Velocity Reviews

-   -   Movies that stayed with you a long time (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t266659-movies-that-stayed-with-you-a-long-time.html)

Opticreep 04-07-2004 08:48 AM

Movies that stayed with you a long time

Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
may even linger for weeks.

"The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
"Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
Translation" had the same effect on me.

Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
"28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
drawn and ready to flame, too.

I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.

Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
time?

Anyway

Dapper Dan 04-07-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9e1f277e.0404070048.152a9b3e@posting.google.c om...
> Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
> long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
> may even linger for weeks.
>
> "The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
> "Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
> more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
> Translation" had the same effect on me.
>
> Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
> "28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
> much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
> mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
> drawn and ready to flame, too.
>
> I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
> hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
> reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
> Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
> and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
> if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
> Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
> films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.
>
> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?
>
> Anyway

dONNIE Darko
Jacobs ladder

Mike Kohary 04-07-2004 02:59 PM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9e1f277e.0404070048.152a9b3e@posting.google.c om...

> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?

Among new movies, check out "Thirteen". That one is going to stay with me
for a long time.

Mike

Doc Shock 04-07-2004 04:28 PM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

Eraserhead. (I still haven't decided if it was "good" or not, but it sure
stuck with me.)

A Clockwork Orange

Rob 04-07-2004 06:01 PM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

"Memento"

Stan Brown 04-07-2004 06:09 PM

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
>long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
>may even linger for weeks.

>Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
>time?

Antonia's Line
Love and Death on Long Island
Dark City
Babette's Feast

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Eric R. 04-07-2004 07:17 PM

opticreep@yahoo.com (Opticreep) wrote in message news:<9e1f277e.0404070048.152a9b3e@posting.google. com>...

> Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
> time?

Most recently, there have been three:

Session 9
Memento
Happiness

-Eric

Wild Coyote 04-07-2004 07:39 PM

On 7 Apr 2004 01:48:38 -0700, opticreep@yahoo.com (Opticreep) wrote:

>Once in a while, I'd watch a poignant movie that would stay with me
>long after the lights come up. It would stay with me for days, and it
>may even linger for weeks.
>
>"The Godfather" did that to me, and so did "Godfather part II".
>"Platoon" and "Glory" were the same way (even though the latter had
>more than its share of flaws). "Memento" and more recently, "Lost in
>Translation" had the same effect on me.
>
>Some movies come close. "American History X", "Saving Private Ryan",
>"28 Days Later", "Crouching Tiger", and "A.I." come to mind. And as
>much as I really, really hate to admit it... "Titanic" stayed in my
>mind for a short while. And I went to that movie with flamethrowers
>drawn and ready to flame, too.
>
>I much prefer these kinds of movies than all the crap coming out of
>hollywood these days. Even good "crap" that garner a bunch of rave
>reviews. A lot of movies these days make me feel as though I have
>Alzheimer's Disease. I walk in, watch the movie, enjoy a little bit,
>and 3 days later I wouldn't be able to recall a thing about the movie
>if you held a gun to my head. "Spiderman", "Hulk", "Insomnia", "We
>Were Soldiers", "Ocean's 11", "Matrix", and about a hundred other
>films I allegedly saw whose titles I don't even remember.
>
>Anyway, anybody else have had *good* movies stay with them a long
>time?
>
>Anyway

The Best Years of Our Lives
Blue Velvet
Dangerous Liaisons
North by Northwest
Grand Prix
The President's Analyst
LA Confidential

These movies came to mind in that order. I would have to say a whole
bunch of BBC TV productions and lately what cable is producing tend to
stick much more then the movies coming out now. Good topic.

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Johnnyboy 04-07-2004 09:42 PM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

Spaceballs :)

In article <9e1f277e.0404070048.152a9b3e@posting.google.com >,
opticreep@yahoo.com says...

LASERandDVDfan 04-08-2004 12:08 AM

Re: Movies that stayed with you a long time

"The Midnight Express"

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"

"Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis"

"Arlington Road"

"12 Angry Men" (Henry Fonda version)

"Psycho"

"The Right Stuff"

"Changing Lanes"

"Stardust Memories"

"Play it again, Sam"

"The French Connection"

and "Airplane!" :-p

Many more, but I'll stop here. - Reinhart