Velocity Reviews

-   -   how do I copy from DVD to DVD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t265159-how-do-i-copy-from-dvd-to-dvd.html)

Erich J. Schultheis 01-02-2004 12:54 PM

how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Skid 01-02-2004 03:31 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"Erich J. Schultheis" <erichchowtheis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Your burner is trying to keep you from breaking the law. What would mommy
say?

(P.S., you're not just trolling, you're trying to use the recoder for
something it's not designed to do. If you want to know why it won't work, do
a little homework at www.dvdrhelp.com)

Richard C. 01-02-2004 03:40 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

Sounds like everything is working as it should.

You are a simple pirate......................

================
:

Gilmour 01-02-2004 03:42 PM

Erich J. Schultheis wrote:
> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy my DVD disc for friends.
> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

we think its imnpossible to copy a dvd to a dvd. Maybe one day somebody
will find a solution for us.

Parker Jefferson Sneeihl 01-02-2004 04:47 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"Erich J. Schultheis" <erichchowtheis@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
> them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
> thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
> my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
> the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
> recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
> preventing me from recording to DVD?

You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase the
DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

Anonymous Joe 01-02-2004 04:53 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"Erich J. Schultheis" <erichchowtheis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

It is most likely macrovision. It's designed so that you can't make ILLEGAL
copies. Sadly, it also prevents you from making LEGAL backups (luckily the
ones your trying to do are all ILLEGAL).

Yeah, there could be some workarounds....might cost $100 and be illegal in
some countries (sort of like having a so-called "black box" is in the US,
but it doesn't call for buying a "black box").

Dr. A.T. Squeegee 01-02-2004 05:11 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

In article <93484eb3ec77570b853a819217c18bc2@news.teranews.co m>,
parkersneeihl@hotpop.com says...

> "Erich J. Schultheis" <erichchowtheis@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> > I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn
> > them to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy". The same
> > thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to copy
> > my DVD disc for friends. I can burn movies from digital cable and off
> > the antenna just fine. Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD
> > recorder or do I have a bad cable from my DVD player which is
> > preventing me from recording to DVD?
> >

> You and your friends should forget all the trouble and legally purchase the
> DVD you want. Not only will you get better quality, you will also get the
> packaging and the extras. The price for many DVDs now is chump change,
> compared to the price of VHS in 1970's dollars.

...And compared to what laserdiscs used to cost.

I agree, BTW. If you like the movie, and you respect the huge
effort that went into its creation, just buy a copy. If you don't want
to pay full price, there are stores that sell used/retired rental DVDs.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Colon Terminus 01-02-2004 05:36 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

Your machine cannot copy commercial DVDs.

Jerry G. 01-02-2004 05:48 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

It is called a very sophisticated copy protection. This is a good thing,
because all of this type of piracy is putting people out of work who are in
the media work force. As the incomes from the sales of their products goes
down, the production houses are laying off their workers to compensate.

I am involved in several aspects of media production, and am for strong copy
protection. For the small cost of a copy, it would be a contribution to buy
a second copy if needed. These small amounts by the many thousands of
purchases add up to keep people in their jobs.

A copy of a commercially produced movie is not considered a backup of user
files, as like user created work or software. Like bought (purchased)
software programs, entertainment media should be used on one device at a
time at one location at a time, unless agreed with between the manufacture
and the end user.

If you worked in this industry and had to feed your family, you would feel
the same way!

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Robert Nogo 01-02-2004 06:16 PM

Re: how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"Erich J. Schultheis" <erichchowtheis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I rented some movies from Blockbuster the other day and tried to burn them

to a DVD-R and my DVD recorder said "Can Not Copy".
> The same thing happens when I borrow DVDs from friends and when I try to

copy my DVD disc for friends.
> I can burn movies from digital cable and off the antenna just fine.
> Is the DVD too high a resolution for my DVD recorder or do I have a bad

cable from my DVD player which is preventing me from recording to DVD?

Please understand that what you are trying to do is illegal. That's not a
technical difficulty, that's a copy protection method known as Macrovision.
It has nothing to do with the resolution of the source, Macrovision is
present on VHS as well. You are allowed to make recordings off digital cable
and the antenna for your own personal use, but I don't think it's legal
either to distribute those recordings to friends. As far as I am concerned,
I would rather purchase the DVD legally.