Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD playback (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t267129-dvd-playback.html)

MC 05-09-2004 03:13 PM

DVD playback

I have converted an AVI file to MPEG2 and it plays perfectly fine on two DVD
players. However, on the third player, there is video but no audio. I have
backed up an original DVD on to a 4.7Gb disk and all three players plays
without any problem. Am I right in thinking that the player that refuses to
play the converted AVI properly needs to be replaced. This player is about
three years old and not too sure whether it has anything to do with the DVD
technology built around that time. If so, it doesn't make sense as it plays
the backup DVD's.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. TIA

Chris Gyotar 05-09-2004 03:48 PM

Re: DVD playback

I have the exact same problem..

APEX AD-1225

It plays backups perfectly, but not my homemade DVD's. Yet the homemade
DVD's work on my downstairs player for me! There must be some sort of option
we are not seeing.

Guess Who 05-09-2004 04:52 PM

Re: DVD playback

What type of audio is encoded on the disc, LPCM, MPEG or AC3? AC3 is
actually the standard for NTSC DVD, but most NTSC players do support MPEG
audio. I have a problem with MPEG audio on one of my 3 home players. They
will play, but after a while the audio will stutter (video is unaffected).
If I pause a few times, the audio will return to normal, for a while, then
act up again. It does not do this with AC3 or LPCM audio.

Try authoring a DVD with LPCM audio as a test. You'll lose a chunk of the
recording space, though.