Velocity Reviews

-   -   How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t266160-how-to-burn-a-6-hour-dvd-with-windvd-creator-plus-1-1-a.html)

Buford T. Justice 02-17-2004 07:27 AM

How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

I just got a TDK Indi 880N DVD burner which came with Roxio Easy CD & DVD
Creator 6 Basic. I also have a MSI TV card which came with WinDVD Creator
Plus 1.1. I am using Memorex DVD-Rs which claim to have a 6 hour capacity
in EP mode.

I hooked my VCR up to my MSI TV card and used WinDVD Creator to capture the
2001 NASCAR Daytona 500 which Dale Earnhardt was killed in. The race and
news after is a total of 4:48 with a file size of 4.67 GBs. I selected EP
mode when it saved to a .MPG file.

Does WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 support EP mode (6 hour) when burning to a DVD?
The only DVD burning options I see are DVD on CD, DVD (2 hours), and DVD (1
hour). When I select the 2 hour option, it says it MAY NOT fit which to me
(being a DVD burning newbie) seems obvious since that would be 2:48 short of
the total and 4 hours short of 6 hours.

Or, I am mistaken since the file size now is 4.67 GBs which would fit a 4.7
GB DVD-R?

Thanks In Advance,
BTJustice

R Benner 02-17-2004 05:07 PM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

You may find that the file is too big, a program called DVDshrink will
reduce it for you.

I would not make it a habit of trying to put more than 3 hours of video on a
DVD, the quality compromise will become obvious. 1-2 hours is more
reasonable.

Buford T. Justice 02-17-2004 06:07 PM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

I think what I am looking for is DVD creating software that allows me to
select SP (2 hr.), LP (4 hr.), and EP (6 hr.) time modes when I am ready to
burn to DVD. I am starting to think WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 does not
support EP mode when burning to DVD.

BTJustice

˝Ks 02-18-2004 01:31 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

You just adjust the bitrate to determine the time...6 hrs would be horrible

Buford T. Justice 02-18-2004 03:33 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

Why would it be horrible and how would I adjust the bitrate?

BTJustice

luminos 02-18-2004 04:26 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

At this bitrate it will look very blocky, particularly if the source is
noisy or has a lot of activity...worse than an old VHS tape.

Erika 02-18-2004 05:06 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

> You just adjust the bitrate to determine the time...6 hrs would be
horrible

Not if he uses 352x240. At that resolution, he could use a bitrate of around
1400-1500kbit/sec and fit 6 hours on a disk. If his source material is
clean, it will look as good as VHS, possibly even a little bit better.

John Savard 02-19-2004 12:44 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:07:39 -0600, "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com>
wrote, in part:

>I think what I am looking for is DVD creating software that allows me to
>select SP (2 hr.), LP (4 hr.), and EP (6 hr.) time modes when I am ready to
>burn to DVD.

These modes are not applicable to DVD. You are thinking of VHS
videotape, which has these modes in order that the offset between
frames will be a whole number of lines, to permit special effects.
(Well, at least that applies to SP and EP.)

John Savard

Old Nick 02-19-2004 01:41 AM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:27:10 -0600, "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Gah! These bloody programmes! Most of them are so "simplified" as to
ve uselessly confusing!

OK. I am no expert.

You have it pretty well right when you say the file size is what
matters. Unfortunately, you cannot get 4.7GB on a 4.7GB DVD, but about
4.3GB, due to the "bits and pieces" that are on there for formatting
etc.

I do not have WinDVD Creator. Does it have the option to make a DVD
directory on the HD, rather than make a DVD (something like "create
DVD fiels on disk" rather than "burn DVD")? This will save you the
price of a lot of coasters. In theory, the 120 min DVD on CD option
should work, and you should not lose too much quality, as you have
already compressed the file down to near as dammit 4.3 GB anyway. The
best way to do it, if the programme allows, is to cut a small portion
of the total tape, say 15 minutes, and make a HD "DVD file tree",
using the DVD on CD setting. See how big the file is for 15 minutes,
and also whether the quality is acceptable. It should be better than
tape anyway. Once you know that 15 minutes uses XX MB of disk, you can
extrapolate out to 5 hours (allow at least that much headroom) and see
if it fits. Then make a HD file tree of the whole show.

I suggest a trial because suthoring the DVD takes a significant time
over the actual length of playtime.

Having done that, you should have DVD burning software that allows you
to burn to DVD. It usually comes with the DVD drive.....oh Easy CD. OK

BTW. None of this guarantees that you will be able to play the DVD on
a set-top DVD player :-<

>I just got a TDK Indi 880N DVD burner which came with Roxio Easy CD & DVD
>Creator 6 Basic. I also have a MSI TV card which came with WinDVD Creator
>Plus 1.1. I am using Memorex DVD-Rs which claim to have a 6 hour capacity
>in EP mode.
>
>I hooked my VCR up to my MSI TV card and used WinDVD Creator to capture the
>2001 NASCAR Daytona 500 which Dale Earnhardt was killed in. The race and
>news after is a total of 4:48 with a file size of 4.67 GBs. I selected EP
>mode when it saved to a .MPG file.
>
>Does WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 support EP mode (6 hour) when burning to a DVD?
>The only DVD burning options I see are DVD on CD, DVD (2 hours), and DVD (1
>hour). When I select the 2 hour option, it says it MAY NOT fit which to me
>(being a DVD burning newbie) seems obvious since that would be 2:48 short of
>the total and 4 hours short of 6 hours.
>
>Or, I am mistaken since the file size now is 4.67 GBs which would fit a 4.7
>GB DVD-R?
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>BTJustice

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

xmas 02-19-2004 01:21 PM

Re: How To Burn A 6 Hour DVD With WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1

Hi Buford T. Justice,

I am far from being an expert but I can understand why you don't want to
split it on 2 disks. Since it came from a VHS tape the quality will never
get better and you are only changing the format for convenience.

I would try TMPGEnc DVD Author... I know that you can insert VCD Quality
Mpeg video files and it doesn't care.(or recode them) Then you can set up
your menu and save to a folder on the hard drive. (It will change it to a
vob file and the folder will contain the menu and supporting files) If it
complains that it is too big just ignore and go on..

Note: If you try this with the Roxio DVD Builder it will try to change the
VCD 352x240 Format to DVD 720x480 resulting in a file 6 or 7 times the
size....

Note: VCD format is about ~ 3760MB for 6 hours.. (That will fit and can be
done)

NOW.... If the movie is too large then use DVD Shrink to make it fit on
the DVD.

BTW: Doing it this way I can get 6 CSI Videos on 1 DVD with menus with
about the same quality as the TV... (Coming soon to my house HDTV and I will
have to change my ways Ha hahaha)

Just my thoughts...

xmas
www.xmas-i-am.com