Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   Given extra time against my will (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t27155-given-extra-time-against-my-will.html)

James Waite 09-18-2003 02:30 PM

Given extra time against my will

Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.

I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?

James

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= 09-18-2003 02:44 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

"James Waite" <jwaite@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Just though someone might find this interesting. I registered to take
> 70-215 next week. Reading my confirmation email from VUETesting, I
> see they've included an accommodation. A 30 minute time extension for
> non-native speakers living in non-English-speaking countries.
>
> I rang VUE and explained that I am a native english speaker (American
> English anyway). The CSA informed me there was nothing to be done as
> the accommodation was based on where I live (Germany), not on which
> languages I speak. Is it just me or is this whacked?

So bring a GameBoy Advanced...

--
Fris "Or a not-so-advanced GameGirl®" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

billyw 09-18-2003 03:28 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

whats whacked about it?
just cause you claim to speak english (i have my doubts) doesn't mean that
the rest of germany can speak english to your level (notice i didn't specify
the level) so now you know you can leave 30 minutes early..

James Waite 09-18-2003 03:43 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

Regardless of your confidence in my English ability (I was born in the
US and lived there until I moved to Germany 2 years ago) it would
seem a better policy to me to only give the extra time to people who,

1. Ask for it.
2. Provide documentation they need it.

James Waite 09-18-2003 04:36 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

That's the thing

1. The test is offerd in German as well as most other european
langueges, you CAN request whatever language you want when you sign up

2. The extra time is not being given based on where I take the test
but where I live. The test I took last week, in Germany but with a
California home address, allowed the normal amount of time.

Kendal Emery 09-18-2003 06:19 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

Just a question....

Why do really care? It is not like they are forcing you to take an extra 30
minutes. You can still quit an leave when you are finished. So why are you
so upset that they are giving you an extra 30 minutes? It seems like the
rest of us should be upset that we are not given the extra 30 minutes. (Not
that I really care, I usually finish with at least 30 minutes to spare)

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
kemery@coordinatedhomecare.me.com
remove me to email to me

Consultant 09-18-2003 06:30 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

you are just whacked

Petter Børkeeiet 09-18-2003 06:34 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

I can't (and won't) ask for Norwegian exams.

But why cry about 30 mins extra time? You can go home when you are ready for
a beer. I'm not that good in English but I have never used the extra time,
the latest 70-229 was done in 55 mins.

Petter
Oslo, Norway

billyw 09-18-2003 07:28 PM

Re: Given extra time against my will

i think thats a fair comment..
maybe he was just feeling the need to feel important today..
shame really, cause he comes across as a ****

Dev Lunsford 09-19-2003 11:10 AM

Re: Given extra time against my will

The reason he's saying all this isn't because he cares so much about having
too much time himself - it's about the system, and why should people get
extra time just because of where they live, when they don't need it? he's
right, they should wait until someone asks for extra time before giving it
to them.

-dev...