Velocity Reviews

-   -   $40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267147-40-ntsc-pal-multiregion-player-at-sams-club.html)

DVDfanatico 05-11-2004 08:47 AM

$40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club

I bought a CyberHome DVD player at Sam's Club and am very pleased with it. You
can set it to be region free by turning on the player with no disc in the tray
and pressing MENU, 19 on the remote. Then select REGION, press ENTER and then
0. Put your disc in and enjoy. It stays region free after you turn it off.
You can verify this hack at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

You can buy foreign discs in Chinatowns or Amazon.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de,
Amazon.jp.

There are also worldwide DVD sites at
http://www.worldwidedvdforums.com/links.php

DVDfanatico@aol.com

JMas493 05-11-2004 02:21 PM

Re: $40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club

Are the DVDs then viewable on a standard U.S. television?

Justin 05-11-2004 02:55 PM

JMas493 wrote on [11 May 2004 14:21:29 GMT]:
> Are the DVDs then viewable on a standard U.S. television?

yes

Robert Morgan 05-11-2004 03:14 PM

Re: $40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club

>> Are the DVDs then viewable on a standard U.S. television?
>
>yes

With a caveat: when confronted with both PAL and anamorphic, the player only
does the PAL-to-NTSC conversion... if you're using a 4:3 display, you'll get
squished video.

I've also noticed a few audio glitches with CyberHome; the first few seconds of
playback tends to have little audio drop-outs, and it's something I've noticed
on several players.

Still, the PAL-NTSC conversion is a nice feature.

DVDfanatico 05-12-2004 03:52 PM

Re: $40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club

hmm. I watch foreign language films on a small TV and I haven't really noticed
the anamorphic squeeze in PAL. I watched Der Bulle und Das Madchen (a Jurgen
Prochnow film) on my little 9 inch TV and it seemed normal. The DVD is 16:9.

Does anyone know if the other CyberHome players and their recorder DVR-1500 can
play PAL discs on a 4:3 TV correctly?

lrulan 05-12-2004 04:48 PM

"DVDfanatico" <dvdfanatico@aol.com> wrote in message
> hmm. I watch foreign language films on a small TV and I haven't really

noticed
> the anamorphic squeeze in PAL. I watched Der Bulle und Das Madchen (a

Jurgen
> Prochnow film) on my little 9 inch TV and it seemed normal. The DVD is

16:9.

> Does anyone know if the other CyberHome players and their recorder

DVR-1500 can
> play PAL discs on a 4:3 TV correctly?

The Cyberhome dvd players will convert anamorphic PAL to NTSC with the
correct aspect ratio, not squoosed or stretched. However, the Cyberhome 1500
dvd recorder IS NOT multi-region and so far there has been no hack found to
make this unit play other than Region 1 dvds.

Richard C. 05-14-2004 09:39 PM

: I bought a CyberHome DVD player at Sam's Club and am very pleased with
it. You
: can set it to be region free by turning on the player with no disc in
the tray
: and pressing MENU, 19 on the remote. Then select REGION, press ENTER
and then
: 0. Put your disc in and enjoy. It stays region free after you turn
it off.
: You can verify this hack at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
:
==============
I just bought one and set it up.

It plays PAL R2 perfectly on my system.

One problem:
I cannot get the component outputs to work no matter what I do.
I have tried interlaced and progressive. Neither outputs the component.
I have to fall back to composite.

Any ideas?
Faulty unit?

Richard
=====================

DVDfanatico 05-15-2004 03:27 PM

DVDfanatico 05-15-2004 03:45 PM

Re: $40 NTSC/PAL multiregion player at Sam's Club

>: You can verify this hack at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
>:
>==============
>I just bought one and set it up.
>
>It plays PAL R2 perfectly on my system.
>
>One problem:
>I cannot get the component outputs to work no matter what I do.
>I have tried interlaced and progressive. Neither outputs the component.
>I have to fall back to composite.
>
>Any ideas?
>Faulty unit?
>
>Richard
>=====================

Press setup on the remote to bring up a menu and then use the right arrow key
to get VIDEO, select video output and scan mode. If that doesn't work you may
try returning your unit.

DVDfanatico@aol.com

Me Again 05-15-2004 11:45 PM

On 11 May 2004 08:47:51 GMT, dvdfanatico@aol.com (DVDfanatico) wrote:

>I bought a CyberHome DVD player at Sam's Club and am very pleased with it. You
>can set it to be region free by turning on the player with no disc in the tray
>and pressing MENU, 19 on the remote. Then select REGION, press ENTER and then
>0. Put your disc in and enjoy. It stays region free after you turn it off.
>You can verify this hack at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

After I read this I went out and bought one from Fry's (Best Buy was
out of them). Took it home, did the trick and it stayed on Region 1
even after I reset the unit. I've order a couple of DVDs from
amazon.co.uk and amazon.fr to try it out, hopefully it'll work when
they get here in a couple of weeks.

If these work, I've about 20 more I'd like to buy. I'd hoped there
was a decent version of Titanic in at least one of the Regions but no,
they're all letterbox so no luck there.

Thanks for the tip!