Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ripleys game (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265591-ripleys-game.html)

Scott 01-20-2004 08:55 PM

Ripleys game

Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like it is
a sequel.
Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something and if so what?

Thanks

Scott

JR 01-20-2004 09:31 PM

Re: Ripleys game

It is a sequel to The Talented Mr. Ripley

It takes place many years later

Joshua Zyber 01-20-2004 10:19 PM

Re: Ripleys game

"Scott" <scott.campbell21not@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like

it is
> a sequel.
> Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something and if so what?

It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
adapted (yet).

The full series was:

The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ripley Under Ground
Ripley's Game
The Boy Who Followed Ripley
Ripley Under Water

jayembee 01-20-2004 10:54 PM

Re: Ripleys game

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:

>"Scott" <scott.campbell21not@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like
>>it is a sequel. Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something
>>and if so what?

>It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
>book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
>the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
>adapted (yet).
>
>The full series was:
>
>The Talented Mr. Ripley
>Ripley Under Ground
>Ripley's Game
>The Boy Who Followed Ripley
>Ripley Under Water

Further, both THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY and RIPLEY'S GAME have had
previous film versions (both out on DVD): the former as PURPLE NOON by
René Clément, and the latter as THE AMERICAN FRIEND, by Wim Wenders.

-- jayembee

Paul Lefebvre 01-21-2004 05:44 PM

Re: Ripleys game

jayembee <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote:

>"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>"Scott" <scott.campbell21not@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like
>>>it is a sequel. Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something
>>>and if so what?

>>It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
>>book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
>>the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
>>adapted (yet).
>>
>>The full series was:
>>
>>The Talented Mr. Ripley
>>Ripley Under Ground
>>Ripley's Game
>>The Boy Who Followed Ripley
>>Ripley Under Water

>Further, both THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY and RIPLEY'S GAME have had
>previous film versions (both out on DVD): the former as PURPLE NOON by
>René Clément, and the latter as THE AMERICAN FRIEND, by Wim Wenders.
>
>-- jayembee

Further to that, and rather unfortunately, Ripley's Game detracts from
the book by being set in Italy instead of France, where the 4 sequels
to Talented were set. There is also another Ripley in the works,
based on the second book in the series, Ripley Under Ground.

And as an aside, I'm currently reading Heny James' The Ambassadors,
upon which the first Ripley book (Talented) was based, and which
Highsmith makes a sort of homage to in that book.

PL

Paul Lefebvre
plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
Visit my website!