Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ren & Stimpy? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t268540-ren-and-stimpy.html)

Aphelion 06-17-2004 12:06 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

> What's available on DVD?

Only Ren, no Stimpy.

Aphelion

FAQmeister 06-17-2004 07:03 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

"Spookshow" <spookshow@visi.com> wrote in message
news:40d16cf5$0$78553$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com
> What's available on DVD?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark

Nothing, but there are some on VHS. Check Amazon.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Douglas Bailey 06-17-2004 08:54 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

FAQmeister wrote:
> Spookshow wrote:

>> What's available on DVD?

> Nothing, but there are some on VHS. Check Amazon.

Well, only if "nothing" means "nothing except for the three _Best Of Ren &
Stimpy_ discs from Time-Life that collectively contain the first season and
eight episodes from the second season". Those discs certainly aren't the
greatest-quality releases in the world, but they certainly constitute _R&S_
on DVD.

Time-Life has lost the rights to _R&S_ and no longer offers these DVDs for
sale on their site, but there are still used copies floating around on eBay
and other sites. For example:

You might want to hold off hunting the Time-Life discs down, though:
Stephen Worth of Spumco has claimed (in this thread, among others)...

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...0pqs%404ax.com

....that Spumco is producing its own three-DVD set for Nickelodeon, with
uncut versions of the cartoons and other supplemental material. If that set
ever comes to pass, it should be superior to the Time-Life releases.

HTH,

doug

--
"Speak in extremes; it'll save you time..."
--Tin Machine

TB 06-17-2004 09:52 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

Douglas Bailey wrote:

> Time-Life has lost the rights to _R&S_ and no longer offers these DVDs for
> sale on their site, but there are still used copies floating around on eBay
> and other sites. For example:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6302126118
>

> You might want to hold off hunting the Time-Life discs down, though:
> Stephen Worth of Spumco has claimed (in this thread, among others)...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...0pqs%404ax.com
>
> ...that Spumco is producing its own three-DVD set for Nickelodeon, with
> uncut versions of the cartoons and other supplemental material. If that set
> ever comes to pass, it should be superior to the Time-Life releases.

Are the Time Life sets edited in any way?

T.B.

Vlvetmorning98 06-17-2004 10:23 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

>Are the Time Life sets edited in any way?
>
>T.B.

no, and they include the original pilot, "Dog Pound Hop", which became the
opening credit sequence. I do wish Time-Life had included the holiday episode,
though, and some supplements...

FAQmeister 06-17-2004 11:10 PM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

"Douglas Bailey" <trystero@world.std.com> wrote in message
> FAQmeister wrote:
>> Spookshow wrote:

>>> What's available on DVD?

>> Nothing, but there are some on VHS. Check Amazon.

> Well, only if "nothing" means "nothing except for the three _Best Of
> Ren & Stimpy_ discs from Time-Life that collectively contain the
> first season and eight episodes from the second season". Those discs
> certainly aren't the greatest-quality releases in the world, but they
> certainly constitute _R&S_ on DVD.

My mistake. Thanks for correcting it.

Jordan Lund 06-18-2004 01:06 AM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

"Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:<0PfAc.347769$M3.130157@twister.nyroc.rr.com> ...
> > What's available on DVD?

> Only Ren, no Stimpy.

There was a Columbia House set or something, but nothing over the counter. :^(

- Heres hoping... Isn't it time for a 10th anniversary set yet?

- Jordan

Douglas Bailey 06-18-2004 08:05 AM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

TB wrote:
> Are the Time Life sets edited in any way?

I believe they are *slightly* edited, but I'm not really familiar enough
with the various versions of _R&S_ to be absolutely certain.

A quick check on DVD-Basen, however, turns up a couple of DVD reviews...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8654
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5718

....both of which discuss the edits in some detail.

HTH,

doug

--
"Well, I thought I knew all about everything, but I was wrong..."
--Robyn Hitchcock

W. Orr 06-18-2004 09:02 AM

Re: Ren & Stimpy?

On 17 Jun 2004 18:06:38 -0700, lundj@earthlink.net (Jordan Lund)
wrote:

>"Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:<0PfAc.347769$M3.130157@twister.nyroc.rr.com> ...
>> > What's available on DVD?

>> Only Ren, no Stimpy.

>There was a Columbia House set or something, but nothing over the counter. :^(
>
>- Heres hoping... Isn't it time for a 10th anniversary set yet?
>
>- Jordan

Long past, IIRC. I seem to recall R&S began in late summer of 91. If
nothing else, maybe a 15th annv. set in '06?

I'd actually like to see MTV's The Maxx get the DVD treatment pretty
soon. The 10-year for that is pretty much around the corner and has
been unaired for almost that long.

Spookshow 06-18-2004 10:07 AM

Ren & Stimpy?

What's available on DVD?