Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   Best storage for dvds? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270299-best-storage-for-dvds.html)

Brad Demrow 10-24-2004 02:59 PM

Best storage for dvds?
 
I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new home, I am
interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400). Your suggestions
for making or purchasing storage and information regarding DVD binders
appreciated. Thanks.

Brad





FAQmeister 10-24-2004 05:04 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
"Brad Demrow" <ce714@ticon.net> wrote in message
news:417bc349$0$3644$18feec2b@news.ticon.net
> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
> Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
> regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Brad


Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
either laminated particle board or are really expensive.

A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html



luminos 10-24-2004 08:07 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 

"FAQmeister" <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote in message
news:clgoh4$k1c$0@pita.alt.net...
> "Brad Demrow" <ce714@ticon.net> wrote in message
> news:417bc349$0$3644$18feec2b@news.ticon.net
>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
>> Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
>> regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Brad

>
> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
> either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>
> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
> produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
> you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
> --
> Buford T. Justice
> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>
>


I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves. They
are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or three
6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a contemporary
decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.








FAQmeister 10-24-2004 08:30 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
"luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
news:10no2ssn1jmc6df@news20.forteinc.com
> "FAQmeister" <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote in message
> news:clgoh4$k1c$0@pita.alt.net...
>> "Brad Demrow" <ce714@ticon.net> wrote in message
>> news:417bc349$0$3644$18feec2b@news.ticon.net
>>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
>>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection
>>> (>400). Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and
>>> information regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Brad

>>
>> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
>> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>>
>> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
>> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
>> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
>> board shelf. --
>> Buford T. Justice
>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>>
>>

>
> I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
> They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
> three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
> contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.


But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
shelves.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html



luminos 10-24-2004 09:09 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 

"FAQmeister" <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote in message
news:clh3c4$jsu$0@pita.alt.net...
> "luminos" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> news:10no2ssn1jmc6df@news20.forteinc.com
>> "FAQmeister" <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote in message
>> news:clgoh4$k1c$0@pita.alt.net...
>>> "Brad Demrow" <ce714@ticon.net> wrote in message
>>> news:417bc349$0$3644$18feec2b@news.ticon.net
>>>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
>>>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection
>>>> (>400). Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and
>>>> information regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>>>>
>>>> Brad
>>>
>>> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
>>> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>>>
>>> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
>>> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
>>> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
>>> board shelf. --
>>> Buford T. Justice
>>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
>>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>>>
>>>

>>
>> I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
>> They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
>> three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
>> contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

>
> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
> own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
> shelves.
> --
> Buford T. Justice
> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>
>



The shelves I have can be arranged at any height. However, since there are
six, I have left about 2.5 inches per shelf open at the top to fill the
entire space. If I had totally custom cabinets, I might get one additional
shelf in....or I could simply buy a shelf and add it to what I have.






RnR Lesnar 10-24-2004 09:16 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
Here's the one I bought from Bestbuy.com. Its not a bad deal and has a lot
of storage space.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product


--
RnR Lesnar
It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle
Bush/Cheney 2004

"Brad Demrow" <ce714@ticon.net> wrote in message
news:417bc349$0$3644$18feec2b@news.ticon.net...
>I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new home, I
>am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400). Your
>suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information regarding DVD
>binders appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Brad
>
>
>
>




Neill Massello 10-25-2004 01:52 AM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
FAQmeister <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote:

> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
> own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
> shelves.


If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.


DVDfanatico 10-25-2004 08:47 AM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
Some people have previously posted the suggestion of using DVD sleeves so you
can store hundred's in a very small space.For shelves that store nearly 2000
CD's (I'm not sure how many DVD's that is) check out
http://www.homedecorators.com/search...fication=2&typ
eDefId=1326&definition=1328&sortOption=ourFavorite s

Also check: http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/as249.html

-DVDfanatico

FAQmeister 10-25-2004 04:40 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
"Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1gm6eqe.1krhe516rmy6oN%neillmassello@earthlin k.net
> FAQmeister <FAQmeister@home.comxx> wrote:
>
>> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
>> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built
>> your own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
>> shelves.

>
> If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
> as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.


Those are excellent, but expensive.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html



FAQmeister 10-25-2004 04:40 PM

Re: Best storage for dvds?
 
"RnR Lesnar" <rnrcartmannospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:clh62l$i2j$1@news.datasync.com
> Here's the one I bought from Bestbuy.com. Its not a bad deal and has
> a lot of storage space.
>
>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product
>



Wow, that is a bargain. The last time someone posted a link to a similar
cabinet it was something like $299.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.