Velocity Reviews

-   -   Star Wars Prequels DVDs (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270424-star-wars-prequels-dvds.html)

Opticreep 11-02-2004 02:26 PM

Star Wars Prequels DVDs

This isn't a question of whether or not the prequel DVDs (Phantom
Menace, Attack of the Clones) were good films. I happen to like 'em
(a lot), but I know other people have different opinions.

I'm more interested in knowing whether or not people think George
Lucas will re-release these movies on "new and improved special
edition" DVDs in the next few years? I've gotten burned sooo many
times from having bought DVDs of movies that were later rereleased as
'extra special edition director's cut". I don't want it to happen
again :(

I'm pretty sure George Lucas will release a boxed set of the Prequel
Trilogy as a companion to the Original Trilogy boxed set. Is the
style and format of the Original Trilogy DVDs consistent to the style
and format of the two prequel DVDs available right now? If so, maybe
Lucas will just repackage these existing DVDs into a boxed set.
Otherwise, he might re-release "super special edition" DVDs of those
two movies for the boxed set. In that case, I'd hate to have to buy
these movies twice.

So... should I go ahead and buy the AotC and TPM DVDs now? Or wait
for a hypothetical boxed set which may or may not come in 2006?

kaydigi 11-02-2004 03:21 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9e1f277e.0411020626.5363ead2@posting.google.c om...
> This isn't a question of whether or not the prequel DVDs (Phantom
> Menace, Attack of the Clones) were good films. I happen to like 'em
> (a lot), but I know other people have different opinions.
>
> I'm more interested in knowing whether or not people think George
> Lucas will re-release these movies on "new and improved special
> edition" DVDs in the next few years? I've gotten burned sooo many
> times from having bought DVDs of movies that were later rereleased as
> 'extra special edition director's cut". I don't want it to happen
> again :(
>
> I'm pretty sure George Lucas will release a boxed set of the Prequel
> Trilogy as a companion to the Original Trilogy boxed set. Is the
> style and format of the Original Trilogy DVDs consistent to the style
> and format of the two prequel DVDs available right now? If so, maybe
> Lucas will just repackage these existing DVDs into a boxed set.
> Otherwise, he might re-release "super special edition" DVDs of those
> two movies for the boxed set. In that case, I'd hate to have to buy
> these movies twice.
>
> So... should I go ahead and buy the AotC and TPM DVDs now? Or wait
> for a hypothetical boxed set which may or may not come in 2006?

Episode Region 1 is out of print, so instead of over paying for it, you
should just wait. BTW The acting in Episode One is pretty bad.

Video Flyer 11-02-2004 03:49 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

On 11/2/04 9:21 AM, in article VBNhd.5187$pY6.66@trnddc04, "kaydigi"
<kaydigiNOSPAMZ@verizon.net> wrote:

> BTW The acting in Episode One is pretty bad.

Episode II, as well.

Neal

Mike Kohary 11-02-2004 03:51 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

Opticreep wrote:
> This isn't a question of whether or not the prequel DVDs (Phantom
> Menace, Attack of the Clones) were good films. I happen to like 'em
> (a lot), but I know other people have different opinions.
>
> I'm more interested in knowing whether or not people think George
> Lucas will re-release these movies on "new and improved special
> edition" DVDs in the next few years? I've gotten burned sooo many
> times from having bought DVDs of movies that were later rereleased as
> 'extra special edition director's cut". I don't want it to happen
> again :(
>
> I'm pretty sure George Lucas will release a boxed set of the Prequel
> Trilogy as a companion to the Original Trilogy boxed set. Is the
> style and format of the Original Trilogy DVDs consistent to the style
> and format of the two prequel DVDs available right now? If so, maybe
> Lucas will just repackage these existing DVDs into a boxed set.
> Otherwise, he might re-release "super special edition" DVDs of those
> two movies for the boxed set. In that case, I'd hate to have to buy
> these movies twice.
>
> So... should I go ahead and buy the AotC and TPM DVDs now? Or wait
> for a hypothetical boxed set which may or may not come in 2006?

My guess is that we'll see a 6-movie box set in 2007, Star Wars' 30th
anniversary. I couldn't begin to guess if we'll see even more content on
the prequel discs, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either way, I'd recommend
buying the current discs - they're superb transfers with lots of great
extras. If he re-releases "deluxe editions" in 2007, all the better. I
just hope he comes around and finally releases the ORIGINAL original trilogy
on that set. ;)

Anybody 11-02-2004 07:54 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

In article <cm8abn$mip$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

> Opticreep wrote:
> > This isn't a question of whether or not the prequel DVDs (Phantom
> > Menace, Attack of the Clones) were good films. I happen to like 'em
> > (a lot), but I know other people have different opinions.
> >
> > I'm more interested in knowing whether or not people think George
> > Lucas will re-release these movies on "new and improved special
> > edition" DVDs in the next few years? I've gotten burned sooo many
> > times from having bought DVDs of movies that were later rereleased as
> > 'extra special edition director's cut". I don't want it to happen
> > again :(
> >
> > I'm pretty sure George Lucas will release a boxed set of the Prequel
> > Trilogy as a companion to the Original Trilogy boxed set. Is the
> > style and format of the Original Trilogy DVDs consistent to the style
> > and format of the two prequel DVDs available right now? If so, maybe
> > Lucas will just repackage these existing DVDs into a boxed set.
> > Otherwise, he might re-release "super special edition" DVDs of those
> > two movies for the boxed set. In that case, I'd hate to have to buy
> > these movies twice.
> >
> > So... should I go ahead and buy the AotC and TPM DVDs now? Or wait
> > for a hypothetical boxed set which may or may not come in 2006?

