Velocity Reviews

-   -   THE RAPTURE is now shipping (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270396-the-rapture-is-now-shipping.html)

Stan Brown 10-31-2004 02:25 PM

THE RAPTURE is now shipping

The street date is this Tuesday 11/2; I got a note from
BestPrices.com that my pre-ordered copy shipped Friday.

This cult film deserves more attention than it got. It's one of
those movies that gets under your skin for days after you see it.
Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
role before /The X-Files/.

The plot, roughly: Mimi Rogers is a telephone operator by day, major
slut by night. She and her boyfriend prowl airport bars and the like
picking up other couples to have sex with.

She's disenchanted with her life, and one day some Jesus freaks give
her a Bible, and she becomes born again. I won't tell you more,
because it would all be spoilers, except to tell you that the title
refers to what some Christians believe, that just before the
Apocalypse the true believers will be caught up bodily into heaven,
leaving the sinners to stew on earth.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

Vlvetmorning98 10-31-2004 03:14 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

I think it's a great film, too. Is there going to be a Tolkin commentary on it?

The third film in his "L.A. yuppie" trilogy, THE NEW AGE, still hasn't been
announced for DVD, but it's available on VHS.

Stan Brown 10-31-2004 08:49 PM

"Vlvetmorning98" <vlvetmorning98@aol.com> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>I think it's a great film, too. Is there going to be a Tolkin commentary on it?

Yes, according to
> http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...ml?id=uFrNhHeh

"Additional Release Material:
"---Audio Commentary - 1. Michael Tolin [sic] (Director), Mimi
Rogers "(Star), David Duchovny (Star), Patrick Bauchau (Star)"

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Del March 10-31-2004 09:43 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

<< Yes, according to
> http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...ml?id=uFrNhHeh

"Additional Release Material:
"---Audio Commentary - 1. Michael Tolin [sic] (Director), Mimi
Rogers "(Star), David Duchovny (Star), Patrick Bauchau (Star)"
>><BR><BR>

Sounds like it's the same commentary that was on the laserdisc.

John339077353 11-01-2004 12:17 AM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

>From: Stan Brown the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm

>Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
>role before /The X-Files/.

No the hook is mimi rogers tits.

N2 11-01-2004 08:00 AM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

About damn time! Now, where's "Until the End of the World"????

news:MPG.1beebfecb3078a8f98cbfd@news.odyssey.net.. .

Chu-Chu 11-01-2004 06:35 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

In article <20041031191720.04552.00004132@mb-m27.news.cs.com>,
john339077353@cs.com (John339077353) wrote:

> >From: Stan Brown the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm

> >Maybe one way to hook you is to say that it was David Duchovny's big
> >role before /The X-Files/.

> No the hook is mimi rogers tits.

And David Duchovny's ass, but unfortunately, we have to get past that
long hairdo of his first.

karlpov 11-01-2004 11:04 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:25:42 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>This cult film deserves more attention than it got. It's one of
>those movies that gets under your skin for days after you see it.

Makes a great counterpoint to the engagingly awful Christian rapture
propaganda -- the two (so far) Left Behind movies and the Helen Hannah
quadrilogy (check for star Leigh Lewis in IMDB in you don't know what
this is). (One interesting difference is that while in both series the
believers proceed to Heaven nude, in Left Behind the clothes just sort
of collapse, whereas in the first Helen Hannah, Apocalypse, they are
miraculously neatly folded, probably laundered too.)

Vlvetmorning98 11-02-2004 07:58 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

>About damn time! Now, where's "Until the End of the World"????

isn't Anchor Bay doing an uncut DVD of that with a Wenders commentary to boot?

Vlvetmorning98 11-02-2004 07:58 PM

Re: THE RAPTURE is now shipping

>Yes, according to
>> http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...ml?id=uFrNhHeh