Velocity Reviews

-   -   Quality Science Fiction movies... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268824-quality-science-fiction-movies.html)

Mike Jackson 07-07-2004 10:32 PM

Re: Quality Science Fiction movies...

> Event Horizon
> Enemy Mine
> The Empire Strikes Back
> Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
> Pitch Black

If those are what you consider great sci-fi, I'd also recommend:

The Fifth Element
Stargate
Demolition Man

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Leopold Stotch 07-07-2004 10:37 PM

The Kontaminator wrote:
> Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films-
> primarily set in space, that I may enjoy.
>
> My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
>
> Event Horizon
> Enemy Mine
> The Empire Strikes Back
> Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
> Pitch Black

The Thing (although it's sci-fi horror and set on Earth...)
Dune
Starship Troopers
Total Recall
Chasing Amy (just ask Kevin Smith)

There are more sci-fi films that I'd recommend, but they're not what you
specified.

Grand Inquisitor 07-07-2004 10:51 PM

Re: Quality Science Fiction movies...

DVD groups are not appropriate for this post. But I'll suggest

The Thing (not set in space but good)
2001: A Space Odyssey (the best science fiction movie and also the best
movie of any kind, ever)
The Stalker (also not set in space)
Akira (again, no space)
Memories (actually three short films in one, the first one is set in space)
Star Trek, especially II and VI.
Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")
Dark Star

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Michael Rogers 07-07-2004 10:52 PM

Re: Quality Science Fiction movies...

A few I like (some of these are bonafied classics, others depend on how
eclectic you can be in something you like. All of these has good
qualites despite some having some flaws)

The Day The Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Colosis: The Forbin Project
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Soylent Green
Planet Of The Apes
Zardoz
2001: A Space Oddysey
A Clockwork Orange
The Fifth Element
Silent Running
The Fantastic Voyage

higgy 07-07-2004 11:12 PM

"The Kontaminator" wrote:

> Can anybody please recommend some good Science fiction films-
> primarily set in space, that I may enjoy.
>
> My own favourites, I can think of consist of the following:
>
> Event Horizon
> Enemy Mine
> The Empire Strikes Back
> Alien (Yes I prefer this to Aliens, only just though.)
> Pitch Black
>
> Any tippage would be great.

I'll second the recommendation for Silent Running, but other than that,
I'm scratching my head and all I can think of is the TV series Firefly
(which is excellent) and the new Battlestar Galactica mini (much better
than I expected).

I occurs to me that there just hasn't been enough good science fiction
made in the past couple of decades... hopefully Pitch Black 2 will avoid
being a **** Van Diesel vehicle and start a trend.

Dave.

Spack 07-07-2004 11:34 PM

"Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:S7%Gc.191498$DG4.191415@fe2.columbus.rr.com.. .
> Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed from")

Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon "borrowed
from" a movie that was released 5 years later?

Dan

Ridwan Hughes 07-07-2004 11:36 PM

Re: Quality Science Fiction movies...

In article <S7%Gc.191498$DG4.191415@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
zork@columbus.rr.com says...
> DVD groups are not appropriate for this post. But I'll suggest
>
> Dark Star

If you like that then try Galaxina, picked up the DVD for a quid at a car
boot sale and wasn't disappointed. It's anamorphic to boot.

Set-in-space sci-fi favourites:

Red Planet
Mission to Mars
Supernova
Galaxyquest
The Black Hole
The Last Starfighter

Non-space sci-fi favourites:

Dark City
Lifeforce
Blade Runner
The Abyss

--
Rid

Nimrod 07-07-2004 11:43 PM

Spack <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:S7%Gc.191498$DG4.191415@fe2.columbus.rr.com.. .
> > Solaris (the movie Event Horizon ripped off, I mean, uh, "borrowed

from")

> Could you explain to my possibly befuddled mind how Event Horizon

"borrowed
> from" a movie that was released 5 years later?
>
> Dan

you know that Solaris with George Clooney was actually a remake of a film
from the 70's also called Solaris?

---

POD {ҿ} 07-07-2004 11:46 PM

Re: Quality Science Fiction movies...

Ridwan Hughes lifted their leg and sniffed their own bum in uk.media.dvd

> Non-space sci-fi favourites:
>
> Dark City
> Lifeforce
> Blade Runner
> The Abyss

BR only 3rd on the list, wait til this gets back to the group ;-)

--
. .))