Velocity Reviews

-   -   Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265626-panasonic-dvd-recorders-no-good.html)

Vubast 01-22-2004 04:10 PM

Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders:
After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are told
that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is more
than the whole machine is worth.

I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

Bill Davison 01-22-2004 04:36 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

Over the years, I have learned to avoid Panoonic like the plague. Got burned a
couple of times, just as you, and that was enough. My most recent foolish purchase
was their portable DVD player that failed after only playing less than 30 DVDs,
unfortunatley over a longer period then Panosonic's warranty. The P in Panosonic
stands for Poor.

Scot Gardner 01-22-2004 06:04 PM

"Vubast" <vubast@aol.com.dogg> wrote in message

<<Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD
recorders: After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for
service. You are told that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive
will be $595, which is more than the whole machine is worth. I don't
know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I just
know I'm not buying any more of their products.>>

The warranty on all Panasonic DMR-series DVD recorders is 1-year parts
and labor. If you had purchased this unit with an American Express card
(or other credit card with similar protection features) you could have
doubled the factory warranty.

During a 2-year warranty period, a $600 player would cost you around $25
per month to operate. This is a very good value when you compare it to
other entertainment costs that you undoubtedly pay.

You take a substantial risk whenever you purchase audio/video products
without an extended warranty. From what I have seen locally, ALL of the
major brands have closed their factory service facilities and only a few
still have factory-authorized service centers. (Panasonic does maintain
several factory-authorized service centers within 15 miles of my home.)
Therefore -- whether you have a factory extended warranty or a dealer
extended warranty -- many small home electronic items will need to be
shipped back to the factory or a service facility during the warranty
period for replacement or to be exchanged for a refurbished unit.
Typically, these refurbished units tend to be in worse overall condition
(scratches, scuffs etc.) than the unit that you are returning. Before
you buy, find out where and how warranty repairs are done.

I recently purchased a Panasonic DVD-S55 for $130 and it came with a
1-year parts and 90-day labor warranty. Because I purchased this unit
with my American Express card, I was able to double this factory
warranty to 2-years parts and 180-days labor. American Express typically
replaces all electronic items valued under $150 if they fail during the
extended warranty period. Therefore, I need to analyze the risk
involved:

$130 + tax = $140.

$140 divided by 6 months = $23 per month. If the player breaks down one
day after the warranty expires, I can determine what I will have paid
for the use of the player during the warranty period. Any use after that
(an additional 6-months for example) will reduce the monthly cost to
$11.50 per month. At this time, I have no extended warranty on the
player, but I can still add a service contract during the factory
warranty period, which expires on 2-26-04. I just called Panasonic and
these are the prices for their in-house service contracts, which take
effect AFTER the factory warranty expires, so 3-months must be deducted
from each one to arrive at the actual added protection cost):

1- year = $59.95 (9-months coverage @ $6.67)
2-years = $109.95 (22-months coverage @ $5.00)
3-years = $149.95 (33 months coverage @ $4.55)

I would prefer to gamble that I will want to buy next year's DVD player
(Panasonic or otherwise) rather than pay for an extended warranty and
have a fixed-up player -- or even worse, a refurbished player.

On the other hand, your $600 DVD recorder investment is nearly 5 times
greater than the $130 that I paid for a DVD player. In addition to that,
DVD recorders are relatively new technology and much more complex than a
simple player. In this case, I would seriously consider getting some
kind of extended warranty on a DVD recorder. Here are the quotes that I
got from Panasonic for their DMR series DVD recorders:

Even though the cost of your $600 DVD recorder is nearly 5 times greater
than my DVD player, the cost of insuring it is only slightly more than
the cost of insuring a player:

1- year = $99.95 (9-months coverage @ 11.11)
2-years = $149.95 (22-months coverage @ $6.82) (This level of extended
warranty can be obtained on a 1- year parts and labor machine if you
use the right credit card.)
3-years = $219.95 (33-months coverage @ $6.67)

