Velocity Reviews

-   -   High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269383-high-def-dvd-players-headed-for-stores.html)

Allan 08-19-2004 11:30 PM

High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...m_highdef_dc_1

By Jill Kipnis

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Toshiba/NEC plans to have its
high-definition DVD hardware on retail shelves in early 2005.

The manufacturing partnership announced at a Tokyo showcase the last
week of July that HD DVD players will be available next year in the
United States and Japan. The Toshiba/NEC format is endorsed by the DVD
Forum, an international association of 200 companies.

The rival Blu-ray HD format -- which is backed by 13 manufacturers,
including Sony, Samsung, Philips, Dell and Hewlett-Packard -- is
expected to introduce its players in the States by the end of 2005.
Blu-ray hardware has already launched in Japan.

So far, the only home-video distributor to officially endorse one of
the HD formats is Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, whose parent
company, Sony, is a key proponent of Blu-ray.

Reuters/Billboard

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Mark Jones 08-20-2004 01:52 AM

Re: High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores.

"Allan" <Spamsucks@soineverpostwithmyrealemailaddress.ne t> wrote in message
> So far, the only home-video distributor to officially endorse one of
> the HD formats is Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, whose parent
> company, Sony, is a key proponent of Blu-ray.

The only thing that really matters is what format the movies are
in when they are made available for purchase. I am inclined to
buy a Sony unit because I have had good results with them.

dvdguy2@webtv.net 08-21-2004 05:42 PM

Re: High-Def DVD Players Headed for Stores.

The only current "HD DVD for purchase currently works only on computers
and only on wndows media player. Stand-alone players for this type of
HD-DVD will be made in the future.

These are the only true HD DVD" discs currently available for purchase
in regular stores.

All of this information was printed in "TV Guide"