Velocity Reviews

-   -   Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265236-green-haze-tint-with-component-video-w-mitsubishi-rptv.html)

Bipin Sen 01-05-2004 04:01 PM

Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas. I have read
a number of posts that are talking about this *exact* problem. The
problem seems to span TV models, DVD players, and cable manufacturers.

Is there anyone out there who has succesfully eliminated this problem?
I wonder if S-Video is the way to go. The Mitsubishi TV has the
ability to adjust for the color balance for the component video input
(six available color scales). Dialing down green makes the haze
slightly more "hazy" but never eliminates it.

Any thoughts? Comments? Stuff like "Mitsubishi TV is crap, or Sony
DVD players are crap, or Radio Shack cables are crap" while useful
aren't very helpful!! Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Bipin Sen

Stan Brown 01-05-2004 06:30 PM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

In article <82de9885.0401050801.3a53e1a8@posting.google.com > in
alt.video.dvd, Bipin Sen wrote:
>I hooked up my 65" Mitsubishi RPTV to a set of component video cables
>that I got from Radio Shack. These were the high end cables that cost
>be about $60. Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
>DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas.

Low-tech question, but it needs to be asked:

Are you certain all the cables are in their proper slots, and pushed
in all the way?

It seems likely that the cables are in the correct connectors, or
you'd have much bigger problems. But why not try removing each
cable, wiping off any (in)visible dust or grit with a cloth, and re-
inserting it firmly.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Grand Inquisitor 01-05-2004 08:06 PM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

Hmm, maybe your tv pushes green, like mine does. Never noticed a haze
though. You may want to consider having a professional calibrate your
tv, he'd be able to go in the service menu and fiddle with each color
channel.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Codswallop 01-05-2004 10:58 PM

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:01:59 GMT, Bipin Sen wrote in alt.video.dvd:

> Now, when playing DVDs through my progressive scan Sony
> DVD player, I notice a green haze/tint in certain areas.

Make sure the "red" cable is properly connected (if you're using the
red/green/blue colour-coded component cables).

--
- Cods

pbqf_at@ubgznvy.pbz
(un ROT-13 to email)

Bipin Sen 01-06-2004 01:09 AM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

Heya Stan,

Thanks for the tip. Tonight I bought a Mitsubishi progressive scan
DVD player with component output to see if there was a DVD player
issue. Actually there is. The progressive scan through Mitsubishi
DVD player is like crap. Holy smokes. Could I make out the
difference. I could actually see the lines being scanned as CGI
effects of LOTR 2 was playing. The resolution was so poor that I
forgot all about my haze problem.

I played around with the customizable settings in my Sony DVD player.
If I dial down the hue and color scales, I can get to very
imperceptible levels of green tint. It's still there, but it needs to
be pointed out to see.

Walking around in Best Buy, I saw a Samsung DVD player that claimed to
upconvert DVDs to 720 or 1080 resolution. Does anyone have any
experience with these? How good of a job do upconverters do, and is
it really *that* visible?

Still haven't heard anything on here from the dozen or so previous
posters who had green haze problems. Are you guys just living with it
now?

Codswallop 01-06-2004 01:33 AM

Try searching at groups.google.com

--
- Cods

pbqf_at@ubgznvy.pbz
(un ROT-13 to email)

manitou910 01-06-2004 02:10 AM

Bipin Sen wrote:

> Walking around in Best Buy, I saw a Samsung DVD player that claimed to
> upconvert DVDs to 720 or 1080 resolution. Does anyone have any
> experience with these? How good of a job do upconverters do, and is
> it really *that* visible?

Mixed reviews for the Samsung.

However, the next major step in DVD players is inversion to 720p or 1080i.

Players with the Sage/Faroudja FLI2310 chip should be best, but there
are other links in the chain.

Denon and Pioneer have introduced such machines. Quite expensive, but
major reviews not out yet.

The Momitsu (available from http://www.hivizone.com in Hong Kong) is
said to be excellent, if you don't mind importing. A friend got one
last spring and isn't complaining (he uses it with an Ampro CRT projector).

C.

Badger 01-07-2004 11:56 AM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

This TV doesn't have RGB and component inputs does it? If so you need to
check the connections to make sure you're using component. Most commercial
sets and a few consumer have these and must connected correctly or you'll
get GREEN.
Clay
news:82de9885.0401050801.3a53e1a8@posting.google.c om...

ineedcables.com 01-08-2004 03:42 PM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

Hi,

I was going to mention the same thing, actually. The greenish tint is
often the result of feeding a component signal when your television is
expecting an RGB one. Some people describe this as a black-and-white
look as well.

The fix is pretty easy - just set your TV's input to component, and the
greenish tint should go away. You can often find a button on your
remote control for doing this, or on the set itself. Naturally, you can
always check the manual, but usually it's relatively easy to find.

Has any of the advice that you've read so far helped?

-N

Do You Need Cables?
http://www.ineedcables.com

Bipin Sen 01-09-2004 03:23 AM

Re: Green haze/tint with component video w/ Mitsubishi RPTV

I have read and tried to digest all the pieces of advice that I've
gotten. I will double check the component vs RGB input as soon as I
finish typing this. I can't imagine I could have missed something as
obvious, but hey... I have done stranger things in the past. Just for
kicks I have a service guy scheduled to come in next week (part of the
extended service plan). I'll let you know what comes of that.

OK. I just checked the inputs. The inputs are labeled Y, Pb and Pr so
I'm assuming they are the component inputs (there is also a label on
top of them called COMPONENT).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I just hope this isn't a bad unit.
I will be pretty bummed out.