Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Verdict reviews: DARK SHADOWS: DVD COLLECTION THIRTEEN and more! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269482-dvd-verdict-reviews-dark-shadows-dvd-collection-thirteen-and-more.html)

DVD Verdict 08-26-2004 09:03 AM

DVD Verdict reviews: DARK SHADOWS: DVD COLLECTION THIRTEEN and more!

Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of 2LDK, BATTLE OF THE PLANETS,
VOLUMES ONE-FIVE, BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY WITH JANIS
JOPLIN: NINE HUNDRED NIGHTS, BURN UP EXCESS: WARRIOR CASE FILES, THE
CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: PITCH BLACK, CONTRABAND, DARK SHADOWS: DVD
COLLECTION THIRTEEN, DEMON LORD DANTE: DANTE RESURRECTS (VOLUME 1), JOE
COCKER: LIVE ACROSS FROM MIDNIGHT TOUR, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION:
PLATINUM COLLECTION (VOLUME 1), POPULAR MECHANICS FOR KIDS: SLITHER AND
SLIME AND OTHER YUCKY THINGS, and WESTWARD HO / SANTA FE STAMPEDE /
THREE FACES WEST:

2LDK (reviewed by Bill Gibron, overall score 93/100):
"Like a John Woo movie on estrogen, or Heathers with a healthy dose of
hand-to-hand combat, Tsutsumi has built a near-perfect combination of
philosophy and fisticuffs, a movie that consistently transcends its chop-
socky story to say something far more meaningful about the battle of the
same sexes."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/2ldk.php

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS, VOLUMES ONE-FIVE (reviewed by Mike Pinsky,
overall score 40/100):
"This stuff is so bad that it drags down the entire disc (hence the
lower rating this time around). It sullies all that is pure and good in
the world. It is more evil than Galactor could ever hope to be."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/battleplanets.php

BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY WITH JANIS JOPLIN: NINE HUNDRED
NIGHTS (reviewed by Joel Pearce, overall score 79/100):
"The band continued playing with each other into the '90s, but that
fact is completely glossed over, as though they disappeared as soon as
their lead singer walked out the door. If this is, as the back cover
claims, the untold story of this lesser band, they really ought to have
finished it."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/ninehundrednights.php

BURN UP EXCESS: WARRIOR CASE FILES (reviewed by David Gutierrez, overall
score 78/100):
"If somebody told me I would be given the opportunity to witness over
five hours of buxom women in form-fitting suits kicking around
criminals, I would have thanked them and written them a large check.
After watching Burn Up Excess: Warrior Case Files, I should have known
there was a catch."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/burnupexcess.php

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: PITCH BLACK (reviewed by Dennis Prince,
overall score 82/100):
"Let's get right to it: this is a money grab. Clearly, Universal has
dollar signs in its eyes as it release four new versions of Pitch Black,
now with the title of the 2004 sequel, The Chronicles of Riddick
clumsily pasted on in antecedent awkwardness."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/pitchblackredux.php

CONTRABAND (reviewed by Paul Corupe, overall score 72/100):
"Contraband is a seeming tribute to American Mafia films like The
Godfather as well as the violent crime thrillers known as
'poliziotteschi' that proliferated in Italian cinemas in the 1970s.
Depending on your mood, this could be considered either an extra-gory
mob movie, or a horror film about a ring of cigarette smugglers
terrorized by a group of killers. Either way, it falls somewhat short of
its intended mark."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/contraband.php

DARK SHADOWS: DVD COLLECTION THIRTEEN (reviewed by Bill Gibron, overall
score 89/100):
"Just to make sure we don't forget which plane of existence our
narrative is buttered on, we have some zombies, ghosts, and gratuitous
muttonchops to amp up the menace."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/darkshadows13.php

DEMON LORD DANTE: DANTE RESURRECTS (VOLUME 1) (reviewed by Joel Pearce,
overall score 52/100):
"Taking a shot each time a character says 'Demon Lord Dante' would make
a great drinking game. It would increase the overall enjoyment of the
series, and save you the pain of watching the last episode. I don't
think anyone could make it that long."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/de...ddantevol1.php

JOE COCKER: LIVE ACROSS FROM MIDNIGHT TOUR (reviewed by Patrick Naugle,
overall score 75/100):
"If you're in the mood for a little rock and roll, a little R&B, and
a little bit of soul, look no further than the sandpapery voice of
musician Joe Cocker."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/jo...vemidnight.php

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: PLATINUM COLLECTION (VOLUME 1) (reviewed by Rob
Lineberger, overall score 97/100):
"There are many undercurrents to Neon Genesis Evangelion, but one of the
best is the way it taps into deeply rooted male fantasy."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/ng...numcolvol1.php

POPULAR MECHANICS FOR KIDS: SLITHER AND SLIME AND OTHER YUCKY THINGS
(reviewed by David Packard, overall score 90/100):
"The flinch factor is upped thanks to a live bee sting, an overview of
parasites such as tapeworms and head lice, and an amazing, close-up
beheading of a cockroach to explain how the little bastards can live up
to a week after losing their noggins."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/pmkslither.php

WESTWARD HO / SANTA FE STAMPEDE / THREE FACES WEST (reviewed by Barrie
Maxwell, overall score 66/100):
"Unlike what the back of the Westward Ho disc would tell you, John Wayne
did not begin his film career 'as a two-fisted pistol-packin' cowboy in
a series of memorable Lone Star westerns.'"

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/johnwayne3fer.php

Mike Jackson
Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com