Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best Windows DVD player software? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269596-best-windows-dvd-player-software.html)

t. wise 09-04-2004 01:13 AM

Best Windows DVD player software?

I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's WinDVD,
but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot of
time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

M.B. 09-04-2004 04:19 AM

Re: Best Windows DVD player software?

t. wise wrote:
> I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
> What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's WinDVD,
> but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot of
> time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

The two biggies are WinDVD and Power DVD. I've used both, although I
haven't used Power DVD in a while, and I prefer WinDVD. But I know a
lot of people prefer PowerDVD. So you might want to try it.

Nonymous 09-04-2004 10:19 AM

"t. wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:zE8_c.11346$QJ3.2927@newssvr21.news.prodigy.c om...
> I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
> What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

WinDVD,
> but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

of
> time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
Much better software. IMO, of course.

Rick 09-04-2004 10:49 AM

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in message news:jbydnYGGNuglC6TcRVn-vg@giganews.com...

> "t. wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:zE8_c.11346$QJ3.2927@newssvr21.news.prodigy.c om...
> > I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
> > What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

> WinDVD,
> > but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

> of
> > time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

> I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
> me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
> Much better software. IMO, of course.

PowerDVD is my second favorite DVD player. In terms of
video quality and smoothness I still prefer the old Ravisent
Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

Rick

Paul Bird 09-04-2004 10:53 AM

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
> go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
> a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
> deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
> it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
> through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

Paul

Rick 09-04-2004 11:04 AM

"Paul Bird" <pbird@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:2ptl65Fov9svU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
> > go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
> > a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
> > deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
> > it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
> > through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

> How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
> round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

Paul, this issue goes way WAY back... Developers raised
hell about kmixer when Win2K was released because they
couldn't properly sync audio streams. But going through
kmixer was "required" according to MS design specs.
Eventually a few developers were given workarounds so
their apps wouldn't have to go through kmixer. Ravisent's
32-bit Cinemaster drivers were developed prior to Win2K
and were never designed or required to go though kmixer.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms here. It's the kind
of thing where one probably won't even notice this delay
unless one sees side-by-side comparisons with a player
that doesn't have it. And almost all players released in
the past few years have it.

Rick

OhMy 09-04-2004 11:07 AM

Re: Best Windows DVD player software?

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 06:19:45 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>"t. wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:zE8_c.11346$QJ3.2927@newssvr21.news.prodigy. com...
>> I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
>> What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

>WinDVD,
>> but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

>of
>> time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.

>I'm in the PowerDVD club. I used to use a copy of WinDVD that a friend gave
>me but then I got a copy of PowerDVD that came with a DVD drive I bought.
>Much better software. IMO, of course.

I use PowerDVD too. I hate load times and PowerDVD loads a whole lot
faster than WinDVD. Movie quality is good too.

John Eckart 09-04-2004 03:14 PM

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2ptlq3Fok5elU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Paul Bird" <pbird@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:2ptl65Fov9svU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > Cinemaster '99. Most recent players including PowerDVD
>> > go through Windows' kmixer for its audio, which introduces
>> > a 15ms delay between audio and video. Not that it's a big
>> > deal (most people can't even discern this 15ms delay), but
>> > it's still slightly irritating to me. Cinemaster '99 doesn't go
>> > through Windows' kmixer so this delay isn't present.

>> How do you know? Do you have a lab test program for this? I'd like to get
>> round this but as you say, hadn't noticed.

> Paul, this issue goes way WAY back... Developers raised
> hell about kmixer when Win2K was released because they
> couldn't properly sync audio streams. But going through
> kmixer was "required" according to MS design specs.
> Eventually a few developers were given workarounds so
> their apps wouldn't have to go through kmixer. Ravisent's
> 32-bit Cinemaster drivers were developed prior to Win2K
> and were never designed or required to go though kmixer.
>
> I didn't mean to open a can of worms here. It's the kind
> of thing where one probably won't even notice this delay
> unless one sees side-by-side comparisons with a player
> that doesn't have it. And almost all players released in
> the past few years have it.

Thanks for telling me! I was blissfully unaware of the problem, but now I'm probably going to notice! You're giving out too much information. ;)

Autodidact 09-05-2004 01:55 AM

Re: Best Windows DVD player software?

I may be way off, but doesn't the ATI Multimedia Center DVD player software
buffer the video a bit so that it can sync back with the audio?

Adrian Boliston 09-05-2004 12:52 PM

Re: Best Windows DVD player software?

"t. wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:zE8_c.11346$QJ3.2927@newssvr21.news.prodigy.c om...

> I'm runing WinXP Pro, and occasionally use the computer to play movies.
> What's the best DVD player software to get? I've tried InterVideo's

WinDVD,
> but have been having some installation problems, so before I invest a lot

of
> time into troubleshooting it, I'd like to try some others.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Media Player Classic

http://snipurl.com/6t57

(long url)
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=227046