Velocity Reviews

-   -   How about,(less than one season,) TV series? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t270048-how-about-less-than-one-season-tv-series.html)

Tom McCafferty 10-05-2004 06:06 AM

How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

I think, Timecop was one of them.

jayembee 10-05-2004 07:56 PM

Re: How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

Tom McCafferty <burnaby2celista@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think, Timecop was one of them.

No, TIMECOP ran one season.

The only way you could have a show that ran less than one season is if
it didn't run at all.

-- jayembee

Mark Spatny 10-06-2004 05:37 AM

Re: How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

jayembee,jayembeenospam@snurcher.com says...
> The only way you could have a show that ran less than one season is if
> it didn't run at all.

No, plenty of shows run less than one season. Many of the shows in the
"one season" thread ran less than one full season. One season being a
full 22 episode run. Trust me, if you work on a show that gets cancelled
after 6 or 13 episodes, you don't think of the show as running a full
season.

jayembee 10-06-2004 06:51 AM

Mark Spatny <vfxproducer@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> jayembee,jayembeenospam@snurcher.com says...
>> The only way you could have a show that ran less than one season is if
>> it didn't run at all.

> No, plenty of shows run less than one season. Many of the shows in the
> "one season" thread ran less than one full season. One season being a
> full 22 episode run. Trust me, if you work on a show that gets cancelled
> after 6 or 13 episodes, you don't think of the show as running a full
> season.

The original question was about series that ran less than one season,
not series that ran less than one full 22-episode season.

Seasons aren't defined as consisting of 22 episodes, and no less. If
that were the case, none of the HBO series would have seasons that
were full seasons.

STARGATE SG-1 will have only 20 episodes this season. Does that mean
it won't have run 8 seasons, just 7 and a fraction? If 20 episodes is
OK, how about 17 (STRANGE LUCK). Where do you draw the line?

A series that gets cancelled after eight or nine episodes still has as
many episodes as THE WONDER YEARS, MOONLIGHTING, CHINA BEACH and
MAX HEADROOM had in their first seasons.

-- jayembee

Joshua Zyber 10-06-2004 12:02 PM

"jayembee" <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote in message
> Seasons aren't defined as consisting of 22 episodes, and no less. If
> that were the case, none of the HBO series would have seasons that
> were full seasons.
>
> STARGATE SG-1 will have only 20 episodes this season. Does that mean
> it won't have run 8 seasons, just 7 and a fraction? If 20 episodes is
> OK, how about 17 (STRANGE LUCK). Where do you draw the line?

How about we draw the line at series that are cancelled before all of
the episodes that have been produced are aired? Make sense?

Mac Breck 10-06-2004 05:55 PM

> Tom McCafferty <burnaby2celista@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think, Timecop was one of them.

> No, TIMECOP ran one season.
>
> The only way you could have a show that ran less than one

season is if
> it didn't run at all.

Right, one season means up to and including one complete
season. I guess less than one season could mean an aired
Pilot only.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

Mac Breck 10-06-2004 06:06 PM

Re: How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com>
wrote in message
news:29R8d.8553$gs1.7455@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> "jayembee" <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote in message
> > Seasons aren't defined as consisting of 22 episodes, and

no less. If
> > that were the case, none of the HBO series would have

seasons that
> > were full seasons.
> >
> > STARGATE SG-1 will have only 20 episodes this season.

Does that mean
> > it won't have run 8 seasons, just 7 and a fraction? If

20 episodes is
> > OK, how about 17 (STRANGE LUCK). Where do you draw the

line?

> How about we draw the line at series that are cancelled

before all of
> the episodes that have been produced are aired? Make

sense?

No because where does that leave shows that shot 13, and
aired 13, and would have gotten say a 22 episode season if
the network hadn't cancelled them? No, "What is your
favourite one season TV show?" means something beyond the
pilot (if it had one), and less than or equal to one planned
full season, regardless as to whether all the episodes aired
or not.

jayembee 10-06-2004 10:24 PM

"Mac Breck" <macthevorlon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote:

>> "jayembee" <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote:

>>> STARGATE SG-1 will have only 20 episodes this season.
>>> Does that mean it won't have run 8 seasons, just 7
>>> and a fraction? If 20 episodes is OK, how about 17
>>> (STRANGE LUCK). Where do you draw the line?

>> How about we draw the line at series that are cancelled
>> before all of the episodes that have been produced are
>> aired? Make sense?

Why don't we just call them "prematurely cancelled"?

> No because where does that leave shows that shot 13, and
> aired 13, and would have gotten say a 22 episode season
> if the network hadn't cancelled them?

Then we get into the problem of defining "cancelled". The
way I see it, if a network makes an initial order of 13
episodes, and decides not to order the back nine, that's
just deciding not to renew it, just as if it was the end
of the season, and they decide not to renew for a second
season.

One might argue that the producers don't get to wrap things
up sufficiently, but sometimes they do (BIRDS OF PREY),
while there are times when they don't finish the story even
with a full 22-ep season (JOHN DOE or DARK SKIES).

-- jayembee

Jordan Lund 10-07-2004 12:18 AM

jayembee <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote in message news:<53v5m0pkoo8bbnga9ibqa9nkf6d9eisfn6@4ax.com>. ..
> Tom McCafferty <burnaby2celista@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think, Timecop was one of them.

> No, TIMECOP ran one season.
>
> The only way you could have a show that ran less than one season is if
> it didn't run at all.

If it didn't air all the episodes produced or contracted then it could
be said it ran less than one season.

Clerks: the Animated series aired, what? TWICE?

- Jordan

Dale Hicks 10-07-2004 02:41 AM

Re: How about,(less than one season,) TV series?

In article <2siqhpF1ktdh2U1@uni-berlin.de>, macthevorlon@yahoo.com
says...

> No because where does that leave shows that shot 13, and
> aired 13, and would have gotten say a 22 episode season if
> the network hadn't cancelled them? No, "What is your
> favourite one season TV show?" means something beyond the
> pilot (if it had one), and less than or equal to one planned
> full season, regardless as to whether all the episodes aired
> or not.

Say, no one's mentioned "Girls Club" yet.

I think that series that were planned to be series, yet only managed to
get a pilot aired, should still be theoretically eligible.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net