Velocity Reviews

-   -   why won't my DVD play? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270198-why-wont-my-dvd-play.html)

Johnny8977 10-17-2004 08:35 AM

why won't my DVD play?

Hi all.

I've just bought a DVD rewriter to try and backup some of the junk on my
HDD.

I'm also trying to backup some DVDs. I'm using DVD Ripper to copy the files
to my HDD, and then CloneDVD to format (Or whatever it does) the files and
then burn to DVD.

But, they won't play on my reg 2 DVD player, but they will play on my PC.
Any ideas why?

Sorry for the crosspost, didn't know which group this would be most
applicable for......

Thanks

the dog from that film you saw 10-17-2004 08:55 AM

Re: why won't my DVD play?

"Johnny8977" <usenet@johnny8977.plus.com***NOSPAM***> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I've just bought a DVD rewriter to try and backup some of the junk on my
> HDD.
>
> I'm also trying to backup some DVDs. I'm using DVD Ripper to copy the
> files
> to my HDD, and then CloneDVD to format (Or whatever it does) the files and
> then burn to DVD.
>
> But, they won't play on my reg 2 DVD player, but they will play on my PC.
> Any ideas why?

not all dvd players are up to the task of playing burnt discs - dvds or cds.
and those that can can't always play all formats. - eg some will play
dvd-r's but not dvd+rw

you probably have one of those but telling us the name of your player will
help.

--
Gareth.
Quote of the day.

Gardner 10-17-2004 09:37 AM

Re: why won't my DVD play?

Assuming there isn't a problem with your burning process, the most likely
explanation is that your DVD player won't play home recorded disks.

As far as DVD players go, the rules are

cheaper is better

don't buy big name brands, especially Sony (too hung up on copyright
protection)

if it doesn't say it will play the media type it won't
(ideally should claim to play dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, vcd, svcd, cd,
cd-r, cd-rw, DivX)

it should also be multi-region or multi-region hackable

I have been disappointed by Sony, by Panasonic, etc. and delighted by Ronin
players.

You appear to be using CloneDVD without be clear as to what it does. It rips
DVDs and defeats copyright protection, creating info, backup and vob files
in a VIDEO_TS folder. Make sure your burner knows where this folder is and
burns the files in the VIDEO_TS folder. (I assume the DVD you create plays
on the computer as a DVD)

Sofad 10-17-2004 11:18 AM

Re: why won't my DVD play?

> Assuming there isn't a problem with your burning process, the most
> likely explanation is that your DVD player won't play home recorded
> disks.
>
> As far as DVD players go, the rules are
>
> cheaper is better
>
> don't buy big name brands, especially Sony (too hung up on copyright
> protection)
>
> if it doesn't say it will play the media type it won't
> (ideally should claim to play dvd, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, vcd, svcd,
> cd, cd-r, cd-rw, DivX)
>
> it should also be multi-region or multi-region hackable
>
> I have been disappointed by Sony, by Panasonic, etc. and delighted by
> Ronin players.

I would second that - I had a Panasonic RV32 (90 or so about 3 years ago
just for the player) which wouldn't play my home-made discs. I recently
bought a "Tevion" (60 including a very nice 5.1 home theatre system) from
Aldi which plays them perfectly.

luminos 10-17-2004 08:24 PM

Re: why won't my DVD play?

I find it important to use the Video DVD option in Nero for burning after
draging the video_ts folder to the red video_ts folder. Your DVD players
may be reacting to what they think is a data disc rather than a structured
DVD disc. Most software players handle either one.