Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   Need more Digital Coax Inputs, Will this work? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267213-need-more-digital-coax-inputs-will-this-work.html)

Tom 05-15-2004 08:03 AM

Need more Digital Coax Inputs, Will this work?
 
I am out of coaxial audio inputs on my reciever and need to hook up
another cuaxial audio cable. Since I will only be using 1 component at
a time, could i split it with a high quality cable such as this
monster Y spliter?

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=654

I have seen many people use normal RCA's to use as Coaxial Audio
cables and they get there DTS and DD signals fine. I use all good
quality cable and do not want to lose quality. This seems like it
would work fine. buy if you guys know of a reason not to do this or a
better Y-splitter (Maybe one designed for digital Coaxial) please let
me know, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
T

Colon Terminus 05-18-2004 12:27 AM

Re: Need more Digital Coax Inputs, Will this work?
 

"Tom" <anon248@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:afb0640e.0405150003.f8e455@posting.google.com ...
> I am out of coaxial audio inputs on my reciever and need to hook up
> another cuaxial audio cable. Since I will only be using 1 component at
> a time, could i split it with a high quality cable such as this
> monster Y spliter?
>
> http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=654
>
> I have seen many people use normal RCA's to use as Coaxial Audio
> cables and they get there DTS and DD signals fine. I use all good
> quality cable and do not want to lose quality. This seems like it
> would work fine. buy if you guys know of a reason not to do this or a
> better Y-splitter (Maybe one designed for digital Coaxial) please let
> me know, your opinions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> T


Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
impedence characteristics. If you want to preserve your precious signals,
don't mix 'n' match the two.

If you must split the coax signal, then get a coax signal splitter (possibly
with a signal amplifier). You'll be a lot more pleased with the result.





Joshua Zyber 05-18-2004 03:02 AM

Re: Need more Digital Coax Inputs, Will this work?
 
"Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OLcqc.15565165$Id.2581792@news.easynews.com.. .
> Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
> impedence characteristics.


A "coaxial digital" cable is an RCA video cable (the yellow one, not the
red or white ones) with a different name on the packaging and a higher
price tag. Both are 75 ohms and are manufactured identically. Any
decently-shielded (not the cheapo crap that comes packaged free with
your VCR or DVD player) 75 ohm RCA cable will function just fine as a
coaxial digital cable.



Colon Terminus 05-18-2004 10:15 PM

Re: Need more Digital Coax Inputs, Will this work?
 

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:D1fqc.17471$KE6.9272@newsread3.news.atl.earth link.net...
> "Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OLcqc.15565165$Id.2581792@news.easynews.com.. .
> > Coax and RCA cables have completely different grounding/shielding and
> > impedence characteristics.

>
> A "coaxial digital" cable is an RCA video cable (the yellow one, not the
> red or white ones) with a different name on the packaging and a higher
> price tag. Both are 75 ohms and are manufactured identically. Any
> decently-shielded (not the cheapo crap that comes packaged free with
> your VCR or DVD player) 75 ohm RCA cable will function just fine as a
> coaxial digital cable.
>
>


Thanks to you, I'm now enlightened. In my previous life, coaxial digital
cable referred to RG59 or RG6 coaxial cables with BNC connectors.






All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.