Velocity Reviews

-   -   Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268551-star-wars-episode-iv-plus-partial-v-and-vi-cover-artwork.html)

unclejr 06-18-2004 05:38 AM

Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork

We have all seen what the box for the original Star Wars Trilogy is
going to look like. Here is a pic of supposedly what Ep IV's artwork
(most of it, anyway) with partial artwork for V and VI:

<http://www.starwars.se/nyheter2004/nyheter20040618_1_stor.html>

The Ep V artwork looks similar to that from the cheapo Taiwanese
bootlegs to me, but as usual, YMMV.

-Junior

Mike Kohary 06-18-2004 12:32 PM

Re: Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork

unclejr wrote:
> We have all seen what the box for the original Star Wars Trilogy is
> going to look like. Here is a pic of supposedly what Ep IV's artwork
> (most of it, anyway) with partial artwork for V and VI:
>
> <http://www.starwars.se/nyheter2004/nyheter20040618_1_stor.html>
>
> The Ep V artwork looks similar to that from the cheapo Taiwanese
> bootlegs to me, but as usual, YMMV.

If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
one-sheets?

Mike

Brian The Demolition Man Little 06-18-2004 04:23 PM

Mike Kohary wrote:
> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
> one-sheets?

That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
Lucas had to screw around with them.

Demolition Man

Mike Kohary 06-18-2004 05:18 PM

Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
>> one-sheets?

> That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
> Lucas had to screw around with them.

An excellent point.

Mike

unclejr 06-18-2004 06:21 PM

Re: Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork

"Mike Kohary" <spam@be.gone> wrote...
> If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke doesn't
> even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

I agree that it looks sad, but Luke DID wield his father's light saber
when Obi-wan trained him with the "floating thingy" that tried to
periodically zap him when they were on the Millenium Falcon.

> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
> one-sheets?
>
> Mike

Nothing, other than they would look dated (by George Lucas'
standards). <shrug> I guess that he wants the viewer to think that
the original trilogy comes AFTER the prequels in time.

-Junior

Mike Kohary 06-18-2004 07:12 PM

unclejr wrote:
> "Mike Kohary" <spam@be.gone> wrote...
>> If that's a true picture, it's pretty sad IMO, seeing as how Luke
>> doesn't even fight with a light saber in Star Wars.

> I agree that it looks sad, but Luke DID wield his father's light saber
> when Obi-wan trained him with the "floating thingy" that tried to
> periodically zap him when they were on the Millenium Falcon.

I know. It's just that the cover implies something that's completely
misleading and smacks of hype. Of course, that's par for the course with
Lucas these days.

>> What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
>> one-sheets?

> Nothing, other than they would look dated (by George Lucas'
> standards). <shrug> I guess that he wants the viewer to think that
> the original trilogy comes AFTER the prequels in time.

He has actually stated that before, that he thinks of the films as a
straight 1-6 experience. That's retarded, of course, because both Star Wars
and Empire (and to a lesser degree ROTJ) are structured in such a way as to
withhold information that will serve as revelations later (namely, that
Darth Vader is Luke's father). If you were to watch all 6 movies starting
with Phantom Menace, this "revelation" doesn't exist and Empire's structure
looks silly.

No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first movie,
if not because it was the first released, then because the dramatic
structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant to be watched
after the OT.

Mike

Dale Hicks 06-18-2004 07:14 PM

Re: Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork

In article <caver9$enn$0@pita.alt.net>, spam@be.gone says...

> No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first movie,
> if not because it was the first released, then because the dramatic
> structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant to be watched
> after the OT.

If then.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

Mike Kohary 06-18-2004 07:19 PM

Dale Hicks wrote:
> In article <caver9$enn$0@pita.alt.net>, spam@be.gone says...
>>
>> No matter what Lucas says, Star Wars is always going to be the first
>> movie, if not because it was the first released, then because the
>> dramatic structure of the movies dictate it. Movies 1-3 are meant
>> to be watched after the OT.

> If then.

lol...

Mike

Derek Janssen 06-18-2004 08:32 PM

Mike Kohary wrote:

>>>What would be wrong with using some of the quite fantastic original
>>>one-sheets?

>>That's like asking what was wrong with the films to begin with that
>>Lucas had to screw around with them.

> An excellent point.

....What, that RotJ should have a big closeup of hands?

Besides, either it's a mockup (it can't be real, it's a foreign site!),
or they're just recycling the covers for the Fox export VCD trilogy
releases from four years ago--
(Just threw mine out, so can't remember: Did the Emperor really appear
on the ESB cover, when we weren't supposed to know what he looked like yet?)

Derek Janssen
djanss@rcn.com

unclejr 06-19-2004 01:37 AM

Re: Star Wars Episode IV Plus Partial V and VI Cover Artwork

Derek Janssen <djanss@rcn.com> wrote...
> Besides, either it's a mockup (it can't be real, it's a foreign site!),
> or they're just recycling the covers for the Fox export VCD trilogy
> releases from four years ago--
> (Just threw mine out, so can't remember: Did the Emperor really appear
> on the ESB cover, when we weren't supposed to know what he looked like yet?)

Apparently, according to thedigitalbits, Ep IV's artwork IS authentic:

<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode4coverdvd.jpg>

However, there seems to be some subtle and some obvious differences in
the artwork for Eps V and VI:

<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode5coverdvd.jpg>
<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers/swepisode6coverdvd.jpg>
<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/starwarsopenbox.jpg>

The subtle: look at the covers for Ep V -- Yoda and The Emporer have
inexplicably exchanged positions.

The obvious: the entire cover artwork for Ep VI.

-Junior