Velocity Reviews

-   -   Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271775-consortium-seeks-ultimate-dvd-hundreds-of-movies-per-disc.html)

Allan 02-14-2005 12:38 PM

Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc
A consortium of technology firms are developing holographic versatile
disc (HVD) technology, a new disc format that could allow up to a
terabyte of data to be stored on a single disc - about as much as 200
standard DVDs. HVD is based on a holographic technology developed by
Optware, a Japanese firm that is one of the members of the consortium.

Overview:

* A few hundred movies on an optical disc?
* That's the goal of the Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD)
Alliance.
* Six companies, including Fuji Photo and CMC Magnentics, have
formed a consortium to promote HVD technology, which will let
consumers conceivably put a terabyte (1TB) of data onto a single
optical disc.
* A TB-size disc would certainly compress movie collections.
* The consortium said an HVD disc could hold as much data as 200
standard DVDs and transfer data at over 1 gigabit per second, or 40
times faster than a DVD.
* HVD is a possible successor to technologies such as Blu-ray and
HD DVD.
* Single layer Blu-ray discs hold about 25GB of data while
dual-layer discs hold 50GB.
* Ordinary DVD discs, meanwhile, hold about 4.7GB.
* HVD technology will be pitched at corporations and the
entertainment market, the HVD Alliance said.
* The technology behind HVD is based on holography technology from
Japan's Optware, one of the six founders of the consortium.
* Sony unveiled a home server with 1TB of storage for the Japanese
market last year.
* Half of the capacity would be enough to record six channels of
TV for five and a half days non-stop, Sony said.
* The organization, however, is looking at first developing discs
with lower capacities.
* The first assignments of the technical committee involve coming
up with standards for a 200GB recordable disc and a 100GB read-only
disc.
* If history is an indication, consumers will fill the disc up.
* High-definition broadcasting and gaming are also expected to add
a heavy burden to existing home storage systems because of the size of
the files.
* Two hours of HD programming takes up about 15GB to 25GB.

Source:
http://news.com.com/Group+aims+to+dr...3-5562599.html

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Dragon 02-14-2005 03:01 PM

Re: Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

Ok real good idea but can you imagine the size of the box to put all titles
on it, it would be bigger than a dvd player alone especially if you had
pictures too and in the box one single dvd disc LOL

RichA 02-14-2005 03:52 PM

Re: Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:38:47 -0500, Allan
<Spamsucks@buffyisbrianlamb.net> wrote:

>Sunday, February 13, 2005
>
>Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc
>A consortium of technology firms are developing holographic versatile
>disc (HVD) technology, a new disc format that could allow up to a
>terabyte of data to be stored on a single disc - about as much as 200
>standard DVDs. HVD is based on a holographic technology developed by
>Optware, a Japanese firm that is one of the members of the consortium.
>
>Overview:
>
> * A few hundred movies on an optical disc?

Sure. People will walk into video store and say, "I'll take disk 3."
I don't like half the movies on it, but it's only $2500.

Nick 02-14-2005 08:12 PM

Re: Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

Right that's it I'm not buying any more DVD's. ;-)

Patrick Michael 02-15-2005 04:06 AM

Re: Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

"Allan" <Spamsucks@buffyisbrianlamb.net> wrote in message
> Sunday, February 13, 2005
>
> Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc

I don't know if that'd be such a great idea. If *one* disc gets lost or
damaged, you'd lose your entire collection. Of course, by the time this
format becomes mainstream, they'll probably have 60TB hard drives and HVD-R
for easy backup.

Then again, it'd be cool to have an entire TV series on *one* disc.

dvdguy2@webtv.net 02-15-2005 06:46 PM

Re: Consortium seeks ultimate DVD: hundreds of movies per disc.

I don't know about hundreds of movies on one disc, but I have already
seen a regular dvd which claims that there's (I think 22 full uncut
movies) all on one disc.

yes, that's twenty-two, not a misprint of two.

Jay G. 02-15-2005 11:33 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:46:33 -0500, dvdguy2@webtv.net wrote:

> I don't know about hundreds of movies on one disc, but I have already
> seen a regular dvd which claims that there's (I think 22 full uncut
> movies) all on one disc.
>
> yes, that's twenty-two, not a misprint of two.

Can you provide any other information, like a link or a name or a list of
titles, or is this one of your delusions again?

-Jay (like I have to ask.)