans believe the recent election in
Iraq showed that Iraqis are in favor of the ongoing occupation of their
country? In reality, the determination displayed by the roughly 59 percent
of registered voters who participated in the election did so because they
felt it would bring about an end to the U.S. occupation.

How do so many Americans wonder why more Iraqis each day are supporting both
violent and non-violent movements of resistance to the occupation when after
the U.S. government promised to help rebuild Iraq, a mere 2 percent of
reconstruction contracts were awarded to Iraqi concerns and the
infrastructure lies in shambles?

It's because overall, mainstream media reportage in the United States about
the occupation in Iraq is being censured, distorted, threatened by the
military and controlled by corporations that own the outlets.

Recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Eason Jordan, a
CNN executive, told a panel that the U.S. military deliberately targeted
journalists in Iraq. He said he "knew of about 12 journalists who had not
only been killed by American troops, but had been targeted as a matter of
policy," said Rep. Barney Frank, a Democrat from Massachusetts who was on
the panel with Jordan.

When we hear this statement with the knowledge that 63 journalists have been
killed in Iraq, in addition to the fact that in a 14-month-period, more
journalists were killed in Iraq than during the entire Vietnam War, one
begins to get the feeling that the military clampdown on the media is more
than a myth or a conspiracy theory.

(Editor's note: Jordan has since resigned from CNN, telling fellow CNN
staffers: "I never meant to imply U.S. forces acted with ill intent when
U.S. forces accidentally killed journalists, and I apologize to anyone who
thought I said or believed otherwise.")

I've personally witnessed photographers in Baghdad who have had their
cameras either confiscated or smashed by soldiers, who were, of course,
acting on orders from their superiors. And no, the journalists weren't
trying to photograph something that would jeopardize the security of the
soldiers.

Even Christiane Amanpour, CNN's top war correspondent, announced on national
television that her own network was censuring her journalism.

Most Americans don't know that on any given day, an average of three U.S.
soldiers die in Iraq as a result of 75 attacks every single day on U.S.
forces or that Iraqi civilian deaths average 10 times that amount.

Most Americans also don't know there are four permanent U.S. military bases
in Iraq, with the Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root diligently
constructing 10 others.

Most Americans don't know overall troop morale in Iraq resembles that of the
Vietnam War, with tours being extended and stop-loss orders imposed.

Nor do most folks know where billions of their tax dollars have been spent
that were supposed to be used in the reconstruction of Iraq.

But who can blame Americans when the military and mainstream media continue,
day in and day out, to distort, deny and destroy the truth before it reaches
the audience back home? An international peoples' initiative called the
World Tribunal on Iraq met in Rome to focus on media complicity in the
crimes committed against the people of Iraq as well as U.S. citizens who are
paying with their blood and tax dollars to maintain the occupation. The
tribunal found Western mainstream media outlets guilty of incitement to
violence and the deliberate misleading of people into the war and ongoing
occupation of Iraq.

Makes you wonder what else Americans aren't being told about Iraq. After
spending eight of the past 14 months reporting fromIraq, I can tell you the
points made here are just the tip of the iceberg.

Brenda White 02-22-2005 08:53 AM

PROOF THAT LIBERALS HATE MANKIND ==> MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

Bill Turner 02-22-2005 10:18 AM

Re: MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:34:19 +1300, "JA" <jasmineaa@yahoo.om> wrote:

>How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
>weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
>admitted there are none?

How is it possible someone could post this question to a DVD discussion
group? Are they dumber than Bush?

--
BT

Alex Smith 02-22-2005 03:12 PM

Re: PROOF THAT LIBERALS HATE MANKIND - A peculiar sense of facts

Gonna have to explain further for this liberal boy. What is the analysis
behind the argument that 'liberals hate mankind'? I always thought it was
the right and fascists who are indifferent to people, and this is spelled
out through wars, oppression, and supreme arrogance by republicans over the
past 3 or so years.
news:1109061737.a10deda76d51f111249e85662bf334b2@m eganetnews2...

SteveL 02-22-2005 03:23 PM

Re: PROOF THAT LIBERALS HATE MANKIND - A peculiar sense of facts

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:12:53 +0000 (UTC), "Alex Smith"
<alastairmcgowan@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Gonna have to explain further for this liberal boy. What is the analysis
>behind the argument that 'liberals hate mankind'? I always thought it was
>the right and fascists who are indifferent to people, and this is spelled
>out through wars, oppression, and supreme arrogance by republicans over the
>past 3 or so years.

Nah. There has been a concerted history revision exercise whereby
Nazism and fascism is to be regarded as a leftwing/liberal creed.

The exercise has been remarkably successful with a significant number
of the dumber and more hate-filled neocons.

02-22-2005 03:32 PM

Re: MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

Bill Turner posted:

> How is it possible someone could post this question to a DVD discussion
> group? Are they dumber than Bush?

there is a popular DVD out there on the matter.

--
misinformation rules.

Stan Brown 02-23-2005 03:38 AM

"JA" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
>weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
>admitted there are none?

How is it that morons keep posting politics to alt.video.dvd?

(followups redirected)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

JA 02-23-2005 03:55 AM

Re: MEDIA censorship and propaganda in the US ...PROOF ...THAT "Brenda White" IS A NUTCASE==>

JA 02-23-2005 04:08 AM

Re: MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US -DVD's

"Bill Turner" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:34:19 +1300, "JA" <jasmineaa@yahoo.om> wrote:
>
>>How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
>>weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
>>admitted there are none?

> __________________________________________________ _________
>
> How is it possible someone could post this question to a DVD discussion
> group?

Because there are many DVD's on this subject:

Control Room
Uncovered - The Whole Truth About the Iraq War (2003)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...63957?v=glance
Outfoxed - Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nce&s=dvd&st=*
The Corporation (2004)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

and one of the best: Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and the Media
(1993)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

and coming soon! Noam Chomsky:Rebel Without a Pause
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

>Are they dumber than Bush?

No. Few are.

RichA 02-24-2005 06:35 AM

Re: MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:34:19 +1300, "JA" <jasmineaa@yahoo.om> wrote:

>How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
>weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
>admitted there are none?

That's absolutely right. They moved them all to Syria
prior to the U.S. invasion.
-Rich