Velocity Reviews

-   -   OT: Torrent files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267169-ot-torrent-files.html)

Dragon 05-11-2004 11:34 PM

OT: Torrent files

How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
the foggiest all numbers and symbols

Dave

mo 05-11-2004 11:50 PM

Re: Torrent files

"Dragon" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4qdoc.21221$ea.20805@pathologist.blueyonder.n et...
> How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
> the foggiest all numbers and symbols
>
> Dave

umm torrent files are just files that link you to another file - when you
click a torrent file it should automatically start downloading another file
(avi,mpeg etc) - which shouldnt need any alteration...

Darkknight 05-12-2004 12:10 AM

Re: OT: Torrent files

It's not a matter of converting them.
a bit torrent file is basically a set of info/instruction for
downloading a file. you must have the bit torrent application installed,
you then double click the bit torrent file which will launch the
application and start downloading the file you want from the net

mo 05-12-2004 12:19 AM

Re: Torrent files

"mo" <nospam> wrote in message news:MeudnYIz3K0T-zzdRVn2jw@giganews.com...

> "Dragon" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:4qdoc.21221$ea.20805@pathologist.blueyonder.n et...
> > How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I

haven't
> > the foggiest all numbers and symbols
> >
> > Dave
> >

> umm torrent files are just files that link you to another file - when you
> click a torrent file it should automatically start downloading another

file
> (avi,mpeg etc) - which shouldnt need any alteration...

ahh yes, and as darknight points out you will need the bittorrent software
installed otherwise u will get a file which u cant do anythig with!

Colin Wilson 05-12-2004 12:33 AM

Re: OT: Torrent files

> How do I convert these files.. Some one has give me a sight and I haven't
> the foggiest all numbers and symbols

Install Azureus from sourceforge.net - its one of the better bittorrent
clients available :-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/

Rob 05-12-2004 05:52 AM

Re: Torrent files

You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
complete "torrent" file.

Colin Wilson 05-12-2004 07:55 AM

Re: Torrent files

> You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
> complete "torrent" file.

Most .torrent files are well under 50k as all they contain is tracker
info, file list, and checksums for the files.

If you can`t get one to complete you`ve been VERY unlucky !

Justin 05-12-2004 02:45 PM

Re: Torrent files

Colin Wilson wrote on [Wed, 12 May 2004 08:55:56 +0100]:
>> You actually got one to convert? I have never been able to download a
>> complete "torrent" file.

> Most .torrent files are well under 50k as all they contain is tracker
> info, file list, and checksums for the files.
>
> If you can`t get one to complete you`ve been VERY unlucky !

I imagine he's talking about the actual download started by the torrent
file, and not the torrent file itself.

Rob 05-12-2004 03:21 PM

Re: Torrent files

Maybe the "torrent" file is opening, but whatever files it points to
have never been able to complete downloading on my PC. The last time I
tried, I let the download run for 56 hours and it showed that the file
was 17% downloaded, this using a DSL connection. It's cheaper and
faster for me to buy original stuff and trade for stuff that is not
commercially available!

Justin 05-12-2004 03:57 PM

Re: Torrent files

Rob wrote on [12 May 2004 08:21:07 -0700]:
> Maybe the "torrent" file is opening, but whatever files it points to
> have never been able to complete downloading on my PC. The last time I
> tried, I let the download run for 56 hours and it showed that the file
> was 17% downloaded, this using a DSL connection. It's cheaper and
> faster for me to buy original stuff and trade for stuff that is not
> commercially available!

It all depends how many people are seeding the file. If nobody is
seeding and only leechers are connected, and the max they have is 17%.
That will be the max you can download. BT is only as good as the people
seeding it.