Velocity Reviews

-   -   Secret Window commentary (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268643-secret-window-commentary.html)

PW 06-24-2004 05:30 PM

Secret Window commentary

Has anyone listened to this yet?

In a particular scene where Johnny Depp talks with ex-wife
on the phone, he hangs up on her yelling, "Well you shouldn't
have f*cked him then!" Director David Koepp then notes how in order to get
a PG-13 rating, some static effect was used over the f-word
to obscure it.

Koepp goes on to describe how in a PG-13 movie, F*CK can only be used
once in a non-sexual way. He then gives examples like "F*ck you,
What the F*ck?," etc...

And the F*CKS are bleeped out! And he says it 3 or 4 times on the
commentary and they are censored. Did anyone else find this odd?
I know it was probably a joke, trying to make the commentary PG-13
like the movie, but I just thought it was ridiculous. Later on he says
"BullSh*t", and that's intact.

Please tell me the FCC is not getting ahold of DVD commentaries now!

M.B. 06-24-2004 05:37 PM

Re: Secret Window commentary

PW wrote:
> Has anyone listened to this yet?
>
> In a particular scene where Johnny Depp talks with ex-wife
> on the phone, he hangs up on her yelling, "Well you shouldn't
> have f*cked him then!" Director David Koepp then notes how in order to get
> a PG-13 rating, some static effect was used over the f-word
> to obscure it.
>
> Koepp goes on to describe how in a PG-13 movie, F*CK can only be used
> once in a non-sexual way. He then gives examples like "F*ck you,
> What the F*ck?," etc...
>
> And the F*CKS are bleeped out! And he says it 3 or 4 times on the
> commentary and they are censored. Did anyone else find this odd?
> I know it was probably a joke, trying to make the commentary PG-13
> like the movie, but I just thought it was ridiculous. Later on he says
> "BullSh*t", and that's intact.
>
> Please tell me the FCC is not getting ahold of DVD commentaries now!

Oy! The FCC does not legislate what goes on a DVD. The studio,
director, and or the MPAA does. Most likely it was the STUDIO that
bleeped it.

Mike Kohary 06-24-2004 08:18 PM

PW wrote:
> Has anyone listened to this yet?
>
> In a particular scene where Johnny Depp talks with ex-wife
> on the phone, he hangs up on her yelling, "Well you shouldn't
> have f*cked him then!" Director David Koepp then notes how in order
> to get a PG-13 rating, some static effect was used over the f-word
> to obscure it.
>
> Koepp goes on to describe how in a PG-13 movie, F*CK can only be used
> once in a non-sexual way. He then gives examples like "F*ck you,
> What the F*ck?," etc...
>
> And the F*CKS are bleeped out! And he says it 3 or 4 times on the
> commentary and they are censored. Did anyone else find this odd?
> I know it was probably a joke, trying to make the commentary PG-13
> like the movie, but I just thought it was ridiculous. Later on he
> says "BullSh*t", and that's intact.
>
> Please tell me the FCC is not getting ahold of DVD commentaries now!

No, the FCC has no jurisdiction over either DVDs or movies. Movies are
rated voluntarily by the MPAA (and no movie is required to be rated, though
it's in their best commercial interest to do so). The bleeps on the DVD
were probably initiated by the studio; only the movie content on a DVD is
rated.

Mike

Vlvetmorning98 06-27-2004 05:59 AM

Re: Secret Window commentary

The MPAA is full of ****. Thirty years ago, films like "The Conformist" (which
has a number of shots of a woman's breasts) could get away with PG rating. Even

"Beetlejuice" from 1988, which was released after the creation of the PG-13
rating, got a PG with the phrase