Velocity Reviews

-   -   Silver Streak Released on DVD??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t269117-silver-streak-released-on-dvd.html)

Dave Walker 07-29-2004 01:22 AM

Silver Streak Released on DVD???

I found a copy Silver Streak on DVD(!) over at eBay. The copy looks
legitimate, but how come I don't remember reading anything about its
release? Also, amazon.com says that it currently isn't available on
DVD. However, judging from the picture, and from the guy's feedback,
it appears to be legitimate. Here's the scoop:

http://tinyurl.com/4cf3e

Anyone care to make a guess?

Jordan Zimmer 07-29-2004 01:29 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

Hmm, interesting that the guy has now made his feedback "private"... I
don't know what to think here. I don't want to be stuck buying junk,
pirated copies...

news:6ae94c32.0407281722.1e170ae@posting.google.co m...

FAQmeister 07-29-2004 01:33 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

"Dave Walker" <fault_of_bush2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6ae94c32.0407281722.1e170ae@posting.google.co m
> I found a copy Silver Streak on DVD(!) over at eBay. The copy looks
> legitimate, but how come I don't remember reading anything about its
> release? Also, amazon.com says that it currently isn't available on
> DVD. However, judging from the picture, and from the guy's feedback,
> it appears to be legitimate. Here's the scoop:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4cf3e
>

> Anyone care to make a guess?

Probably an Asian import, but don't let that stop you if you want it.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Mike Kohary 07-29-2004 02:32 AM

Dave Walker wrote:
> I found a copy Silver Streak on DVD(!) over at eBay. The copy looks
> legitimate, but how come I don't remember reading anything about its
> release? Also, amazon.com says that it currently isn't available on
> DVD. However, judging from the picture, and from the guy's feedback,
> it appears to be legitimate. Here's the scoop:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4cf3e
>
> Anyone care to make a guess?

<sigh> Not trying to be harsh, but what do you *really* think? You
obviously want to believe something badly enough to convince yourself, in
spite of good solid evidence to the contrary.

An ebay seller, versus Amazon.com's database. Which do you think is more
accurate? Pictures mean nothing; professionally labeled DVDs and packaging
can be produced in any home. And what does feedback have to do with
anything? You correctly remember not reading anything about a release, but
choose to ignore the valuable information your brain is trying to feed you.

Yes, it's a bootleg. Why would you doubt it?

Mike

Jordan Zimmer 07-29-2004 02:53 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

Actually, I e-mailed the bidder and it turns out that is is indeed a
legitimate copy, imported from Asia. I went ahead and purchased it since
I'm tired of the waiting game coming from 20th Century Fox. They obviously
have no interest in this classic or it would have been released a long time
ago. Whoever gives it to me first gets my business...

Jordan

Murder 07-29-2004 04:06 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

"Jordan Zimmer" <jordanchatham@yahoo.com> wrote in news:lDZNc.15139
$BU4.946060@news20.bellglobal.com:

> Actually, I e-mailed the bidder and it turns out that is is indeed a
> legitimate copy, imported from Asia

LOL!

--
"There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

LASERandDVDfan 07-29-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

>I'm tired of the waiting game coming from 20th Century Fox. They obviously
>have no interest in this classic or it would have been released a long time
>ago. Whoever gives it to me first gets my business...

Well, I'll be looking for this film in letterbox on LaserDisc for myself, if I
can find it.

Good replacement for my P&Sed CED copy of this fun film.

"Son of a bitch!" - Reinhart

Oldus Fartus 07-29-2004 09:14 AM

Jordan Zimmer wrote:

> Actually, I e-mailed the bidder and it turns out that is is indeed a
> legitimate copy, imported from Asia. I went ahead and purchased it since
> I'm tired of the waiting game coming from 20th Century Fox. They obviously
> have no interest in this classic or it would have been released a long time
> ago. Whoever gives it to me first gets my business...
>
> Jordan

In that case it is almost certainly a bootleg. They are available just
about everywhere in Vietnam and other Asian countries for around 70c
US. Quality varies from very good to extremely poor, and are usually
pressed single layer discs. Artwork and labels are usually good.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Jim Burgan 08-01-2004 06:06 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

> I found a copy Silver Streak on DVD(!) over at eBay. The copy looks
> legitimate, but how come I don't remember reading anything about its
> release? Also, amazon.com says that it currently isn't available on
> DVD. However, judging from the picture, and from the guy's feedback,
> it appears to be legitimate. Here's the scoop:
> http://tinyurl.com/4cf3e
> Anyone care to make a guess?

Looks like the Laser Disc artwork modified for a DVD.
No mention of whether it's widescreen or P&S and no mention of the audio.
The Laser Disc is analog stereo P&S so my bet is someone made a knock-off
from the Laser Disc.
There has been nothing mentioned anywhere that 20th Century Fox is planning
a release of this movie on DVD and the VHS and Laser Discs are out of
print,and there has never been a legit DVD released in any foreign market.
The lack of region code and every other issue points to one thing: It's
gotta be a bootleg!
I'll continue to watch my P&S Laser Disc until someone at Fox wakes up and
releases this jewel on DVD. They've already released the other Wilder/Prior
(horrible) movies, why not release the only one worth a diddley-durn?
Meanwhile, my advice is to stay away from this one on eBay.

Dave Garrett 08-03-2004 03:49 AM

Re: Silver Streak Released on DVD???

In article <cei1ik$29u0$1@news.iquest.net>, jimbo@qmix.com says...

> > I found a copy Silver Streak on DVD(!) over at eBay. The copy looks
> > legitimate, but how come I don't remember reading anything about its
> > release? Also, amazon.com says that it currently isn't available on
> > DVD. However, judging from the picture, and from the guy's feedback,
> > it appears to be legitimate. Here's the scoop:
> > http://tinyurl.com/4cf3e
> > Anyone care to make a guess?

> Looks like the Laser Disc artwork modified for a DVD.
> No mention of whether it's widescreen or P&S and no mention of the audio.
> The Laser Disc is analog stereo P&S so my bet is someone made a knock-off
> from the Laser Disc.
> There has been nothing mentioned anywhere that 20th Century Fox is planning
> a release of this movie on DVD and the VHS and Laser Discs are out of
> print,and there has never been a legit DVD released in any foreign market.
> The lack of region code and every other issue points to one thing: It's
> gotta be a bootleg!
> I'll continue to watch my P&S Laser Disc until someone at Fox wakes up and
> releases this jewel on DVD. They've already released the other Wilder/Prior
> (horrible) movies, why not release the only one worth a diddley-durn?
> Meanwhile, my advice is to stay away from this one on eBay.

Fox also released a widescreen laserdisc of SILVER STREAK in 1996, with
digital sound. It has different jacket art than the old P&S disc - if
you do a search on completed items on eBay you can probably find a
picture of one that's sold recently.

Dave