Velocity Reviews

-   -   New copy-proof DVDs on the way? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271800-new-copy-proof-dvds-on-the-way.html)

Tarkus 02-15-2005 07:52 PM

New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
antipiracy effort.

The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
the software remain widely available online.

Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.

"Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
when you can do something about it?"

The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
proves practical.

Rest of article:
http://news.com.com/New+copy-proof+D...j=news.1026.20
--
"The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until

Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

theyak 02-15-2005 08:17 PM

Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

In article <1bt5yqs4jn476.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, karnevil9@beer.com
says...
> New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
> Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
> By John Borland
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
>
> Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
> Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
> antipiracy effort.
>
> The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
> copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
> ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
> the software remain widely available online.
>
> Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
> RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
> tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.
>
> "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
> Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
> bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
> Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
> when you can do something about it?"
>
> The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
> market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
> groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
> studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
> protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
> proves practical.
>
> Rest of article:
> http://news.com.com/New+copy-proof+D...j=news.1026.20

Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
more stupid than they seem already.

They will never learn.

Tarkus 02-15-2005 10:38 PM

On 2/15/2005 12:17:15 PM, theyak wrote:

> Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
> day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
> played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
> more stupid than they seem already.
>
> They will never learn.

If the studios continue to give them money, it is they who are the fools,
not Macrovision. Macrovision is in business to sell a product; whether
or not that product works is secondary.
--
"If words were cherry stems, my tongue would be in Sherilyn Fenn's
mouth."

Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

georgiarose 02-15-2005 11:06 PM

"Tarkus" <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message
> New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
> Published: February 14, 2005, 9:00 PM PST
> By John Borland
> Staff Writer, CNET News.com
>
> Macrovision is expected to release a new DVD copy-protection technology
> Tuesday in hopes of substantially broadening its role in Hollywood's
> antipiracy effort.
>
> The content-protection company is pointing to the failure of the
> copy-proofing on today's DVDs, which was broken in 1999. Courts have
> ordered that DVD-copying tools be taken off the market, but variations of
> the software remain widely available online.
>
> Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect, the new
> RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
> tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.
>
> "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
> Macrovision's senior director of marketing, "Now the cat's out of the
> bag. (DVD sales) are going to be one of the main sources of revenue for
> Hollywood for a long time, so why leave billions of dollars on the table
> when you can do something about it?"
>
> The company could be hard pressed to break into the DVD protection
> market, which has historically been managed by companies or industry
> groups closely associated with the Hollywood studios themselves. However,
> studios have been deeply concerned by the failure of today's DVD copy
> protection and may be willing to experiment with an alternative if it
> proves practical.
>
> Rest of article:
> http://news.com.com/New+copy-proof+D...j=news.1026.20
> --
> "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
> doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until
> he bites you, and those black eyes roll over white."
>
> Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"

A mate brought back a copy of Delovely from Thailand not so long ago and it
is the first title I have been unable to copy. Not sure if it is a legit
title or a pirate (probably the latter), but it has beaten me. It plays
without issue in any ordinary standalone player but is seemingly not
detected by any DVD drive. My Pioneer 106 or 108 refuse to acknowledge the
discs existence, nor does my mates Lite-on or LG drives. The disc cannot be
"explored" - it is as if there is no disc in the drive. Therefore none of
the "rippers" work. Anyone had a similar experience?

Gregory Kleverlaan 02-16-2005 12:59 AM

Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro free
ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present. I
don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.

news:42128070$0$4608$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...

Bruce Markowitz 02-16-2005 01:29 AM

Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

Wasn't there a thing with audio CD's where they did something to the first
track so a computer CD drive could not read them?

Larry 02-16-2005 01:36 AM

Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

In article <37fk6qF5bn33pU1@individual.net>, g12345567@nospam.yahoo.com.au
says...
> Subject: Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
> From: "Gregory Kleverlaan" <g12345567@nospam.yahoo.com.au>
> Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd, alt.video.dvdr
>
> Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
> player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro free
> ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present. I
> don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.

I have made this problem go away on several systems by turning off the "auto
insert notification".

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Mike Kohary 02-16-2005 01:54 AM

Tarkus wrote:

> Macrovision executives said that even if it's not perfect,

No copy protection is, or ever will be.

> the new
> RipGuard DVD technology can prevent much of the copying done with such
> tools and can help bolster studios' DVD sales.

At least until it's cracked, which will take about a week.

> "Encryption standards either work or they don't," said Adam Gervin,
> Macrovision's senior director of marketing,

"Senior director of marketing" = professional liar. What's his definition
of "works"? If he means unbreakable, then no encryption scheme works.

theyak 02-16-2005 02:48 AM

Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?

In article <1urpt4w3036oe.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, karnevil9@beer.com
says...
> On 2/15/2005 12:17:15 PM, theyak wrote:
>
> > Macrovision are fools. Their new copy protection will be defeated the
> > day the first dvd is out. If they tried to do something that couldn't be
> > played on the millions of dvd players already out there they are even
> > more stupid than they seem already.
> >
> > They will never learn.

> If the studios continue to give them money, it is they who are the fools,
> not Macrovision. Macrovision is in business to sell a product; whether
> or not that product works is secondary.

True enough, I suppose.

georgiarose 02-16-2005 06:53 AM

"Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c7c6dbc2ba56dee9896a4@news.individual.NE T...
> In article <37fk6qF5bn33pU1@individual.net>, g12345567@nospam.yahoo.com.au
> says...
>> Subject: Re: New copy-proof DVDs on the way?
>> From: "Gregory Kleverlaan" <g12345567@nospam.yahoo.com.au>
>> Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd, alt.video.dvdr
>>
>> Had a few dvd's like that as well.. They play fine in any stand alone dvd
>> player. But put them in your computers dvd rom drive (even region/macro
>> free
>> ones) and the computer fails to recognise the existance of a dvd present.
>> don't know what causes this. Maybe others can shed some light on this.
>>

> I have made this problem go away on several systems by turning off the
> "auto
> insert notification".
>

> --
> Larry Lynch