Velocity Reviews

-   -   How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270873-how-burned-dvd-who-can-be-played-by-older-dvd-players.html)

Gaetan Mailloux 12-06-2004 11:14 PM

How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

Hi

I have a year 2000 toshiba 6 disc dvd player, it can't play my burned
cd-r, I presume it will be same with burned dvd, is there a brand/model
of dvd-r virgin disc that I can use for burn copy who can be played by
older dvd players like mine ?

Excuse my english, I'm french Speaking.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Berniez 12-07-2004 12:08 AM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

Make sure that unit is at the latest firmware. That is one possible
solution, but not guaranteed. There is also a class action lawsuit
involving those dvd players, because of playability problems. Just
Google Toshiba dvd player lawsuit.

LASERandDVDfan 12-07-2004 04:51 AM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

>I have a year 2000 toshiba 6 disc dvd player, it can't play my burned
>cd-r, I presume it will be same with burned dvd, is there a brand/model
>of dvd-r virgin disc that I can use for burn copy who can be played by
>older dvd players like mine ?

Just because it can't read CD-Rs doesn't necessarily mean that it won't read
DVD-R discs. There are quite a few older players that can't read CD-Rs that
will read DVD-R discs just fine.

Simply use a quality DVD-R and burn at a moderate to slow speed. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan 12-07-2004 04:53 AM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

>There is also a class action lawsuit
>involving those dvd players, because of playability problems. Just
>Google Toshiba dvd player lawsuit

In the case of carousel changers, Toshiba had quite a few DVD carousel players
OEMed by LG Electronics. Their biggest problem is that the ribbon cable
connecting the optical pickup to the drive electronics develops breaks on the
conductors, causing erratic operation to a "NO DISC" situation. Kind of like
some of the Aiwa CD shelf systems. - Reinhart

Omarichu 12-07-2004 08:02 AM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

>Hi
>
>I have a year 2000 toshiba 6 disc dvd player, it can't play my burned
>cd-r, I presume it will be same with burned dvd, is there a brand/model
>of dvd-r virgin disc that I can use for burn copy who can be played by

Uh oh, looks like you'll have to find a new player to watch your stolen
property.

Brian 12-07-2004 01:25 PM

Berniez <berniez@nospam.net> wrote:

>Make sure that unit is at the latest firmware. That is one possible
>solution, but not guaranteed. There is also a class action lawsuit
>involving those dvd players, because of playability problems. Just
>Google Toshiba dvd player lawsuit.
>
>Gaetan Mailloux wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a year 2000 toshiba 6 disc dvd player, it can't play my burned
>> cd-r, I presume it will be same with burned dvd, is there a brand/model
>> of dvd-r virgin disc that I can use for burn copy who can be played by
>> older dvd players like mine ?
>>
>> Excuse my english, I'm french Speaking.
>>
>> Thank
>>
>> Bye
>>
>> Gaetan
>> --

You may find that your DVD player will play CD-RW.
I find I could play CD-RW disks on my old DVD player.
Some of the older DVD players are not designed to play CD-R disks.
Check the manual that came with the DVD player.

Regards Brian

PhattyBoombatty 12-07-2004 04:38 PM

On 07 Dec 2004 08:02:07 GMT, omarichu@aol.com (Omarichu) wrote:

>>Hi
>>
>>I have a year 2000 toshiba 6 disc dvd player, it can't play my burned
>>cd-r, I presume it will be same with burned dvd, is there a brand/model
>>of dvd-r virgin disc that I can use for burn copy who can be played by

>Uh oh, looks like you'll have to find a new player to watch your stolen
>property.

Yeah, no chance the dude wants to watch his own home movies burned to
DVD. Way to jump to conclusions.

LASERandDVDfan 12-07-2004 05:02 PM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

>You may find that your DVD player will play CD-RW.
>I find I could play CD-RW disks on my old DVD player.
>Some of the older DVD players are not designed to play CD-R disks.
>Check the manual that came with the DVD player.

That's because a lot of older DVD players used a single laser that only
operated at the wavelength necessary for DVD, which made the beam a bright red.

CD-Rs have an organic dye, either composed of cyanine or pythlocyanine
depending on the disc strategy, that is usually a bluish or greenish color.
This isn't good for the older DVD players because such colors tend to filter
red light to the point where the laser cannot reflect off the aluminum
substrate efficiently enough for the pickup to lock onto the track. Of course,
with regular CD players and modern DVD players, there are two lasers in the
pickup with the CD laser operating at the infrared range which has no problems
working with CD-Rs.

Try taking a CD-R and shining a beam from a HeNe laser tube. The beam will
likely not reflect all too well because of how the dye color tends to filter
this frequency of light. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan 12-07-2004 05:22 PM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

>Of course,
>with regular CD players and modern DVD players, there are two lasers in the
>pickup with the CD laser operating at the infrared range which has no
>problems
>working with CD-Rs.

Well, I spotted my mistake.

Dual lasers are in modern DVD players, not in CD players. - Reinhart

Jerry G. 12-07-2004 10:14 PM

Re: How burned dvd who can be played by older DVD players.

In about the year 2000 to about 2003, there were a number of DVD and CD
player models that would only play silver pressed DVD's and silver pressed
CD-R disks. This was done on purpose by a number of manufactures as a
deterrent to prevent the copying and distribution of music that should not
be given away for free.

Today, this is all changed, because these companies soon realized that they
were not selling very many of these machines.

--

Jerry G.
======