Velocity Reviews

-   -   Looking for DVD case (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265852-looking-for-dvd-case.html)

Dave Navarro 02-02-2004 11:26 AM

Looking for DVD case

I am looking for a "folder" with sleeves that allow me to insert DVD's
and the inserts.

My wife is going to be doing a lot of travelling this coming year and
likes to take movies with her to watch on her laptop in the hotels.

I'm looking for a zippered case that has sleeves inside it for holding
both the DVDs and the inserts. I got her a zippered CD case and put
some movies in that for her, but she had problems with customs last
time. They suggested that she either carry the original movie case, or
get a case that includes the inserts (apparently if you have the inserts
with you, it means you actually bought the movie and it's not a copy...
I don't understand that logic myself).

I tried some local stores, but I couldn't find anything.

--Dave

Ian S 02-02-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Looking for DVD case

"Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> I am looking for a "folder" with sleeves that allow me to insert DVD's
> and the inserts.
>
> My wife is going to be doing a lot of travelling this coming year and
> likes to take movies with her to watch on her laptop in the hotels.
>
> I'm looking for a zippered case that has sleeves inside it for holding
> both the DVDs and the inserts. I got her a zippered CD case and put
> some movies in that for her, but she had problems with customs last
> time. They suggested that she either carry the original movie case, or
> get a case that includes the inserts (apparently if you have the inserts
> with you, it means you actually bought the movie and it's not a copy...
> I don't understand that logic myself).
>
> I tried some local stores, but I couldn't find anything.

I would advise against this.

Nothing should ever be allowed to come into contact with the working surface
of a DVD. While a CD will still play with considerable scratching, the
slightest mark on a DVD will stop it dead.

Ian S

JMKAUFFMAN 02-02-2004 04:10 PM

Re: Looking for DVD case

>While a CD will still play with considerable scratching, the
>slightest mark on a DVD will stop it dead.

Boy, you must not have kids!! :) We take our DVDs with us a lot on trips in a
large zipper case originally designed for CDs. No unreasonable wear and tear
whatsoever (that is, beyond what my sons do them "naturally").

Justin 02-02-2004 04:48 PM

Re: Looking for DVD case

JMKAUFFMAN wrote on [02 Feb 2004 16:10:19 GMT]:
>>While a CD will still play with considerable scratching, the
>>slightest mark on a DVD will stop it dead.
>>

> Boy, you must not have kids!! :) We take our DVDs with us a lot on trips in a
> large zipper case originally designed for CDs. No unreasonable wear and tear
> whatsoever (that is, beyond what my sons do them "naturally").

So... This natural wear and tear is? Not natural? Yeah. I thought so.

Head Hunter 02-02-2004 09:29 PM

Re: Looking for DVD case

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=134+1295

Will 02-03-2004 12:11 AM

Re: Looking for DVD case

"Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> I am looking for a "folder" with sleeves that allow me to insert DVD's
> and the inserts.
>
> My wife is going to be doing a lot of travelling this coming year and
> likes to take movies with her to watch on her laptop in the hotels.
>
> I'm looking for a zippered case that has sleeves inside it for holding
> both the DVDs and the inserts. I got her a zippered CD case and put
> some movies in that for her, but she had problems with customs last
> time. They suggested that she either carry the original movie case, or
> get a case that includes the inserts (apparently if you have the inserts
> with you, it means you actually bought the movie and it's not a copy...
> I don't understand that logic myself).
>
> I tried some local stores, but I couldn't find anything.
>
> --Dave

UniKeep makes an enclosed hard plastic 3-ring binder (no zipper, rather it
is plastic like an oversized DVD case actually) and new DVD pages which I
really am impressed by. If you simply add some "page protectors" into it you
can save the cover artwork too. And since it is entirely made of plastic,
with no metal rings, it will pass through airport x-ray without any hassle.

Do a keyword search at Staples or MicroCenter for "unikeep" and you'll see
their binders, and their disc pages. So far only Staples *online* has them,
they aren't in the physical Staples stores. MicroCenter has them both online
and instore. Oh, also Univenture.com online has them:

http://www.univenture.com/acatalog/disc_binders.html
and scroll down to "Unikeep Full Size CD 80".
Ignore the other binders as only this one is fully enclosed on all sides and
made without any metal.

Dave Navarro 02-03-2004 07:30 AM

Re: Looking for DVD case

In article <20040202111019.11514.00001309@mb-m12.aol.com>,
jmkauffman@aol.comatose says...
> >While a CD will still play with considerable scratching, the
> >slightest mark on a DVD will stop it dead.

> Boy, you must not have kids!! :) We take our DVDs with us a lot on trips in a
> large zipper case originally designed for CDs. No unreasonable wear and tear
> whatsoever (that is, beyond what my sons do them "naturally").

I'd love to send her with backups on DVDR media, but it causes all kinds
of problems with Customs when you do that.

I'm looking at buying a copy of Dr DivX and converting all of her movies
to DivX and burning them to CD's.

--Dave

Dave Navarro 02-03-2004 07:31 AM

Re: Looking for DVD case