Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Recorder What is best ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265376-dvd-recorder-what-is-best.html)

JimboSlim 01-11-2004 04:33 PM

DVD Recorder What is best ?

Hi DVDers

I want an all singing all dancing DVD TV set top box recorder to replace an
aging VHS VCR
I already have a pioneer DVD writer in my PC which Burns DVD-R disks
and does a good job I have a cheepo DVD player which handles the Pioneers
disks OK to my wide screen TV

I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
basically which box does the most?

any recommendations?

Cheers Jimbo

lxe-13 01-11-2004 05:39 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

wait for the Pioneer 107 or the new Nec dual 8x. Both will be available this
week (apparently)

Brucey2 01-11-2004 06:28 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

Hey Ixe-13 you did not read the post did you.

res0r89p 01-11-2004 06:38 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

Hi,
I just got the Lg gsa 4081b 8x, does +,- and dvd-ram. Cost $145.00 at
mwave. Many desktop recorders use dvd-ram. I'll install it later today.
Peter Cowie

lxe-13 01-11-2004 07:48 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

nope lol , sorry

luminos 01-11-2004 08:03 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

What about set top box recorder confused you?

luminos 01-11-2004 08:09 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

"JimboSlim" <jim.horslett@mywifespantiesntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi DVDers
>
> I want an all singing all dancing DVD TV set top box recorder to replace

an
> aging VHS VCR
> I already have a pioneer DVD writer in my PC which Burns DVD-R disks
> and does a good job I have a cheepo DVD player which handles the Pioneers
> disks OK to my wide screen TV
>
> I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
> formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
> basically which box does the most?
>
> any recommendations?
>
> Cheers Jimbo

There is no set top box that supports all the formats and capabilities you
indicate. None, for example,
record Linear PCM audio for CD in addition to DVD mpeg2 formats. I do not
think any suport wma DIVX etc either.

I suggest looking at the Panasonic 100 with hard drive. You will find the
hard drive very important.

JimboSlim 01-11-2004 08:57 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

Hi DVDers

Thanx luninous I thought that was the disappointing true answer Id get. I'm
now looking at the Liteon LVW 5005
which I think comes nearest to my desires unless you folks Know better

Or would I be better putting a Lite on Pc DVD +- burner in a shuttle and
connecting that to my Sony wide screen TV
but then I want Video plus for recording live TV like the old VCR did. Also
I want something simple that her indoors can operate

I don't ask for much just something that works wouldn't life be simple if it
was like TV advert land
we could then take for granted things that did their job well

Unfortunately in real life things don't do what they say on the box

I take your point though a hard drive is a good Idea in aset top box anyway

Jimbo who still makes DVDs on his PC and then carts them through to his
living room to watch them on wide screen TV

Thanx Jimbo

Jan B 01-11-2004 09:18 PM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:33:29 -0000, "JimboSlim"
<jim.horslett@mywifespantiesntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi DVDers

>I want a DVD recorder that is multi region and can read / write as many
>formats as possible + - rom ram cd mp3 wma DIVX etc
>basically which box does the most?

My advice is that you compare also other aspects if they might be
important to you.
E.g. differences in connections like:
* Component video/RGB/S-Video inputs or Digital Video input (whatever
you need).
* Electrical/Optical Digital Audio.
* Ability to signal 16:9 / 4:3 video format to your TV.

Also compare the differences in editing features (and how it playes on
your DVD-player) if you won't stick to your PC for all (also basic)
edits.
/Jan

Brian 01-12-2004 04:12 AM

Re: DVD Recorder What is best ?

The other alternative is to turn your PC into a TV recorder.
You'll need a TV card and a program that will record your tv program
to the hard drive at a certain time. The you can burn it to DVD and
what it on TV on your DVD player, or just what it on the computers
monitor.

If your in no hurry, I'd wait a while to see what types appear on the
market.

Regards Brian