Velocity Reviews

-   -   console::: (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267743-console.html)

Dan Irwin 06-26-2003 05:39 AM

console:::

i just bought a book on c++.net and read about half through the book,
there are two things that i dont understand:

1.when did we start useing "int _tmain" instead of "int main"?
2. what is console::WriteLine and why do books and tuorials use it if
msdn says it cant make a sample of house to use it for c++?

Phlip 06-26-2003 06:13 AM

Re: console:::

Dan Irwin wrote:

> i just bought a book on c++.net and read about half through the book,
> there are two things that i dont understand:

Further questions will work best on a .net newsgroup; this one tries to
discuss platform-neutral C++.

> 1.when did we start useing "int _tmain" instead of "int main"?

When we started writing Typed code that could re-compile for "unicode"
easily.

Things containing T, such as TCHAR or STRTCHR, typically toggle by a UNICODE
macro. If that's on, they front wchar_t (which is standard). If that's off,
they front char (which is standard and more familiar).

The 16-bit wchar_t characters can store wide code pages, such as UTF-16,
which some folks causally refer to as "Unicode".

Be fooled by imitations. 'char' type can store UTF-8, which is just as
global.

But never increment a character pointer, such as pc++, and expect it to
point to the "beginning" of a complete character if your string could
contain multi-byte characters.

> 2. what is console::WriteLine and why do books and tuorials use it if
> msdn says it cant make a sample of house to use it for c++?

Sample of house?

That is probably some kind of character-mode function, such as "ncurses" for
the GNU/Un*x/VT technologies.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces