Velocity Reviews

-   -   Controlling Access to Outside Wireless Networks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26864-controlling-access-to-outside-wireless-networks.html)

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTWNNZWFucw==?= 01-09-2006 10:20 PM

Controlling Access to Outside Wireless Networks

I'm trying to prevent my children's computer from being able to connect to
my neighborhood's unsecured network.

How can I keep it from appearing in the list of available networks?

David

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 01-10-2006 05:53 AM

Re: Controlling Access to Outside Wireless Networks

Hi

If your Kids are computer savvy and you are using mainstream Entry Level
Devices there is nothing too much you can do about it.

First, secure your own Network to the Max. Configure your Network with an IP
subnet that is Not common to the commercial devices (like give it
192.168.183.x), and configure the Kids Wireless with a Static IP like
192.168.183.227

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Frank Schwieterman [MSFT] 01-10-2006 06:59 PM

Re: Controlling Access to Outside Wireless Networks

Might your neighbors cooperate with securing their equipment? The most
reliable technical method is to have them block your child out of their
network. I would agree with Jack that anything you do to your child's laptop
can just as well be undone by your child.

Securing your neighbor's network would leave your child unprotected if they
travel with the laptop. I don't want to presume too much about your
situation, but it is my opinion that the most effective way for a child to
be protected from inappropriate content is to keep any networkable device
they use in a family space where it will be available for discussion. This
is sometimes easier said than done.

Carol 02-05-2006 07:35 AM

Re: Controlling Access to Outside Wireless Networks

If you set your network as the one you want to connect to, it shouldn't look
for another network. Open your wireless network connection properties. On
the Wireless Networks tab you should be able to see all available networks.
First of all, yours should be moved to the top. When you highlight it, click
the properties button and on the connections tab, make sure the option to
automatically connect to that network is checked. Then click on any other
network names you see and in the properties of those, uncheck that box. That
should help.