Velocity Reviews

-   -   Going to London soon. Help, please? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265826-going-to-london-soon-help-please.html)

Joseph A. Gervasi \(Exhumed Films/Diabolik DVD\) 01-31-2004 11:13 PM

Going to London soon. Help, please?

Hi. I'm going to London for a week (Feb. 18 - 25, 2004) thanks to a cheap
flight and a free place to stay. I was there once before had a jolly good
time (sorry). I'm looking for any cool shops I might have missed and I'd
like to be clued in to any interesting cult/art/horror/classic film
screenings that might be going on in town. Of course I'm going to score a
Time Out when I get into the city and the friend I'm staying with will know
some things, but any other input is appreciated. I'm also looking for great
DVD stores and bookstores, especially places that have a decent used
selection. I co-run Diabolik DVD, so I can get most DVD titles through the
business, but as a collector I'm always looking for discs that may have
fallen below my radar. As for books, I'm a big collector of those (not so
much the horror titles any more, but film books, history, literature, etc.)
as well, so any recommendations are appreciated. I thank you for your time.
All the Best, Joseph
DeadStare4Life@Hotmail.com
www.ExhumedFilms.com
www.DiabolikDVD.com

Matt Robinson 02-01-2004 12:05 AM

Re: Going to London soon. Help, please?

> Hi. I'm going to London for a week (Feb. 18 - 25, 2004) thanks to a cheap
> flight and a free place to stay. I was there once before had a jolly good
> time (sorry). I'm looking for any cool shops I might have missed

Check out the Cinema Store near Leicester Square - its split into 2, one has
toys and geeky merchandise, but the other has loads of DVDs including
obscure rare/foreign stuff you wouldn't find in most places, as well as an
incredible selection of movie-related books. Info here;
http://www.the-cinema-store.com/shops.htm

Mike7883uk 02-01-2004 03:43 PM

Re: Going to London soon. Help, please?

> Hi. I'm going to London for a week (Feb. 18 - 25, 2004) thanks to a cheap
>> flight and a free place to stay. I was there once before had a jolly good
>> time (sorry). I'm looking for any cool shops I might have missed

>Check out the Cinema Store near Leicester Square - its split into 2, one has
>toys and geeky merchandise, but the other has loads of DVDs including
>obscure rare/foreign stuff you wouldn't find in most places, as well as an
>incredible selection of movie-related books. Info here;
>http://www.the-cinema-store.com/shops.htm

Cinema Store is very good, for different types of merchandise, as its based in
the centre of London, there prices are very high. You might find it more
interested going round some UK music stores and seeing what Region 2 releases
are available here. Time Out is a good idea, though for seeing whats on.

Mike.

Peter Briggs 02-02-2004 02:29 PM

<NOSPAMdeadstare4life@hotmail.com> wrote:

>As for books, I'm a big collector of those (not so
> much the horror titles any more, but film books, history, literature, etc.)
> as well, so any recommendations are appreciated. I thank you for your time.

Well, the previous guys have said one of the stores I was going to
suggest, but I don't think you'll find anything of particular massive
interest there. It's all fairly generic stuff of the kind you could
probably order cheaper through Amazon, but worth a peruse.

You might want to give Forbidden Planet a whirl (the new one on
Shaftesbury Avenue, not the old New Oxford Street branch, which now
serves as a "remainder" store.) if you're into comic books. (If you
are, there's also "Gosh", right opposite the British Museum, and
"MegaCity", tucked away in Camden Town market almost opposite Camden
Town tube station.

There's also the Cinema Bookstore on (I think) Monmouth Street, just up
from the British Museum. They have a number of quite obscure titles.

There's another movie/theatre bookstore in Camden Town, although I can't
remember the name of it. (Turn left out of the tube station, and walk
five minutes to the bridge crossing the canal...there it is.)

You should also check out the National Film Theatre book shop on the
South Bank, just down from the Houses Of Parliament. You can have a
coffee there and warm up, while looking at the original movie production
artwork they usually cycle (last time I went, they had the original
production paintings from Chaplin's "Great Dictator", which is not
something one sees every day!)

If you're down there, spend a couple of hours going around the Museum Of
The Moving Image. Some very interesting movie memorabilia, in amongst
all of tourist-friendly stuff.

If you're into Asian market DVDs, have a poke around Chinatown. There
are a lot of stores that sell discs you simply won't find anywhere else.

Joseph A. Gervasi \(Exhumed Films/Diabolik DVD\) 02-02-2004 02:41 PM

Re: Going to London soon. Help, please?

Hi. Thanks to everyone who took the time to write. There are certainly some
places I wasn't aware of and didn't see last time I was there that I want to
get to this time. My girlfriend is going to feel like she's on a field trip
and I'm the parent pulling her from place to place starting at 6 AM, but who
needs relaxation on a "vacation", anyway? All the Best, Joseph/Diabolik
DVD/Exhumed Films

Dave 02-03-2004 02:54 AM

Re: Going to London soon. Help, please?

"Joseph A. Gervasi (Exhumed Films/Diabolik DVD)"
<NOSPAMdeadstare4life@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm going to London for a week (Feb. 18 - 25, 2004) thanks to a cheap
> flight and a free place to stay. I was there once before had a jolly good
> time (sorry). I'm looking for any cool shops I might have missed and I'd
> like to be clued in to any interesting cult/art/horror/classic film
> screenings that might be going on in town. Of course I'm going to score a
> Time Out when I get into the city and the friend I'm staying with will

know
> some things, but any other input is appreciated. I'm also looking for

great
> DVD stores and bookstores, especially places that have a decent used
> selection. I co-run Diabolik DVD, so I can get most DVD titles through

the
> business, but as a collector I'm always looking for discs that may have
> fallen below my radar. As for books, I'm a big collector of those (not so
> much the horror titles any more, but film books, history, literature,

etc.)
> as well, so any recommendations are appreciated. I thank you for your

time.
> All the Best, Joseph
> DeadStare4Life@Hotmail.com
> www.ExhumedFilms.com
> www.DiabolikDVD.com

Go to Camden Town and check out the dvd stores there. Also, side streets off
of Bayswater, Tottenham Crt Rd and the back alleys off Leister Sq as you
walk towards Covent garden. Believe it or not, Stockwell has some good dvd
shops as does the Acton and Ealing areas of London. London is the best; have
a great time.