Velocity Reviews

-   -   HELP! What is this annoying buzz? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269193-help-what-is-this-annoying-buzz.html)

E. Paul Wileyto 08-04-2004 01:31 PM

HELP! What is this annoying buzz?

We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
background. Thought it might be grounding, but the buzz varies with
what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
scene to scene.

Does anyone have any clues or cures?

Thanks

Paul

RichC 08-04-2004 08:33 PM

Re: HELP! What is this annoying buzz?

"E. Paul Wileyto" <epw@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message news:<ceqof6$fq6c$1@netnews.upenn.edu>...
> We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
> instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
> it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
> the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
> background. Thought it might be grounding, but the buzz varies with
> what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
> scene to scene.
>
> Does anyone have any clues or cures?

Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.

By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."

RichC

Mike Jackson 08-04-2004 08:44 PM

Re: HELP! What is this annoying buzz?

> Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.
>
> By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."

"Nipples" is so much more evocative though.

I'd also suggest better quality cabling to see if that affects it at all.
Could be that the one you're using isn't probably shielded.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

LASERandDVDfan 08-05-2004 02:16 AM

Re: HELP! What is this annoying buzz?

>I'd also suggest better quality cabling to see if that affects it at all.
>Could be that the one you're using isn't probably shielded.

Another possibility could be that the cables might be located too close to
something that can bleed noise into the audio feed, like if the dangling cables
were too close to the TV set. - Reinhart

jb 08-05-2004 02:17 PM

"RichC" <rdclark2@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:91d5cbe2.0408041233.57c09a22@posting.google.c om...
> "E. Paul Wileyto" <epw@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> > We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
> > instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
> > it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
> > the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
> > background. Thought it might be grounding, but the buzz varies with
> > what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
> > scene to scene.
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues or cures?

> Try turning the brightness *way* down on the TV.

and the contrast while looking at a menu or something that makes the most
noise

> By the way, those are "jacks," not "nipples."
>
> RichC

OR... if you have a stereo/reciver in the same room you could connect the
dvd player's audio up to the reciever and the noise should definetly be gone
then.(and get better sound too)

Waterperson77 08-11-2004 08:13 PM

Re: HELP! What is this annoying buzz?

>We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
>instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
>it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
>the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
>background. Thought it might be

>grounding, but the buzz varies with
>what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
>scene to scene.

After reading the other replies to this message, most seemed unhelpful. The
replies to "turn the brightness down" seemed to actually be trying to be
helpful. However, I very much doubt that that is the problem.

It seems to me as if you have one of the audio jacks connected to one of the
video jacks.

That will make a buzzing noise that is related to the picture on the screen.

check: a cord from the yellow video out jack should be going to the yellow
video in jack on the other device.

a cord from the white audio jack should be going to the white audio in jack.

and of course, ead audio jack to red audio jack.

but you know that.

It seems to me as if you accidentally connected the wrong cord to the wrong
jack.

Recheck your cords. I can verify for a fact that when the audio cord is
connected to the video jack, it will make a buzzing ofthe sort that you have
described in your post.

stankley 08-12-2004 12:22 PM

waterperson77@wmconnect.com (Waterperson77) wrote in message news:<20040811161331.16411.00001206@mb-m14.wmconnect.com>...
> >We have just purchased our first DVD player (people kept giving us DVDs
> >instead of tapes). It is a Sony entry- level player, and we connected
> >it to a ca. 1994 Sony TV through the usual red/white/yellow nipples in
> >the back. Picture is great, but the audio has a buzz sound in the
> >background. Thought it might be

> >grounding, but the buzz varies with
> >what is on the screen. Text/menus are the worst, and it varies from
> >scene to scene.

> After reading the other replies to this message, most seemed unhelpful. The
> replies to "turn the brightness down" seemed to actually be trying to be
> helpful. However, I very much doubt that that is the problem.
>
> It seems to me as if you have one of the audio jacks connected to one of the
> video jacks.
>
> That will make a buzzing noise that is related to the picture on the screen.
>
> check: a cord from the yellow video out jack should be going to the yellow
> video in jack on the other device.
>
> a cord from the white audio jack should be going to the white audio in jack.
>
> and of course, ead audio jack to red audio jack.
>
> but you know that.
>
> It seems to me as if you accidentally connected the wrong cord to the wrong
> jack.
>
> Recheck your cords. I can verify for a fact that when the audio cord is
> connected to the video jack, it will make a buzzing ofthe sort that you have
> described in your post.

And that's a helpful response is it? The poster clearly stated the
picture was excellent and that he's using red/white/yellow nipples.
How, pray, can he therefore have plugged the audio cable into the
yellow nipple? He's getting video out of the left audio channel is
he? ;-)

Richard C. 08-13-2004 02:04 PM

:
[...]
You are 100% "unhelpful" with your ignorant response.

clarkworks 08-11-2011 03:20 PM

I just did a google search to get help on figuring out why my Sony DVD player creates a buzz sound and came across this thread. The TV is in an alcove and radios get interference there too, so I thought it was something I wasn't going to be able to solve. The reply about the wires being plugged to the wrong outlets seemed like a "too simple to be true" solution, but lo and behold, that's exactly what the problem was. The video jacks on the back of the DVD player weren't in a row and the red jack was mistakenly plugged into a purple outlet ... problem solved! Thank you so much to the person who posted this solution (Waterperson77?). Pay no attention to those people who posted that your solution was so unhelpful ... it was perfect for me!

PS: any ideas why my radio gets interference in that alcove?

Fockbone 01-19-2012 01:52 AM

Gee what's with the narky responses? I found most if them useful. I found the thread through google as I had the same problem. Guess what? I had the red cable in the nipple for the wrong component. Thanks for helping. Dave