Right now, you are determined never again to purchase a Panasonic
product. However, you would still be well advised to consider getting an
extended warranty (either through a credit card guarantee or service
contract) on any brand of DVD recorder that you purchase. Whatever brand
you buy will still have a certain percentage of bad units and one of
them could, once again, be yours.

john33907@comcast.net 01-22-2004 07:12 PM

On 22 Jan 2004 16:10:59 GMT, vubast@aol.com.dogg (Vubast) wrote:

>Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders:
>After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are told
>that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is more
>than the whole machine is worth.
>
>I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
>just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

I have recorded over 1700 dvd-r's with my Panasonic dmr.
Still works fine. Maybe your cat ****ed on the machine.

Jay Stewart 01-22-2004 08:25 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

"Vubast" <vubast@aol.com.dogg> wrote in message
> Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD

recorders:
> After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are

told
> that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is

more
> than the whole machine is worth.
>
> I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way.

> just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

I have one Panasonic machine that has worked flawlessly since I bought it.
Unfortunately, it is a microwave oven.

--
Jay

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

Vubast 01-22-2004 08:31 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

>>I have recorded over 1700 dvd-r's with my Panasonic dmr.

Still works fine. Maybe your cat ****ed on the machine.

Cat didn't ****, and the dog didn't chew. The point, which a few people seem to
have missed, is the outrageous repair cost. $475 of the $595 cost quoted by the
authorized repair company was parts. There's no way a disc drive costs that
much, and gouging on repairs serves no good purpose I can see. I refuse to pay
it, and I refuse to buy any more Panasonic products.

tom 01-23-2004 06:49 AM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

You're an idiot.

Mac Breck 01-23-2004 12:34 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

"Vubast" <vubast@aol.com.dogg> wrote in message
> Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR

series DVD recorders:
> After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for

service. You are told
> that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be

$595, which is more
> than the whole machine is worth.
>
> I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging

customers this way. I
> just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

Then, I guess my DMR-E30s has been living on borrowed time
for the last two weeks.

Anyway, Sony and Mitsubishi both do similar stuff. Last
time I took a Sony VCR in, the cost to look at it
(regardless of whether or not they could fix it) was $120,
IIRC. Having the heads replaced on two Super-Beta units
back around late 1996~1997, was over $550 per deck. Sony
even wanted ~$120 to replace a broken remote. I've had two
Mitsubishi SVHS VCRs fail and be "not worth repairing" at 18
and 13 months respectively.

Guess I should avoid Panasonic, Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC
(had problems with them too). Who's left? No, it's just
that because of dropping prices, all this stuff is
disposable today.

OTOH, I had a Sony DVD player (DVP-S500) that I didn't even
bother taking back to Sony for repair (because of the
minimum charge of $120). I gave it to my cousin, who took
it to a guy he knows who repairs A/V equipment for a local
school. It was repaired for $30 and is still working today,
2 years later. Try an independent. You might get lucky.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

Scot Gardner 01-23-2004 01:50 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

"tom" <tommy@tommy.com> wrote in message
news:4010c2e0$0$10532$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.c om.au...
<<Snipped: Idiot's long and informative sermon about the value of
extended warranties and how to obtain them at no additional cost through
the use of certain credit cards.>>

> You're an idiot.

And what do you call a person who top-posts over a verbatim quote of the
entire 680-word post of an idiot?

An imbecile.

John Bigbooty 01-23-2004 04:48 PM

Re: Panasonic DVD Recorders No Good

On 22 Jan 2004 16:10:59 GMT, vubast@aol.com.dogg (Vubast) wrote:

>Here's what happens if you buy one of the Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders:
>After 13 months, the DVD drive fails. You take it in for service. You are told
>that the cost of replacing the failed DVD drive will be $595, which is more
>than the whole machine is worth.
>
>I don't know what Panasonic's strategy is in gouging customers this way. I
>just know I'm not buying any more of their products.

I know it might not help you much, but I have seen some posts of
people claiming it is possible to replace the hard drive yourself.
Won't get you a bigger drive, but will get you a working one!

Mark K