Velocity Reviews

-   -   WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270145-warning-avoid-hollywood-video-gift-cards.html)

Ron Bennett 10-13-2004 12:32 AM

WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!

Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.

In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!

Ron Bennett

Computer-Guru 10-13-2004 12:40 AM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

Figures, since they are currently in the process of settling a lawsuit for
very similar tactics!

http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/arc/default.aspx

James

Impmon 10-13-2004 01:33 AM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:17 -0400, Ron Bennett
<bennett@wyomissing.com> wrote:

>I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
>laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
>
>Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
>months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
>such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
>go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
>
>In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!

Then you should avoid Toys R Us gift card. Walmart gift card EB gift
card, etc. etc. There's been quite a few lawsuits in the past years.

For several years it had been a common practice to siphon some money
from unused gift card to cover accounting fees. They are often
spelled out but in microscopic fine prints that most people can never
read at all.

I don't like it myself and when I get a gift card, I use it as soon as
possible. Some cards can go to gas, some to groceries, and the few
that offers no gas or groceries, to video game or computer stuff.
What I can't use, I sell on eBay ;)

LASERandDVDfan 10-13-2004 01:36 AM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

>I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
>laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
>
>Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
>months on gift cards.

So?

Read the fine print of any prepaid service, like gift cards, and the same
provisions are there. This isn't a surprise, at least not to me.

Some provisions have your credit in the card totally revoked if you fail to use
it within months!

To put it simply with these cards: you snooze, you lose.

However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than two
years! - Reinhart

Justin 10-13-2004 02:28 AM

Ron Bennett wrote on [Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:32:17 -0400]:
> I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
> laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
>
> Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
> months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
> such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
> go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.

Wal Mart has the same thing.

Justin 10-13-2004 02:29 AM

LASERandDVDfan wrote on [13 Oct 2004 01:36:56 GMT]:

> However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than two
> years! - Reinhart

It's easy to forget all about these things.

Biz 10-13-2004 02:36 AM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

"Ron Bennett" <bennett@wyomissing.com> wrote in message
> I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
> laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
>
> Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
> months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
> such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
> go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
>
> In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!
>
> Ron Bennett

As it turns out if you pull your head out of the sand, you would have read
it on the card. Use the cards in a reasonable amount of time and there is
never an issue. Who sits on a gift card for over 2 years? Oh, my bad, have
you been in a coma for the last 2.5 years? If so, my sincerest apologies.

Bill 10-13-2004 03:04 AM

Ron Bennett wrote:

> I just checked the balance of an older $25 Hollywood Gift Card I found
> laying around the house ... the card balance dropped from $25 to $17!
>
> Turns out that Hollywood Video levies a $1 per month fee after 24
> months on gift cards. Such service charges are ILLEGAL in many states,
> such as California, and regardless upsets customers and encourages them
> go elsewhere; and to tell their friends and relatives to avoid them.
>
> In short, avoid Hollywood gift cards!
>
> Ron Bennett

I don't like fees on gift cards either (nor the gift cards
themselves), but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of gift
cards have inactivity fees (and some probably after 12 months,
not 24). And sadly, they are not illegal in MANY states, just a
small number.

Bill

LASERandDVDfan 10-13-2004 04:51 AM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

>> However, I can't fathom how anyone would not use a gift card for more than
>two
>> years! - Reinhart

>It's easy to forget all about these things.

Then again, it's hard to pass up the opportunity to blow a $25 gift card on an
awesome DVD boxset at the Hollywood Video ... unless that boxset is $26 or
more. Although, you can still pay for the difference which, hopefully, won't
be too much. - Reinhart

Yazandtony 10-13-2004 03:47 PM

Re: WARNING: Avoid Hollywood Video Gift Cards!

Damn, 2 years to use a gift card? Jeeze.