Velocity Reviews

-   -   Godfather re-release? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271009-godfather-re-release.html)

AgentOrangeCleaner 12-16-2004 03:53 PM

Godfather re-release?

I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor transfer
issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that Paramount was
going to be re-releasing these films with a new transfer.

Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be out)? Thanks.

Joshua Zyber 12-16-2004 11:50 PM

Re: Godfather re-release?

"AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor
>transfer issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that
>Paramount was going to be re-releasing these films with a new transfer.
>
> Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be out)?
> Thanks.

Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie individually
using the same transfer from the box set. It's the exact same disc,
actually, just packaged on its own.

AgentOrangeCleaner 12-17-2004 04:35 AM

Re: Godfather re-release?

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:Cbpwd.1740$yK.677@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
> "AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>>I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor
>>transfer issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that
>>Paramount was going to be re-releasing these films with a new transfer.
>>
>> Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be out)? Thanks.

> Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie individually
> using the same transfer from the box set. It's the exact same disc,
> actually, just packaged on its own.

Gotcha. Is there still any hope for a new transfer in the future? Or
should I plonk down the $75?

ominousspiritous 12-17-2004 05:02 AM

Re: Godfather re-release?

"AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
news:gmtwd.29713$ld2.12765306@twister.nyc.rr.com.. .

> "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:Cbpwd.1740$yK.677@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
> > "AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> >>I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor
> >>transfer issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that
> >>Paramount was going to be re-releasing these films with a new transfer.
> >>
> >> Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be out)? Thanks.

> > Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie individually
> > using the same transfer from the box set. It's the exact same disc,
> > actually, just packaged on its own.

> Gotcha. Is there still any hope for a new transfer in the future? Or
> should I plonk down the $75?

It's $30-35 at Costco right now, as is the pink panther set.

Mike Kohary 12-17-2004 05:33 AM

Re: Godfather re-release?

AgentOrangeCleaner wrote:
> "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:Cbpwd.1740$yK.677@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
>> "AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>>> I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor
>>> transfer issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that
>>> Paramount was going to be re-releasing these films with a new
>>> transfer. Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be
>>> out)?
>>> Thanks.

>> Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie
>> individually using the same transfer from the box set. It's the
>> exact same disc, actually, just packaged on its own.

> Gotcha. Is there still any hope for a new transfer in the future? Or
> should I plonk down the $75?

The current transfers aren't "bad"; they're just not particularly good.
There was no re-mastering done on these movies, and most feel (rightly so)
that these movies deserved better treatment, so the disappointment factor
probably exaggerates the criticism. Having said that, the transfers are
perfectly acceptable and won't in any way impeded your enjoyment of these
great movies.

M.B. 12-17-2004 05:34 AM

Re: Godfather re-release?

Mike Kohary wrote:
> AgentOrangeCleaner wrote:
>
>>"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in
>>message news:Cbpwd.1740$yK.677@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
>>
>>>"AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>>>news:5ciwd.84934$Vk6.11427@twister.nyc.rr.com.. .

>>>Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie
>>>individually using the same transfer from the box set. It's the
>>>exact same disc, actually, just packaged on its own.

>>Gotcha. Is there still any hope for a new transfer in the future? Or
>>should I plonk down the $75?

> The current transfers aren't "bad"; they're just not particularly good.
> There was no re-mastering done on these movies, and most feel (rightly so)
> that these movies deserved better treatment, so the disappointment factor
> probably exaggerates the criticism. Having said that, the transfers are
> perfectly acceptable and won't in any way impeded your enjoyment of these
> great movies.

Yeah, but can anything help the lack of enjoyment for Godfather 3????

Nonymous 12-17-2004 12:52 PM

Re: Godfather re-release?

"AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
news:gmtwd.29713$ld2.12765306@twister.nyc.rr.com.. .

> "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:Cbpwd.1740$yK.677@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
>> "AgentOrangeCleaner" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>>>I was thinking of finally getting the box set, but I read some poor
>>>transfer issues. I also read some usenet posts from last March that
>>>Paramount was going to be re-releasing these films with a new transfer.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if this is true (and if so, when they will be out)? Thanks.

>> Paramount decided instead to just release the first movie individually
>> using the same transfer from the box set. It's the exact same disc,
>> actually, just packaged on its own.

> Gotcha. Is there still any hope for a new transfer in the future? Or
> should I plonk down the $75?

I wouldn't hold how. Buy them and enjoy the movies. You'll want to rebuy
them again in 5 years or so anways when they're released in blueray or
whatever.

Dick Sidbury 12-17-2004 02:13 PM

Re: Godfather re-release?

M.B. wrote:

> Yeah, but can anything help the lack of enjoyment for Godfather 3????

Well, IMHO obviously, GF3 isn't a bad movie taken by itself. It's only
bad when compared to its predecessors.

dick