Velocity Reviews

-   -   Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267309-street-date-we-dont-have-to-honor-no-stinkin-street-date.html)

One-Shot Scot 05-21-2004 01:29 PM

Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date!

MAY 19 | Warner Home Video abruptly cut off distribution to videogame
retailer Electronics Boutique after the chain began selling the Lord of
the Rings: The Return of the King DVD 10 days before street date and
refused to pull it.

The studio has advised distributors to suspend all shipments of Warner
product to EB indefinitely and said it is investigating other options to
force the chain to remove the title from its shelves, said WHV senior VP
of domestic sales Jeff Baker.

"It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
with Warner Home Video."

EB Games recently added new plus used DVD and music CD sales as a way of
driving its game business.

Warner sibling New Line Home Entertainment's Return of the King was
selling for $24.95 on the EBGames Web site, which noted that discs
wouldn't ship until May 24.

King earned $377 million at the domestic box office and is expected to
be one of the top DVD sellers of the year, like its prequels.

"It's important that everybody understand we are serious about this
issue," Baker said. "Clearly on a going forward basis, my intention is
to take a very hard line on any retailer who blatantly breaks street
date on product."

Although not a major DVD retailer, EB does periodically sell movies that
appeal to its core gaming audience in its 1,500 stores across the
country.

Warner has in the past warned retailers about breaking street date but
had not in recent years suspended a retailer for a street date
violation. Baker said most retailers take product off shelves when
asked.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...6&catType=NEWS

AstroKreep 05-22-2004 02:53 PM

Re: Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date!

"It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
with Warner Home Video."

and with that shitty attitude, i dont think youll be doing much more

Brian The Demolition Man Little 05-22-2004 05:20 PM

Re: Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date!

That's it AstroKreep I'm sick and tired of this crap!
Now someone hit my music....
> "It's nothing to worry about," EB Games chief executive Jeff Griffiths
> replied when asked about the suspension. "We do virtually no business
> with Warner Home Video."
>

> and with that shitty attitude, i dont think youll be doing much more

Yep. This is the same EBGames that will buy stuff from people
without checking if its stolen goods. Just another reason why not
to do business with them.

--
Demolition Man

Robert Morgan 05-23-2004 11:56 AM

Re: Street Date? We don't have to honor no stinkin' street date!

>Yep. This is the same EBGames that will buy stuff from people
>without checking if its stolen goods. Just another reason why not
>to do business with them.

Regardless of my feelings of EB's business practices, I'm curious as to how
you'd expect EB to determine if some used game or movie is stolen or not. Few
video games or movies have traceable serial numbers, and I doubt there are many
people marking their own stuff to recover it in time of theft.

What company-wide standards would you have them implement that could
effectively stop the purchase and resale of stolen goods? The only possible
mechanism I can think of is to sit on the stuff for a period of time to allow
possible claimants to come forth, but again without things like serial numbers
or etchings, how could someone conclusively prove they owned something?