Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   Marx Brothers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268976-marx-brothers.html)

Spookshow 07-19-2004 11:35 PM

Marx Brothers
 
Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

Thanks,
-Mark



Card53 07-19-2004 11:59 PM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
>Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
>the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
>should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?
>
>Thanks,
>-Mark


The Paramount Marx films are set for re-release in November.



John Larrabee
Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
http://laurelandhardycentral.com

(To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

Meng 07-20-2004 12:12 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
>
> The Paramount Marx films are set for re-release in November.
>

Excellent. Individually, or in a box like the UK release?


Derek Janssen 07-20-2004 03:20 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
Spookshow wrote:

> Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
> the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
> should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?


From what I can gather from DVDPricesearch, the exOrbitantly priced
11/9 Universals--which are as "official" as they're pretty damn well
going to get--are now a boxset (no word yet on individual disks), but
with a 6th bonus-extra disk.

Ditto, apparently, for the WC Fields set.

Derek Janssen (and as for the Taiwans...oh, COME now!)
djanss@rcn.com


jayembee 07-20-2004 03:36 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
spookshow@visi.com says...

> Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
> the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
> should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?


I think you're confused. The "exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases"
are not Universal releases. They were from Image Entertainment, who licensed
the films from Universal, and are exhorbitantly priced because they have been
OOP for a couple of years.

The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from Universal
this time.

-- jayembee

Brian The Demolition Man Little 07-20-2004 07:02 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
jayembee wrote:
> The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
> Universal this time.


Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
are putting out their own boxsets?

--
Brian The Demolition Man Little
TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod
Want "Fullscreen DVDs"... Buy VHS and get your
filthy hands off of my Widescreen DVD! Widescreen.org



jayembee 07-20-2004 07:34 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
a@b.c says...

> jayembee wrote:
>> The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
>> Universal this time.

>
> Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
> Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
> are putting out their own boxsets?


The latter. The first five Marx Brothers films were made at Paramount,
and the rights to them went to Universal when Universal bought the
Paramount library back in the late 40s.

After those five films, the Marxes left Paramount. Of their next seven
films, five were at MGM, one at RKO, and one at United Artists. These
are all controlled by Warner, and were released by them the other month.

There's one other United Artists film, LOVE HAPPY, which was just released
on DVD by Artisan (since UA was exclusively a distributor back then, rather
than a studio, the rights to the various films they released go to several
different hands). This isn't a true Marx Brothers film, though, as it was
primarily a vehicle for Harpo, with Groucho and Chico appearing in it as
support.

One last film, THE STORY OF MANKIND, isn't really a Marx Brothers film,
either. The Marxes aren't the stars, nor do they even appear in their
segments together. This was originally released by Warner, and they
still hold the rights. I'd be surprised if they bothered to release it
on DVD, though. It's not very good.

-- jayembee


Stefan 07-20-2004 11:19 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
The first five movies (The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers,
Monkey Business, Duck Soup) were made by Paramount and are now owned
by Universal. They will be released on DVD in the USA in November, and
have already been available in Europe and Australia.
The next movies were made by MGM (A Night at the Opera, A Day at the
Races, At the Circus, Go West, The Big Store) and are now owned by
Warner who have released a box set and some single DVDs in May in the
US and will release it in the UK in August. They have also included
"Room Service" (not UK) and "A Night in Casablanca"
The last movie "Love Happy" has also been released last month.

List of all DVD releases:
http://www.marx-brothers.org/watching/dvd.htm

Stefan
http://www.marx-brothers.org

"Brian The Demolition Man Little" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:<zuydnZ3WRpzzXmHdRVn-sQ@giganews.com>...
> jayembee wrote:
> > The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
> > Universal this time.

>
> Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
> Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
> are putting out their own boxsets?


Derek Janssen 07-20-2004 11:53 AM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
jayembee wrote:

>>Are any of these Taiwan imports worth buying (Horse Feathers, et al)? Are
>>the now exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases worth the money? Or
>>should I just wait and hope for a new "official" release?

>
>
> I think you're confused. The "exhorbitantly priced original Universal releases"
> are not Universal releases. They were from Image Entertainment, who licensed
> the films from Universal, and are exhorbitantly priced because they have been
> OOP for a couple of years.


And given that confusion, the only reason the OP may have found the
Images "exhorbitant" was that he tried to get them on Ebay.

Derek Janssen (wellll...now you don't have to!)
djanss@rcn.com


Bill Coleman 07-20-2004 07:56 PM

Re: Marx Brothers
 
The UK Universal Box (which I picked up last year)
does not include Cocoanuts. I'm hoping Universal US
will also be releasing these discs individually.

Bill Coleman

==============================

"Stefan" <use.website.to.reply@marx-brothers.org> wrote in message
news:85051aed.0407200319.33d5071e@posting.google.c om...
> The first five movies (The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Horse Feathers,
> Monkey Business, Duck Soup) were made by Paramount and are now owned
> by Universal. They will be released on DVD in the USA in November, and
> have already been available in Europe and Australia.
> The next movies were made by MGM (A Night at the Opera, A Day at the
> Races, At the Circus, Go West, The Big Store) and are now owned by
> Warner who have released a box set and some single DVDs in May in the
> US and will release it in the UK in August. They have also included
> "Room Service" (not UK) and "A Night in Casablanca"
> The last movie "Love Happy" has also been released last month.
>
> List of all DVD releases:
> http://www.marx-brothers.org/watching/dvd.htm
>
> Stefan
> http://www.marx-brothers.org
>
> "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <a@b.c> wrote in message

news:<zuydnZ3WRpzzXmHdRVn-sQ@giganews.com>...
> > jayembee wrote:
> > > The "new official release" will be in November, really and truly from
> > > Universal this time.

> >
> > Wasn't there a boxset that Warner just put out? Or is this the case of
> > Universal owning some stuff and Warner owning other stuff so they
> > are putting out their own boxsets?





All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.