Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Player Progressive Scan Quest's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267454-dvd-player-progressive-scan-quests.html)

Robert11 05-30-2004 02:36 PM

DVD Player Progressive Scan Quest's

Hi,

Much thanks again for all the help, and answers to my
dumb questions. Finally learning about this stuff.

I have a new Panasonic DVD player with a Progressive scan out select option.
It is feeding a 3 year old Panasonic 27" Analog TV, model CT-27 D11

Would like to make sure I am understanding the following correctly.

a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
going to the TV, I can
expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
than composite.

Right ?

b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
sure for this model No. ?)
Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
with my TV, is
of no value whatever.

Right ?

c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
with digital TV sets ?

Thanks,
Bob

Biz 05-30-2004 06:08 PM

Re: DVD Player Progressive Scan Quest's

"Robert11" <rgsxrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Much thanks again for all the help, and answers to my
> dumb questions. Finally learning about this stuff.
>
> I have a new Panasonic DVD player with a Progressive scan out select

option.
> It is feeding a 3 year old Panasonic 27" Analog TV, model CT-27 D11
>
> Would like to make sure I am understanding the following correctly.
>
> a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
> going to the TV, I can
> expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
> than composite.
>
> Right ?

Correct in most cases. Some people see significant improvement, some see
small improvement, there are a few others that see no improvement.

> b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
> sure for this model No. ?)
> Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
> with my TV, is
> of no value whatever.
>
> Right ?

Correct, unless the component inputs on your tv are labelled 480p or
progressive, etc..then it is likely that your tv is not progressive. Your
owners manual will tell you for sure.

> c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
> with digital TV sets ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Some of the more expensive one do, but its much more normal to see on
HDTV/HDTV ready sets...

Grand Inquisitor 05-30-2004 08:38 PM

Robert11 wrote:
> a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
> going to the TV, I can
> expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
> than composite.
>
> Right ?

Yes.

> b. I believe that my TV does Not have Progressive Scan (anyone know for
> sure for this model No. ?)
> Therefore, the Progressive Scan option that the DVD player has, used
> with my TV, is
> of no value whatever.
>
> Right ?

Not until you upgrade to an HDTV.

> c. Can analog TV's have Progressive Scan options, or is it just offered
> with digital TV sets ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Sort of. There's a format called EDTV (enhanced-definition tv) that is
the 8-track of tv formats, it never really took off. It offers a
widescreen, progressive picture but not a high-definition one. You
might even find some EDTVs for sale at Best Buy, with a misleading label
saying "HD-compatible," which only means it can accept an HD signal, NOT
display an HD picture. Many of the cheaper plasma and LCD displays are
EDTV (and many of their owners believe they own HDTVs). Which brings me
to my next piece of advice: unless you are outfitting a cramped space
like a spare bedroom or an RV, do not waste money on a plasma tv or LCD
tv. They give you an inferior picture for a greater price.

--
"I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
heard all day."

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor 05-30-2004 08:43 PM

Biz wrote:
>>a. Even with just the Interlaced output (rather than progressive scan)
>>going to the TV, I can
>>expect a significantly better picture with component output cabling rather
>>than composite.
>>
>> Right ?

> Correct in most cases. Some people see significant improvement, some see
> small improvement, there are a few others that see no improvement.

I think people who see little or no difference need to have their eyes
examined (and I really mean that they should, maybe they're color-blind
or going near-sighted).