Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Freezes PC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269977-dvd-freezes-pc.html)

Canopus 09-29-2004 10:21 PM

DVD Freezes PC

Here's the set up:
Running Windows 98se, all service patches,
Processor: AMD Athlon(XP) 1700+
H Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR_107D
I Drive: DVD ROM 16x

Software (Media):
Real Player (CD and DVD Auto Play disabled)
WMP 5 (disassociated, not used)
Nero 6 (Media Player and Show Time DVD player associated)
Media Player Classic

Problem:
I insert DVD into I Drive and PC freezes. First I see the cursor change
indicating a program is starting, then the cursor freezes. After a minute
or two the cursor unfreezes, but, a few seconds later it freezes again.
Green light is on indicating DVD is spinning, red lights on hard drive shows
that they are working hard. Only way out is to eject DVD and everything
returns to normal.

Inserting DVD into H Drive fires up Nero Show Time and I'm able to view
video. Impossible to copy legit video from I to H.

Inserting Music CD into I drive launches Nero Media Center and am able to
hear CDs. Same if I use H Drive to listen to CDs. CDs copy successfully
from I to H

Device manager indicates everything OK and no conflicts. Both DVD drives
relatively new.

Any suggestions to this perplexing problem that has been bugging me for a
few months? It's a pain having to use the same drive to record a DVD to PC
then burn to another DVD to copy it.

Rob

Rebelrouser 09-30-2004 11:20 PM

Re: DVD Freezes PC

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Here's the set up:
> Running Windows 98se, all service patches,
> Processor: AMD Athlon(XP) 1700+
> H Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR_107D
> I Drive: DVD ROM 16x
>
> Software (Media):
> Real Player (CD and DVD Auto Play disabled)
> WMP 5 (disassociated, not used)
> Nero 6 (Media Player and Show Time DVD player associated)
> Media Player Classic
>
> Problem:
> I insert DVD into I Drive and PC freezes. First I see the cursor change
> indicating a program is starting, then the cursor freezes. After a minute
> or two the cursor unfreezes, but, a few seconds later it freezes again.
> Green light is on indicating DVD is spinning, red lights on hard drive

shows
> that they are working hard. Only way out is to eject DVD and everything
> returns to normal.
>
> Inserting DVD into H Drive fires up Nero Show Time and I'm able to view
> video. Impossible to copy legit video from I to H.
>
> Inserting Music CD into I drive launches Nero Media Center and am able to
> hear CDs. Same if I use H Drive to listen to CDs. CDs copy successfully
> from I to H
>
> Device manager indicates everything OK and no conflicts. Both DVD drives
> relatively new.
>
> Any suggestions to this perplexing problem that has been bugging me for a
> few months? It's a pain having to use the same drive to record a DVD to

PC
> then burn to another DVD to copy it.
>
> Rob

Why keep software that is not used on your hard drive?
Start uninstalling them one by one until you find the one that's causing the
freezing.
I would start with real player.

Dave

Canopus 10-01-2004 10:35 AM

Re: DVD Freezes PC

"Rebelrouser" <rebelrouser@lineone.net> wrote in message

> Why keep software that is not used on your hard drive?
> Start uninstalling them one by one until you find the one that's causing

the
> freezing.
> I would start with real player.
>
> Dave

Real Player is disassociated from automatically playing CDs and DVDs upon
insert and many other formats upon double click. I use Real Player mainly
for listening to Internet radio that requires Real Player and for making the
occasional mp3 which I find it is good at.

Windows Media Player 5? Have you ever tried to uninstall WMP? It will
screw up Windows!

Media Player Classic I use for playing various video formats alternating
between it and Nero Show Time. It's also handy for playing various audio
formats in the background while I'm using other programs as it uses a very
small amount of memory and resources plus it does not create any entries in
the Windows registry.

I have no programs on my PC that I don't use. If failure of the DVD player
on I was due to a program installed then surely that program would also
interfere with the DVD RW on H and also very likely with playing audio CDs
on I.

Thanks anyway,

Rob