> My guess is that we'll see a 6-movie box set in 2007, Star Wars' 30th
> anniversary. I couldn't begin to guess if we'll see even more content on
> the prequel discs, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either way, I'd recommend
> buying the current discs - they're superb transfers with lots of great
> extras. If he re-releases "deluxe editions" in 2007, all the better.

Possible timeline for DVD releases:

- Episode III Christmas 2005
- Prequel Trilogy Box Set Christmas 2006
- Saga Box Set (6 movies) Christmas 2007
- Super-Saga Box Set Christmas 2017 ;-)

It's a forgone conclusion that any future releases will have further
tweaks to the movies, but it's anyone's guess as to how major these
will be.

> I just hope he comes around and finally releases the ORIGINAL original
> trilogy on that set. ;)

Not gonna happen in this universe (at least while George Lucas is alive
or his legacy ties it up in legal red tape). The original original
tilogy movies are officially long dead and buried.

Mike Kohary 11-02-2004 09:07 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

Anybody wrote:
> In article <cm8abn$mip$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
> wrote:
>
>> My guess is that we'll see a 6-movie box set in 2007, Star Wars' 30th
>> anniversary. I couldn't begin to guess if we'll see even more
>> content on the prequel discs, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either
>> way, I'd recommend buying the current discs - they're superb
>> transfers with lots of great extras. If he re-releases "deluxe
>> editions" in 2007, all the better.

> Possible timeline for DVD releases:
>
> - Episode III Christmas 2005
> - Prequel Trilogy Box Set Christmas 2006
> - Saga Box Set (6 movies) Christmas 2007
> - Super-Saga Box Set Christmas 2017 ;-)

Sounds about right! ;)

>> I just hope he comes around and finally releases the ORIGINAL
>> original trilogy on that set. ;)

> Not gonna happen in this universe (at least while George Lucas is
> alive or his legacy ties it up in legal red tape). The original
> original tilogy movies are officially long dead and buried.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case...think of the PR aspect.
"Finally, the original 1977 Star Wars available on H-DVD, first time in
hi-def, blah blah blah."

\Guest\ 11-02-2004 11:35 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

--
This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
"kaydigi" <kaydigiNOSPAMZ@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:9e1f277e.0411020626.5363ead2@posting.google.c om...
> > This isn't a question of whether or not the prequel DVDs (Phantom
> > Menace, Attack of the Clones) were good films. I happen to like 'em
> > (a lot), but I know other people have different opinions.
> >
> > I'm more interested in knowing whether or not people think George
> > Lucas will re-release these movies on "new and improved special
> > edition" DVDs in the next few years? I've gotten burned sooo many
> > times from having bought DVDs of movies that were later rereleased as
> > 'extra special edition director's cut". I don't want it to happen
> > again :(
> >
> > I'm pretty sure George Lucas will release a boxed set of the Prequel
> > Trilogy as a companion to the Original Trilogy boxed set. Is the
> > style and format of the Original Trilogy DVDs consistent to the style
> > and format of the two prequel DVDs available right now? If so, maybe
> > Lucas will just repackage these existing DVDs into a boxed set.
> > Otherwise, he might re-release "super special edition" DVDs of those
> > two movies for the boxed set. In that case, I'd hate to have to buy
> > these movies twice.
> >
> > So... should I go ahead and buy the AotC and TPM DVDs now? Or wait
> > for a hypothetical boxed set which may or may not come in 2006?

> Episode Region 1 is out of print, so instead of over paying for it, you
> should just wait. BTW The acting in Episode One is pretty bad.

TPM acting is not bad. AOTC acting sucked. If it had been better, the film
would have been classic.

I bought TPM DVD once I heard it was out of print and when I saw the
TPM/AOTC two pack in stores. I knew then I had better get one before I
would have to buy it in a set. I found one used. The price and the film is
what kept me from buying it in the first place.

Anybody 11-02-2004 11:37 PM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

In article <cm8stb$qnb$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

> Anybody wrote:
> > In article <cm8abn$mip$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My guess is that we'll see a 6-movie box set in 2007, Star Wars' 30th
> >> anniversary. I couldn't begin to guess if we'll see even more
> >> content on the prequel discs, but it wouldn't surprise me. Either
> >> way, I'd recommend buying the current discs - they're superb
> >> transfers with lots of great extras. If he re-releases "deluxe
> >> editions" in 2007, all the better.

> > Possible timeline for DVD releases:
> >
> > - Episode III Christmas 2005
> > - Prequel Trilogy Box Set Christmas 2006
> > - Saga Box Set (6 movies) Christmas 2007
> > - Super-Saga Box Set Christmas 2017 ;-)

> Sounds about right! ;)
>
> >> I just hope he comes around and finally releases the ORIGINAL
> >> original trilogy on that set. ;)

> > Not gonna happen in this universe (at least while George Lucas is
> > alive or his legacy ties it up in legal red tape). The original
> > original tilogy movies are officially long dead and buried.

> I don't know if that's necessarily the case...think of the PR aspect.
> "Finally, the original 1977 Star Wars available on H-DVD, first time in
> hi-def, blah blah blah."

Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
versions).

Karyudo 11-03-2004 02:21 AM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody
<anybody@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote:

>The tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen,
>so the old ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with
>the VHS versions).

Or those of us with laserdiscs, or those of us with excellent
LD-to-DVD archival transfers. There are some very, *very* good
original OT DVDs available. Not official, but who cares?

Jay G. 11-03-2004 03:00 AM

Re: Star Wars Prequels DVDs

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> In article <cm8stb$qnb$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
>> I don't know if that's necessarily the case...think of the PR aspect.
>> "Finally, the original 1977 Star Wars available on H-DVD, first time in
>> hi-def, blah blah blah."

> Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
> versions).

Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

-Jay