Velocity Reviews

-   -   DTS Blu-Ray extensions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270133-dts-blu-ray-extensions.html)

Monte Castleman 10-11-2004 06:11 PM

DTS Blu-Ray extensions

I noticed that DTS is becoming a mandatory part of Blu-Ray and HD, which
brought up a few questions:

1. I was thinking about buying a high quality standalone DTS decoder to
go with my standalone Dolby Digital decoder. Do present day DTS decoders
support the proposed losslessly compressed extension?

2. Will the Blu-ray players provide two digital outputs like some
present DVD players- one for my present Dolby Digital Decoder and one
for a future DTS decoder. I know digital format converters provide two
ouputs from one, but that's yet another box.
--
Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>

Biz 10-11-2004 06:56 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

"Monte Castleman" <qmdcastleman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:r1Aad.348$SZ5.203@newsread2.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
> I noticed that DTS is becoming a mandatory part of Blu-Ray and HD, which
> brought up a few questions:
>
> 1. I was thinking about buying a high quality standalone DTS decoder to
> go with my standalone Dolby Digital decoder.

What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

Can you list some that are available?

Do present day DTS decoders
> support the proposed losslessly compressed extension?

It is doubtful that any currently available equipment is already capable of
decoding a compression algorithm that is not even approved yet...

Monte Castleman 10-11-2004 08:39 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

>What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

I have a Denon AVD-2000.

>Can you list some that are available?

Don't know what's available now, but Technics made some also. I found out
that Denon made the AVD-1000, a DTS only decoder designed as a companion for
the 2000. I was thinking about looking for one on the used market, even
though only a handful of the discs I have now have DTS.

I think the reasons for the lack of stand alone options today are that
decoders started to become common on DVD players, that laserdisc went away
(DD or DTS decoders were never built into mainstream laserdisc players), and
many audiophiles look down on home theater. The market for people that want
something better than the cheap decoders in DVD players is not great.

Biz 10-11-2004 09:28 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

"Monte Castleman" <qmdcastleman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:MbCad.428$NX5.260@newsread3.news.atl.earthlin k.net...
> >What make/model standalone DD decoder do you have?

> I have a Denon AVD-2000.
> >
> >Can you list some that are available?

> Don't know what's available now, but Technics made some also. I found out
> that Denon made the AVD-1000, a DTS only decoder designed as a companion

for
> the 2000. I was thinking about looking for one on the used market, even
> though only a handful of the discs I have now have DTS.

Thats why I asked you to list some standalone decoders. I dont think anyone
makes just a DD decoder or just a DTS decoder anymore. In fact, there arent
even that many standalone decoders available new anymore. In fact I know of
none in the mainstream a/v market. There may be some ultra-expensive
esoteric stuff still but truthfully its out of my range and radar. Now
given their age, I really doubt any of the older models can compete with the
processing chips on the modern even moderately-priced a/v recievers.

> I think the reasons for the lack of stand alone options today are that
> decoders started to become common on DVD players, that laserdisc went away
> (DD or DTS decoders were never built into mainstream laserdisc players),

and
> many audiophiles look down on home theater. The market for people that

want
> something better than the cheap decoders in DVD players is not great.

Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha, H/K,
Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
featured than your old Denon standalone processor.

I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.

I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my a/v
recievers. I never looked back...

I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as well...

poldy 10-13-2004 05:25 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

In article <r1Aad.348$SZ5.203@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.ne t>,
Monte Castleman <qmdcastleman@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I noticed that DTS is becoming a mandatory part of Blu-Ray and HD, which
> brought up a few questions:
>
> 1. I was thinking about buying a high quality standalone DTS decoder to
> go with my standalone Dolby Digital decoder. Do present day DTS decoders
> support the proposed losslessly compressed extension?
>
> 2. Will the Blu-ray players provide two digital outputs like some
> present DVD players- one for my present Dolby Digital Decoder and one
> for a future DTS decoder. I know digital format converters provide two
> ouputs from one, but that's yet another box.

Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
back discs you buy.

The return of Divx...

Mike Kohary 10-13-2004 06:18 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

poldy wrote:

> Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
> require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
> back discs you buy.

Source?

Monte Castleman 10-13-2004 06:32 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

>Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha, H/K,
>Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
>featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
>
>I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
>AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
>
>I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my a/v
>recievers. I never looked back...
>
>I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as well...

Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't afford
high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use tube
amps.

Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing DTS...

Biz 10-13-2004 07:01 PM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

"Monte Castleman" <qmdcastleman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:7xebd.3293$NX5.1521@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> >Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha,

H/K,
> >Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
> >featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
> >
> >I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
> >AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
> >
> >I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my

a/v
> >recievers. I never looked back...
> >
> >I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as

well...

> Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't

afford
> high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use

tube
> amps.
>
> Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing

DTS...

Or wise up and buy an affordable a/v reciever to use as a pre/pro, which
many tube lovers are doing these days...

Biz 10-14-2004 02:17 AM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

"Monte Castleman" <qmdcastleman@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:7xebd.3293$NX5.1521@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> >Like I said above all the decent a/v recievers from say Denon, Yamaha,

H/K,
> >Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc..are probably far better and more heavily
> >featured than your old Denon standalone processor.
> >
> >I have had several standalone processors in the past, a Technics AC-300,
> >AC-500, Yamaha DDP-1, DDP-2.
> >
> >I have none of that stuff anymore and use the processing built-in to my

a/v
> >recievers. I never looked back...
> >
> >I can probably safely say you would come to the same conlcusions as

well...

> Except I have no use for the amplifier sections in receivers. I can't

afford
> high end MOSFET amplifiers, and hate the sound of transistors, so I use

tube
> amps.
>
> Guess I'll be staying with my present decoding equipment and forgoing

DTS...

I should have know there was going to be some strange idiosyncracy with why
you have clung to some old outdated standalone processor and not purchased
something that could do DD/DTS and the expanded DD/DTS formats.

poldy 10-17-2004 01:54 AM

Re: DTS Blu-Ray extensions

In article <ckjrft$deu$0@pita.alt.net>, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
wrote:

> poldy wrote:
> >
> > Actually there's talk that both formats, Blu-ray and HD-DVD, will
> > require Internet connections so that you can get authorization to play
> > back discs you buy.

> Source?

There are several discussions at avsforum.com. Do a search there for
AACS.

It's not clear if it's to authorize movies or extra content on movie
discs. If the former, then the players could need connections for
Internet authorization (although you would think they'd offer a phone-in
option too). If the latter, maybe it's for people who want to use it on
a computer to access special web sites and other interactive features.

Hollywood would do pay-to-play if they thought they could get away with
it.