Velocity Reviews

-   -   OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268812-omgfg-nighthawks-music-altered.html)

buck16 07-07-2004 03:25 AM

OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
instrumental crap.

I just checked the internet and see this was confirmed by another
disappointed buyer at Amazon. THIS SUCKS!! Guess I'm keeping my old
version.

Can I return the new one to Deep Discount as defective?

Thanks,
Matt

Tarkus 07-07-2004 04:41 AM

Re: OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

On 7/6/2004 8:25:45 PM, buck16 wrote:

> Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
> scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
> is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
> is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
> instrumental crap.

Is the rest of the Emerson soundtrack intact? That would be my main
reason for buying it (though it's a pretty good movie, too).
--
"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere
near the place." - Steven Wright

Now playing: "April Wine - I Just Wanna Make Love To You"

buck16 07-07-2004 05:34 AM

Re: OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

I don't know. I was so disappointed, I pulled the d*mn thing out of
my player immediately. I'm keeping my old 4:3 version. That club
scene is one of the best in the movie and is completely ruined by the
lame replacement music.

Meng 07-07-2004 11:30 AM

Re: OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

> Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
> scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
> is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
> is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
> instrumental crap.

Don't know which side of the pond you live on, but here in the UK it's been
a problem for years, usually with Universal and Paramount titles.

Back in the days of VHS, these were released by a company called CIC and I
learned very quickly to keep TV versions of their stuff. Airplane II (all
Battlestar Galactica music replaced), the Star Trek episode "City On The
Edge Of Forever" (Goodnight Sweetheart replaced) and National Lampoon's
Animal House all suffered from this. In the case of the latter, in the very
first UK release virtually all the 60s background music was replaced by some
hideous 70s-style music which just totally ruined the film.

Eric R. 07-07-2004 01:00 PM

buck16 <none@oyb.com> wrote in message news:<gsqme0t68fpiipccr6p8qfvvf5arnvf8fm@4ax.com>. ..
> Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
> scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?!

Once again, I've been saved by my "No Sylvester Stallone Movies"
policy. Though I was considering making an exception for the great
Rutger Hauer, my tried-and-true Stallone policy came through and saved
me $15.

-Eric

Michael Rogers 07-07-2004 07:28 PM

Re: OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

Yes, it's true. Music has been altered. The rest of the Emmerson music
is there. Also, (if memory serves and SPOILER!!!) the final shootdown of
the Wolfgar is shortened, I remember more shots when it was on cable.
Both the 4:3 and 16:9 DVD's have less.

Always enjoyed Knighthawks, too bad the music has been screwed with.

Mike

argo 07-09-2004 04:17 PM

Re: OMGFG!! Nighthawks music altered!!!

I honestly really didn't really notice it, I wanted to watch it for the
movie, not the music. I did notice tha tthe shootout at the end was shorten
but I wasn't surprised. Only paid $9 for it at Best Buy, I'm not
complaining.

Arg0-

Steve Roberts 07-10-2004 11:29 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:25:45 GMT, buck16 <none@oyb.com> wrote:

>Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
>scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
>is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
>is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
>instrumental crap.
>
>I just checked the internet and see this was confirmed by another
>disappointed buyer at Amazon. THIS SUCKS!! Guess I'm keeping my old
>version.

It's a big problem throughout the industry. I've worked on several BBC
DVD's where we have had to change music because either the rights to
use the original music were prohibitively expensive (several thousand
pounds to use a few seconds of a Fleetwood Mac track playing on a
transistor radio in the background, for example) or simply just not
available at any price (any song by The Beatles being a good example
of this).

The situation also changes all the time - hence a song that was
clearable for release five years ago may no longer be clearable for
release now.

In an ideal world, the producers would have bought the music rights
'in-perpetuity', but sadly this may have added an unacceptable
overhead to their production budget - and this is certainly very true
in TV production, where budgets are generally even tighter.

It's interesting to watch shows like the last episode of 'The
Prisoner', which features a full-on gunfight and slaughter scene
playing out to The Beatles 'All You Need is Love' (IIRC). Even if the
rights were available, I doubt the current copyright holder would
allow the song's use in such a scenario now, but there's nothing they
can do about it because the original producer had the foresight to buy
in-perpetuity rights.

I'm afraid it comes down to a choice of replacing the music or simply
not being able to release the film or TV show. One can only hope that
any replacement is done sympathetically at least. When we had to
replace two Beatles tracks playing in the background on a jukebox in
the UK DVD release of the Doctor Who story 'Remembrance of the
Daleks', we tried to be as sympathetic to the originals as possible.
We replaced 'Do You Want to Know a Secret' with the original Billy J
Kramer and the Dakotas version and the other track by a similar
sounding generic 'Merseybeat' style track. Ironically, when we came to
make the international versions of the disc, we found that the Billy J
Kramer track was only clearable in the UK, so we had to replace it
again with another generic Merseybeat track!

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

Nomica1216 03-20-2012 03:24 AM

New Version

Ok March 2012

I convinced my husband to sit with me and watch this his first time. WOW I was so disapointed. What was that "crap" music replacing "brown sugar" in the disco scene? My most favorite part. What was the reason for the change? I will never watch that again!:trytofly: