Velocity Reviews

-   -   Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t26566-linksys-wireless-network-adaptor-with-speedbooster.html)

Evan 12-28-2005 01:28 PM

Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.

Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.

As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
disabled, this stops.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Evan

Evan 12-28-2005 07:38 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

No takers?

Chuck 12-28-2005 07:41 PM

On 28 Dec 2005 05:28:23 -0800, "Evan" <evan.joanette@gmail.com> wrote:

>Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.
>
>Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
>clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
>on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.
>
>As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
>disabled, this stops.
>
>Any ideas? Thanks.
>
>Evan

Evan,

Have you tried contacting Linksys product support?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Evan 12-28-2005 10:01 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

Read through their knowledge base. Nothing similar to my issue.

But as I couldn't stand the disc access every second, I reinstalled the
USB adaptor software and the problem disappeared.

Subsequently, I decided to use Windows XP's built-in wireless
connection service...cutting out the middleman. Works well too. No
annoying disc accesses.

RWS 12-31-2005 02:04 PM

"Evan" <evan.joanette@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135776503.216498.249030@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.

Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.

As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
disabled, this stops.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Evan

Probably would help if you would provide more detailed information:
Which Linksys wireless adapter model exactly?
What computer brand/model or motherboard?
What Operating System - Service Pack?
Is any Firewall program involved?
Have you checked out Linksys support yet?
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

Non-Offensive, Professional Sounding Name 01-03-2006 03:49 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

"Evan" <evan.joanette@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1135776503.216498.249030@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Good signal, easy setup. Using with WRT54GS in another room.
>
> Problem is, with the connection for this device enabled, my hard drive
> clicks and grinds about once every second. The disk access light comes
> on for a brief moment. It's been doing this now for several hours.
>
> As soon as the USB adaptor is removed, or the network connection
> disabled, this stops.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Evan

If I remember correctly, I had a similar problem with a WRT54G setup. The
problem, for me at least, was a default setting on the router whereby the
router and my PC's network card were changing the encryption
number/algorythm/key every one (1) second or so. I forget exactly what you
call it, and I am at work right now so I don't have access to my home PC.
It might have been the "beacon interval".

I was using WPA security. Without any security, the problem went away; but,
no security is NOT acceptable.

Anyway, every time the router would change its encryption key (I think it
was encryption), the hard drive would kick in for a second. Very annoying.
I changed the interval on the router using Internet Explorer (try entering
192.18.1.1 to bring up the router's screen) to something like every 3600
seconds (60 minutes) instead of the default 1 second and the problem went
away just like that.

There were other things that I changed on my PC, such as turning off system
restore which noticeably cut down on the hard drive use when the PC was just
sitting there supposedly doing nothing.

Evan 01-10-2006 03:34 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

I turned off drive indexing...obviously wasn't the issue.

If this happens again, I will check the encryption refresh time in the
router's settings.

Good tip.

Alejandro Segura Cernas 01-12-2006 07:49 PM

Re: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

Evan
Ya intentaste desinstalar el driver de tu USB Adapter del todo. Incluye
reiniciar la maquina. borrar el archivo inf en la carpeta
x:\windows\system32\inf (Esta oculta). Casi siempre el archivo inf viene en
el CD de instalación. buscalo y comparalo con el de Windows.

Te aconsejo de que visites la pagina de Linksys y busca en la opción de
Downloads la versión del Router ya que hay varias e instala el firmware mas
reciente. Además te aconsejo que entres a la pagina de tu USB Adapter y
consigas si no lo has hecho la versión mas nueva de los Drivers.

Evan 01-13-2006 08:52 AM

Alejandro Segura Cernas wrote:
> Evan
> Ya intentaste desinstalar el driver de tu USB Adapter del todo. Incluye
> reiniciar la maquina. borrar el archivo inf en la carpeta
> x:\windows\system32\inf (Esta oculta). Casi siempre el archivo inf viene en
> el CD de instalación. buscalo y comparalo con el de Windows.
> Te aconsejo de que visites la pagina de Linksys y busca en la opción de
> Downloads la versión del Router ya que hay varias e instala el firmwaremas
> reciente. Además te aconsejo que entres a la pagina de tu USB Adapter y
> consigas si no lo has hecho la versión mas nueva de los Drivers.

Thanks Alejandro.

I Google translated your message and some of your points are quite
valid.

(1) Uninstall the USB adapter driver COMPLETELY:
I didn't do this as thoroughly as you suggested (removing the INF
file), but a reinstall solved the hard drive access problem, probably
because I chose a different security setup the second time around?

(2) Update USB driver to newest that Linksys provide on their web:
Haven't done this yet, but I do tend to update my entire system every
few weeks.

(3) Update router firmware:
Yes, I've done this. However, Linksys could do a better job sorting and
explaning the different versions of the same model.

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGVsbGU=?= 03-02-2006 03:01 AM

RE: Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor with Speedbooster

Evan-

I just found out that Linksys does not have a driver that is compatible with
XP Media Edition. So if you have that OS, this could be the problem. They
don't know when one is coming out either.

Michelle