Velocity Reviews

-   -   My Plextor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271108-my-plextor.html)

pickle 12-26-2004 06:37 PM

My Plextor

My wife got me a Plextor PX-712A for christmas.
The bundled software (plextor rev 9.02) won't install.
Says it can't read the data.cab file. It's a bundle of
Roxio easy CD creator, a Roxio player and some other stuff.
Now, I usually don't install entire software bundles anyway
because they are usually crap but having a burner software
is kinda needed. Roxio is not so good anyway.

I want to write data, DVD format that I create and copy my DVDs
for archive protection.

Is there a good free software pack for writing to my DVD burner?
I googled it and cane up with only a couple and I wondered what manes
you recommend.

If I can't get one free they I'll have to buy. What pay packages
do you like. I have an old version of NERO, I'm not sure what version
it is but I hear NERO might work.

pickle 12-26-2004 10:18 PM

Re: My Plextor

Smarty wrote:
> pickle,
>
> I use both Nero 6 Ultra Edition and Ulead Video Studio 8 as well and agree
> with Bill's comments. One distinction I wanted to add is that Nero's
> software supports using the burner for data backups and other purposes
> whereas Ulead's Video Studio 8 only does video DVDs. If you are buying only
> 1 program, then Ahead's Nero Ultra will give you a lot more flexibility, but
> its' video editing / authoring is definitely inferior to Ulead.
>
> Smarty
>
> "Bill" <wh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:IP_zd.14119$Z47.913@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
>
>>I've been fairly pleased with Ulead Video Studio 8, though its menu
>>creation is a bit limited. I love its video capture feature--video capture
>>for me has been very smooth/fluid with Video Studio 8.
>>
>>For an all in one package, which even includes an excellent hard drive
>>backup utility, Ulead 6.0 Ultra Edition offers a great deal for its $99
>>price tag--and if you have an earlier version, even if its OEM, you should
>>be able to purchase it online for $49.95. A fully functional trial version
>>can be downloaded at:
>>
>>http://www.nero.com/us/neroue-prog.php
>>
>>Most of the current trial version expires on 12/31, it was posted on 12/3.
>>However, Ahead software is constantly updating the program, and a newer
>>version will no doubt post before mid January, if past experiences are any
>>indication. That was a major downside to Nero 6--Ahead seemed to rush it
>>to market in mid 2003, loaded with bugs, apparently preferring to treat
>>its end users as beta testers.
>>
>>"pickle" <pickle@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>My wife got me a Plextor PX-712A for christmas.
>>>The bundled software (plextor rev 9.02) won't install.
>>>Says it can't read the data.cab file. It's a bundle of
>>>Roxio easy CD creator, a Roxio player and some other stuff.
>>>Now, I usually don't install entire software bundles anyway
>>>because they are usually crap but having a burner software
>>>is kinda needed. Roxio is not so good anyway.
>>>
>>>I want to write data, DVD format that I create and copy my DVDs
>>>for archive protection.
>>>
>>>Is there a good free software pack for writing to my DVD burner?
>>>I googled it and cane up with only a couple and I wondered what manes you
>>>recommend.
>>>
>>>If I can't get one free they I'll have to buy. What pay packages
>>>do you like. I have an old version of NERO, I'm not sure what version it
>>>is but I hear NERO might work.

I use Adobe Premiere for video editing. I just need the software
to burn the DVD.
I did find this which looks good.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Ever hear of it?

Bill 12-27-2004 09:06 PM

Re: My Plextor

Smarty 12-27-2004 09:46 PM

Re: My Plextor

Smarty 12-27-2004 10:45 PM

Re: My Plextor

pickle,

You may have overlooked something. I too use Adobe Premier for video, and it
does not produce an authored DVD for burning. For DVD authoring, the use of
an additional program will be required to create menus, make the appropriate
DVD file and directory structure, and then burn a disk.

The freeware program you referenced looks fine for data disks, which you
also expressed an interest in producing.

Smarty

Smarty 12-27-2004 10:49 PM

Re: My Plextor

pickle,

Your computer clock / calendar are set to yesterday. Thus all of your
messages show up way below all of the other messages / replies arriving
today...

Smarty

Donald Link 12-27-2004 11:52 PM

Re: My Plextor

Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

pickle 12-28-2004 12:45 AM

Re: My Plextor

Donald Link wrote:
> Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
> even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
> version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
> from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

My NERO is version 5.5. I don't think it handles DVD.

luminos 12-28-2004 03:28 AM

Re: My Plextor

> Donald Link wrote:
>> Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
>> even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
>> version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
>> from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:37:46 +0000, pickle <pickle@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

> My NERO is version 5.5. I don't think it handles DVD.

It most certainly does handle DVD.

Ken Maltby 12-28-2004 10:16 AM

Re: My Plextor

"Donald Link" <linkd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Definetly use Nero. I have give up on Roxio a long, long time ago and
> even have tried recent versions. Nero rocks. If it is not to old a
> version you may be able to upgrade cheaply or not at all. Stay away
> from the rewritable software such as Incd and such.

Nero is a great burning program put I wouldn't use it to Author
a DVD, and certainly not to encode for one. (There may come a
time when they have a true MPEG4 AVC(H.264) encoder
working as they have announced, and then I would give them
another look.)

If your "Adobe Premiere" produces DVD compliant MPEG files,
then you would still need to Author the new DVD. In the Adobe
world I believe that is "Encore". If Premiere only outputs AVI,
then you are going to need to Encode to DVD Compliant MPEG
using an MPEG Encoder. If you can afford to go the Adobe
route, there are many high quality encoders out there.

I find that using products such as TMPGEnc www.pegasys-inc.com
provides very effective Encoding solutions, as well as my favorite DVD
Authoring Program TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA). For a great deal
less cost.

Another much liked DVD authoring approach is with DVDLab.
Their new DVDLab Pro has been getting great reviews, even from
former Premiere users.

Luck;
Ken