Velocity Reviews

-   -   It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t266830-its-true-self-censoring-dvd-player.html)

Mike Davis 04-18-2004 05:22 AM

It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player

Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
yourself;
What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

Cernovog 04-18-2004 05:53 AM

Re: It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 1:22:03 -0400, Mike Davis wrote
(in message <aOudnS09jb49kh_dRVn-hw@comcast.com>):

> What is this world coming to?

I don't see any reason to complain about it. For people who want to watch
censored movies, it's the perfect solution. In fact, I'll bet it's just the
incentive some old foggies need to join us in the 21st century and buy their
first DVD player.

For those of us who don't want censored movies, we're just not gonna buy it.
How easy is that? I spend days, even weeks not buying stuff.

I would MUCH rather prefer that people buy something like this gadget than
have Wal-Mart sell censored movies.

LASERandDVDfan 04-18-2004 06:06 AM

Re: It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player

In addition, I'm sure that the self-censoring feature can be turned off if
desired. - Reinhart

Michael Rogers 04-18-2004 06:12 AM

Re: It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player

I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
for what they view.

I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
words, nudity and violence.

Mike

Andrew Venor 04-18-2004 06:42 AM

Mike Davis wrote:
> Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
> You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
> And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
> eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
> skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
> Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
> yourself;
> What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

I can imagine with a player like that you would would end up with a two
minute version of Pulp Fiction.

ALV

Thomas Tornblom 04-18-2004 07:19 AM

Michael Rogers <miker@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
> a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
> for what they view.
>
> I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
> words, nudity and violence.

They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...456#long_descr

G. M. Watson 04-18-2004 08:30 AM

Re: It's True: Self Censoring DVD Player

----------
In article <x03c71u51r.fsf@Hax.SE.remove-to-reply>, Thomas Tornblom
<thomas@Hax.SE.remove-to-reply> wrote:

> Michael Rogers <miker@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
>> I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
>> a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
>> for what they view.
>>
>> I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
>> words, nudity and violence.

> They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...456#long_descr

Obviously what's needed here is a competing product: A player which will
automatically detect any nudity, violence or sexual content in a film and
*skip directly to it*. Betcha it would outsell the Moral Minority player by
two to one.
BTW, why the hell would these morality creeps want to see any of the
*prevert* movies that the rest of us thrive on, anyway? Isn't viewing them,
even in censored form, aiding the work of Satan? Let 'em chew on Pollyanna
'til they choke, I say, and good ****in' riddance.

Dick Sidbury 04-18-2004 01:38 PM

Thomas Tornblom wrote:
> Michael Rogers <miker@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>

>>I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
>>a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
>>for what they view.
>>
>>I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
>>words, nudity and violence.

> They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...456#long_descr

And you buy the filters for 50 dollars per year or 5 dollars per month.
Or you can buy a license to get filters for 90 day old (or more)
releases for only 40 dollars for three years. It's not clear how they
decide what releases to include. Among the IMDB top 10:

1 Godfather no
2 Shawshank Redemption yes
3 Godfather: Part II no
4 Return of the King not out
5 Two Towers, The no
6 Schindler's List no
7 7 Samurai no
8 Casablanca no
9 Fellowship of the Ring no
10 Star Wars not out yet

With the possible exception of Casablanca each of these should have
something that clearplay fans might find objectionable (at least if
Shawshank Redemption does.)

I'll leave it to someone else to check out the AFI 100.

dick
--but for now I'm glad that I'm not a potential user of the system.

Mike Davis 04-18-2004 04:41 PM

"G. M. Watson" <gmgw@pop2.intergate.ca> wrote in message

> ----------
> In article <x03c71u51r.fsf@Hax.SE.remove-to-reply>, Thomas Tornblom
> <thomas@Hax.SE.remove-to-reply> wrote:
>

> > Michael Rogers <miker@rochester.rr.com> writes:
> >
> >> I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
> >> a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
> >> for what they view.
> >>
> >> I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
> >> words, nudity and violence.

> > They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
> > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...456#long_descr
> >

> Obviously what's needed here is a competing product: A player which will
> automatically detect any nudity, violence or sexual content in a film and
> *skip directly to it*. Betcha it would outsell the Moral Minority player

by
> two to one.
> BTW, why the hell would these morality creeps want to see any of the
> *prevert* movies that the rest of us thrive on, anyway? Isn't viewing

them,
> even in censored form, aiding the work of Satan? Let 'em chew on Pollyanna
> 'til they choke, I say, and good ****in' riddance.

Great minds must think alike GM <ggg.>
I had the exact same thought when I wrote up the original post. Imagine
how much time you could save if you could just pop in an unseen movie and
skip straight to the violence, sex, and other good parts. It would work the
same as the ClearPlay screening, just backwards to give you the option of
watching the "naughty bits" only or the entire film. Good idea, huh?
All the best, Mike

Stan Brown 04-19-2004 02:34 AM

"Mike Davis" <p.elicker@comcast.net> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>ueled by money from WalMart, the
>eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
>skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.

Is that unavoidable, or is it a user setting?

http://OakRoadSystems.com