Velocity Reviews

-   -   1932 "Scarface" with Paul Muni (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267257-1932-scarface-with-paul-muni.html)

Joyeux Chanson 05-18-2004 02:12 AM

1932 "Scarface" with Paul Muni

I know that Scarface (1932) suffered quite a few cuts prior to its
release seventy-two years ago, and I'd like to know if the Scarface
dvd starring Paul Muni has been restored, with deleted scenes
back intact, if anyone has info about this release - thanks.

--
*Carol* ~ ~ ~ Visit my humor & parody website, updated Fridays.
Week of 5/14: Rainyscope's guest astrologer is Agent Fox Mulder;

Steve(JazzHunter) 05-18-2004 06:56 AM

Re: 1932 "Scarface" with Paul Muni

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:12:58 -0500, "Joyeux Chanson"
<we-@re-star-stuff.cosmos> wrote:

>I know that Scarface (1932) suffered quite a few cuts prior to its
>release seventy-two years ago, and I'd like to know if the Scarface
>dvd starring Paul Muni has been restored, with deleted scenes
>back intact, if anyone has info about this release - thanks.

Some 16mm TV prints of the 1950s did have a few bits of violence
spliced out directly from the print, however;
according to the Breen commission Scarface was a category One film. At
the time of the adoption of the Breen version of the Hays code in July
1934 all category one films could no longer be shown or reissued,
Category two films had cuts made to the negative, often meaning the
naughty bits would never be seen again. Since Scarface was not shown
it was therefore not cut, it in fact had not lost any of the PreCode
scenes. However there was controversy at the time of its 1923 release
and a new ending was filmed where the lead character would definitely
and obviously pay for his crimes, one of the most important aspects of
the fully practised Hays code after 1933. Both the laser and the DVD
have both the original and Breen endings, there has never been
anything cut to be "restored" and it remains one of the most intense
PreCode films. .

. Steve .

Joyeux Chanson 05-20-2004 02:19 PM

:
[...]

Thanks Steve - you've settled my dilemma: I'm buying the Scarface dvd
from '32.

I wish more dvds would show alternate scenes, but in the older films
a lot gets lost sometimes, I suppose.

I was thrilled to see Frankenstein pieced together to its original
version, but pieced together seems to be the correct term, re the
scene with the creature and the little girl. I noticed that the film
briefly changes at that point, becomes darker and a little less
distinct. I assume the drowning scene was taken from another
print which had suffered a little more aging than the rest of the
film.