Velocity Reviews

-   -   Securing a home wireless network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26808-securing-a-home-wireless-network.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBNT00=?= 01-07-2006 06:12 PM

Securing a home wireless network

I am new to home networking. I have been reading tutorials on how to secure
my home network, but I am still at a complete lost. So if someone can
explain this to me in newbie's terms that would be great.
My first PC is a desktop that I connect to the internet throught a dsl
modem that my isp Verizon sent me. I have it hooked up through the ethernet
plug into the phoneline. It is made by Westell. This has been the only PC my
family has used. This past Christmas I bought my husband and One daughter a
laptop and the other daughter got a desktop. This was in a way my present too
as I wanted to be able to use my PC. Anyway when they started there laptops
they used the wireless network wizard and they were online. Now my daughters
desktop needed a wireless network adapter which I bought and hooked up. I got
her connected through the wireless setup wizard too. When it went to show all
connecton it listed 3 different connection all of which said unsecure. I
picked the one I think was ours. Well I got to thinking if my neighbors
signal is unsecure and I can get theirs than of course than can pick up on
mine too. How do I fix this? When I first set up the wireless I never used
the USB connecton to transfer settings like it says to do in the wizard. I
know that the network is working because I can use the printer that is on the
first PC from the laptop. I am just worried that my neighbors can pick up my
shared files too

Frankster 01-07-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

Change your wireless server to secure. They'll still see it (as you can see
theirs and yours) but will not be able to connect. Anyone can connect to any
unsecured wireless.

As for "seeing" your files. Probably not. At least not easily. But why let
them attempt to see them by running your wireless in unsecured mode?

You should have a choice of WEP or WPA for security. Choose WPA. It is the
latest and better of the two. If you don't have the WPA choice, WEP will
work too.

-Frank

J 01-07-2006 06:24 PM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:12:02 -0800, "Lost MOM" <Lost
MOM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been reading tutorials

Did you read these two ?

http://www.ezlan.net

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page1.php

Depending on your router hardware, you want to enter a UNIQUE
key into the WPA or WEP encryption fields in the router and
in each computer connected to the wireless router, so the
signal is encrypted and not open to the world

Frankster 01-07-2006 06:36 PM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

One more thing, because Microsoft "zero config" gets so screwed up when it
sees multiple signals with the same name, and you said you saw a few with
the same name - including your own, I would recommend changing your default
SSID name to something else.

You will have to make these changes on the wireless router/access point and
then make these changes on each workstation.

See you back here when you have more questions. :-)

-Frank

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBNT00=?= 01-08-2006 04:51 AM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

Thanks so much for replying. So how do i go about changinging my wireless
server to secure? And exactly what is the wireless server? My westell modem
that is connected to my desktop? Or do I have to enable this WEP on every PC
in my house? I know I am completely clueless when it comes to how networks
work. Hopefully I can find a Network for dummies book. I am reading these
tutorials and they are using all these networking terms that I am unfamliar
with. Thanks again for the help.

Frankster 01-08-2006 05:39 AM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

The reason I used the term "wireless server" is because I didn't know what
you had. Basically, a wireless system usually has a base station which the
clients connect to. Base stations can be either a router (usually built into
a modem) or a WAP (wireless access point). By your description, I still
don't know which you have, but I suspect you have a wireless router (your
'modem'). Whatever has the antenna on it is the one.

One caveat... if you are configured to run in what is called "AD-HOC" mode
and you have only wireless cards in each computer but do not have a base
station, you cannot run more than two wireless devices simultaneously. For a
network with more than two wireless PCs, you need a base station (router or
WAP).

You enable WEP (or better yet WPA) encryption on your base station, and you
also change the name of the SSID on the base station. Then, yes, you go
around to each wireless client and change the security to WEP (or WPA).

Bubba 01-08-2006 05:01 PM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

Might also want to turn off "broadcast SSID" after you change the name to
something other than the router default. Hardcore hackers can still find
your network but that will stop casual snoops from attempting to enter your
net.

Bubba 01-08-2006 05:10 PM

Re: Securing a home wireless network

If you have a wireless router, you need to enter the IP address of the
router which depend on manufacturer but will be something like
http://192.168.1.1. Change the default password to something personal to
prevent others from accessing your router. Change the SSID to something
also personal and turn off broadcasting. You'll want to enable encryption
like WPA and then select a unique key or passphrase.

Frankster 01-08-2006 05:29 PM

"Bubba" <bfunke.nospam@jcs.mil> wrote in message
> Might also want to turn off "broadcast SSID" after you change the name to
> something other than the router default. Hardcore hackers can still find
> your network but that will stop casual snoops from attempting to enter
> your net.

Although turning off SSID broadcasting is a little more secure (so is
"airgap" - disconnecting the computer from the network), the general
consensus is that this "cure" is worse than the "disease". I'd suggest
changing the SSID name, but leaving broadcast on.

-Frank