Velocity Reviews

-   -   Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270253-chappelles-show-s1-dvd-passes-the-simpsons-as-1-all-time-tv-dvd.html)

Allan 10-20-2004 10:26 PM

Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD;
Celebrates by Announcing Season 2!
Posted by David Lambert
10/19/2004

For Immediate Release:

CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD

Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

HOLLYWOOD, October 19, 2004 - Paramount Home Entertainment and Comedy
Central Home Entertainment proudly announce CHAPPELLE'S SHOW SEASON
ONE: UNCENSORED DVD box set has become the #1 all-time selling TV show
on DVD ever with over 2 million units sold, according to Videoscan and
retail sources. It puts the two-disc collection of Dave Chappelle's
top-rated Comedy Central series ahead of previous record-holder, The
Simpsons - The Complete First Season, which has sold 1.9 million
units.

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Ollie T 10-20-2004 11:26 PM

Re: Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

He's a funny guy. Too bad he was a prick to all of the fans at a small show
I saw him at.

Urra Dipschitt 10-21-2004 12:18 AM

Re: Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

In article <nfpdn0h0flhpv14q25mnontetqnv1g9pjs@4ax.com>,
Allan <Spamsucks@neverpostwithmyrealemailaddress.net> wrote:

> CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
> BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
> SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD
>
> Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
that you could name. And this proves what, again?

Pug Fugley 10-21-2004 02:31 AM

"Urra Dipschitt" <U.R.N.Idiot@stupidpeople.net> wrote in message
> In article <nfpdn0h0flhpv14q25mnontetqnv1g9pjs@4ax.com>,
> Allan <Spamsucks@neverpostwithmyrealemailaddress.net> wrote:
>
> > CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
> > BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
> > SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD
> >
> > Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

> And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
> that you could name. And this proves what, again?

That McDonalds has a more popular product?

Urra Dipschitt 10-21-2004 03:19 AM

Re: Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

In article <UbFdd.2737$KJ6.270@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
"Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote:

> > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
> > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

> That McDonalds has a more popular product?

Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

lugnut 10-21-2004 05:36 AM

Re: Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:19:41 GMT, Urra Dipschitt
<U.R.N.Idiot@stupidpeople.net> wrote:

>In article <UbFdd.2737$KJ6.270@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
> "Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote:
>
>> > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
>> > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

>> That McDonalds has a more popular product?

>Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

I don't think Chappelle outselling the Simpsons has much to do with
Chappelle being more popular, or appealing to the lowest common
denominator, as this McDonalds riffing seems to suggest, but more with
the fact that these Simpsons sets that are currently available have
all been (and still are) in syndication for a decade - a lot of
dedicated fans will buy the DVD sets, sure, but Joe Average has
already seen these episodes about a million times and can probably see
them again anytime he wants by just turning on the TV.

Chappelle, on the other hand, is obviously much newer and the episodes
haven't been "exposed" nearly as much. A lot of people buying the
Chappelle set are probably picking it up due to word-of-mouth, as well
as people who've only seen a couple episodes here and there and wanted
to check it out (ie., those without cable). I think there's no doubt
that the Simpsons is a much more popular show overall, but if these
Chappelle episodes had been in constant reruns for 10 years too, I
doubt it'd have done the numbers it has.

-lugnut

Eric R. 10-21-2004 12:54 PM

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<%uCdd.34636$Rf4.12795@fe2.texas.rr.com>...

> He's a funny guy. Too bad he was a prick to all of the fans at a small show
> I saw him at.

Yeah, and I wish he would at least try to stay straight when they're
filming the show. There was one monologue this season where he was so
high he had to sit down through the monologues. He's even worse than
Collin Quinn for this.

-Eric

Pug Fugley 10-21-2004 03:45 PM

> In article <UbFdd.2737$KJ6.270@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
> "Pug Fugley" <nosir@not.com> wrote:
>
> > > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
> > > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

> > That McDonalds has a more popular product?

> Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

Why is my treat barking at me? Is your girlfriend my treat? No thanks, chain
her back up in the yard. You can keep it.

Smaug69 10-22-2004 02:03 PM

lugnut@NOSPAMhotmail.com (lugnut) wrote in message news:<41774951.295031@news.netins.net>...
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:19:41 GMT, Urra Dipschitt
> <U.R.N.Idiot@stupidpeople.net> wrote:

> >> That McDonalds has a more popular product?

> >Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

> I don't think Chappelle outselling the Simpsons has much to do with
> Chappelle being more popular, or appealing to the lowest common
> denominator, as this McDonalds riffing seems to suggest, but more with
> the fact that these Simpsons sets that are currently available have
> all been (and still are) in syndication for a decade - a lot of
> dedicated fans will buy the DVD sets, sure, but Joe Average has
> already seen these episodes about a million times and can probably see
> them again anytime he wants by just turning on the TV.
>
> Chappelle, on the other hand, is obviously much newer and the episodes
> haven't been "exposed" nearly as much. A lot of people buying the
> Chappelle set are probably picking it up due to word-of-mouth, as well
> as people who've only seen a couple episodes here and there and wanted
> to check it out (ie., those without cable). I think there's no doubt
> that the Simpsons is a much more popular show overall, but if these
> Chappelle episodes had been in constant reruns for 10 years too, I
> doubt it'd have done the numbers it has.

Plus, the DVDs are uncensored. That's another big incentive to get them.

Smaug69