Velocity Reviews

-   -   CYE: Most Annoying Packaging EVER... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265444-cye-most-annoying-packaging-ever.html)

Jordan Lund 01-14-2004 01:05 AM

CYE: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

So I picked up the Curb Your Enthusiasm set today... I can't speak to
the quality of the show since I haven't seen it yet (I bought it
because Larry David was hilarious at the Golden Globes last year when
he won the award for TV Comedy) but the box is incredibly annoying.

What appears to be a standard paper box is nothing of the sort. Both
discs are held in a kind of slider mechanism. There's a thumb tab on
the bottom that says "PULL" and what's supposed to happen is that the
tray holding disc 1 slides down while at the same time the tray
holding disc 2 slides up.

Well, that's the theory anyway. The first time I pulled the entire
tray mechanism slid out of the box. It was only after it was free that
I was able to figure out how it was SUPPOSED to work. 3 or 4 more
tries later I got it to work correctly.

This isn't going to last... Slimline cases here I come...

- Jordan

Grand Inquisitor 01-14-2004 01:30 AM

Re: CYE: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

The most annoying packaging I've ever come across are either snappers,
those giant, flimsy fold-out dealies, or the cases you get every now and
then with an incredibly unforgiving hub. I also hate the 2-disc sets
that cheap out on us by giving us that hinged thing, instead of a proper
2-disc keep case. Those things break easily, and there's no snapping
them back. I must have three DVDs that came with the case pre-broken
like that.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Morgan 01-14-2004 02:06 AM

Re: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

The Alien Quadrilogy is pretty bad IMO. I'm probably in the minority that I
like all four films, but to get to the first or last disc in the set you
have to keep unfolding this thing over and over again. And this packaging
is just like heavy card-stock, it's going to tear at some point or get
damaged in some other way. They should have made a box like the Alien
Legacy. I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.

Morgan

HellRazor 01-14-2004 02:31 AM

"Morgan" <thedarktower@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:7v1Nb.217$l84.150395@news3.news.adelphia.net. ..
> The Alien Quadrilogy is pretty bad IMO. I'm probably in the minority that

> like all four films, but to get to the first or last disc in the set you
> have to keep unfolding this thing over and over again. And this packaging
> is just like heavy card-stock, it's going to tear at some point or get
> damaged in some other way. They should have made a box like the Alien
> Legacy. I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.
>
> Morgan

The plastic CD holders are actually rubber cemented to the box card stock.
I've had 3 of them fall out and I had to re-attach them to the box. Yuck.

HellRazor

Poisonmail 01-14-2004 06:04 AM

Re: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

>I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.

Yeah, me too. And I vote Close Encounters SE for worst packaging.

n.

Bill 01-14-2004 11:12 AM

Re: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

I don't like the fold-out type of packaging such as what's found with the
extended editions of "Lord of the Rings." I find it extremely cumbersome,
and worry about the long-term durability.

Shinner 01-14-2004 02:48 PM

Re: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

"Bill" <wsh@hotmail.com> wrote in news:iu9Nb.7874$i4.3673
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> I don't like the fold-out type of packaging such as what's found with the
> extended editions of "Lord of the Rings." I find it extremely cumbersome,
> and worry about the long-term durability.

Sometimes it's nice to have a 400 DVD changer :)

gardibolt 01-15-2004 04:47 PM

"HellRazor" <nottellin@no.com> wrote in message news:<zS1Nb.50568$I06.290729@attbi_s01>...
> "Morgan" <thedarktower@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:7v1Nb.217$l84.150395@news3.news.adelphia.net. ..
> > The Alien Quadrilogy is pretty bad IMO. I'm probably in the minority that

> > like all four films, but to get to the first or last disc in the set you
> > have to keep unfolding this thing over and over again. And this packaging
> > is just like heavy card-stock, it's going to tear at some point or get
> > damaged in some other way. They should have made a box like the Alien
> > Legacy. I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.
> >
> > Morgan
> >

> The plastic CD holders are actually rubber cemented to the box card stock.
> I've had 3 of them fall out and I had to re-attach them to the box. Yuck.
>
> HellRazor

Nothing is as bad as the old Polydor drawer cases, guaranteed to
scratch your disc. And god help you if there was a flipper disc in
those things---scratch both sides at once! No wonder Polydor folded
soon after.

Mark

terry king 01-15-2004 05:12 PM

Re: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

"Morgan" <thedarktower@adelphia.net> wrote:
> The Alien Quadrilogy is pretty bad IMO. I'm probably in the minority
> that I like all four films, but to get to the first or last disc in the
> set you have to keep unfolding this thing over and over again. And
> this packaging is just like heavy card-stock, it's going to tear at
> some point or get damaged in some other way. They should have made a
> box like the Alien Legacy. I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.

The first 2 seasons of Queer As Folk use that style case, 6 disks each.
One hub was pre-smashed on the first set, two hubs on the second set.
I removed the broken holders, put the disks in slimline cases, and set
them on the remains of the adhesive. Everything fits perfectly, but
it's a pain in the ass between the unfolding and the mismatched
holders. I'd rather have the rental format, where each disk gets its
own case. It takes up more shelf space, but it's a breeze to swap out
a damaged case.

Terry King | The Celts sacked Rome before it became
preacher mit edu | a competitive event. - Curt Marcus

GSS/H v3.0 c++@ W++ N+++ M+$ t+ 5++ X++ R* b+++ DI++++ x? <*>
DNRC: Sublime Guardian of Paradox, Anachronism, and the Absurd

Eric R. 01-16-2004 02:38 PM

gardibolt@yahoo.com (gardibolt) wrote in message news:<7ae73d85.0401150847.18acca16@posting.google. com>...

> Nothing is as bad as the old Polydor drawer cases, guaranteed to
> scratch your disc.

I actually prefer the old Polygram case to those damn snappers! The
Poly cases could scratch your disc if you weren't careful. But at
least they had a removable insert you could put in a DVD folder.

-Eric